Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 214161666768697071

Thread: OT Lazy Cooking with Cat!

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So sorry the tomatoes didn't turn out for you this time, jendie. Maybe another time. I've heard that tomatoes are tricky to grow though I tried them only once briefly. I think I had one tomato plant and I don't think it bore. A victim of my neglect, I'm sure.

A question for people here--about sun butter or sunflower butter.

Maybe everyone has been eating sun(flower) butter for ages but I heard of it only recently and found out it (a) is meant to be a substitute for peanut butter and other nut butters when there are people who might have a nut allergy and (b) has just as much protein as peanut butter.

How does it taste? How spreadable is it?

I found this recipe for it but it looks as if it has seeds in it and wouldn't be very smooth.

https://minimalistbaker.com/super-se...flower-butter/
    Hi. I buy it at Trader Joe’s. Very spreadable...like soft peanut butter. I do not know about this recipe but there were dozens of comments. This one might give some info you wanted:

“ I live in France where these sort of products can be difficult to find. So I was very pleased to find this recipe that was very simple to follow. It was a good job that there was a warning not to be tempted to add extra oil as it did seem to take quite a while to go beyond the ‘crumb’ stage. I used my fairly small food processor. Keeping the faith, I found that clumps started to form and it was only 2 or 3 seconds between sessions of scraping it down. After a few time it made a ball and I was tempted to think it was there. Glad I persevered when, after 3 or 4 more goes, it became more of a smooth paste. I forgot to taste for salt before putting it in jars and think I may have liked a little more but this is for my grandchildren so better under salted than over!”
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One thing most of us can still do is eat.

I just found a new type of snack. I've been a fan of almonds (and most other nuts) as a snack for a long time but the other day I tried wasabi and soy-sauce flavored almonds for the first time, and I can't stay away from them for very long.

One nice thing about nuts is that they're a snack you don't have to do anything to to prepare (unless you want to), and yet they're basically pretty good for you. Protein, potassium, fiber.
    Last edited by agate; 08-16-2019 at 07:49 AM. Reason: fixing typo
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate bought some of the nuts today. Have not tried them yet. Got some I have been eating on left. Also bought Dove
    Chocolate with peanut butter. Very good.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Glad to know you liked them, Virginia. I try not to keep them too near anything warm like the stove because when I don't like them to be all runny.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

To honor Cat, I am posting a simple recipe.

Get a bunch of asparagus. Hoping you already know from experience that you snap off the tough bottoms: They naturally will break where tender meets tough stalks.

Get a shallow sauté pan and put water in it. Put asparagus in it , turn the pan up to high so that it will simmer but dont go t full boil. When the asparagus turns bright green, remove from pan. Dump the water.

Put some EVOO in the pan and over med-high to high heat sauté the asparagus so that you get browning on the outside. Don’t burn it.

Remove from burner and put in a dish and arrange the spears so they all point in the same direction.

Scatter crumbled feta or goat cheese on and around them. If you have energy, scatter capers on top.
    Squeeze some lemon juice ,( not too much, taste for flavor, )on top of the food like when you do a squeeze of lemon juice on your fish dishes.

Eat.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To honor Cat, I am posting a simple recipe.

Get a bunch of asparagus. Hoping you already know from experience that you snap off the tough bottoms: They naturally will break where tender meets tough stalks.

Get a shallow sauté pan and put water in it. Put asparagus in it , turn the pan up to high so that it will simmer but dont go t full boil. When the asparagus turns bright green, remove from pan. Dump the water.

Put some EVOO in the pan and over med-high to high heat sauté the asparagus so that you get browning on the outside. Don’t burn it.

Remove from burner and put in a dish and arrange the spears so they all point in the same direction.

Scatter crumbled feta or goat cheese on and around them. If you have energy, scatter capers on top.
    Squeeze some lemon juice ,( not too much, taste for flavor, )on top of the food like when you do a squeeze of lemon juice on your fish dishes.

Eat.
    Food! Good idea!
    I made soup yesterday. Parboiled and then sautéed small pieces of potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic,celery (mostly leaves)... When starting to turn brown while sautéing I added 4 cups veggie broth and a cup heaping of red lentils (so fast) and 2 cups diced tomatoes with juice. Brought everything to a boil and simmered 20 minutes or so. Cooled it. Put it in a cuisinart and blended. Salt/pepper/splash of vinegar.

Yum. So glad today that I made it yesterday.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

That sounds delicious and very similar to the new lentil soup purée that I just made first time, from Melissa Clark.

YOu can add a dollop of plain yogurt in your bowl :)

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Baking Soda Bath for Veggies & Fruits

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

((((((CAT)))))) ~

Jim's low WBC has made me extra nervous about washing veggies and fruits to remove pesticides and germs. I tried a vinegar wash with blueberries and strawberries, and they ended up tasteless and hard. I'm sure I did something wrong.

This article appeared on my Firefox "Pocket" today, and I thought it might be of interest to all the chefs here!

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/h...=pocket-newtab

Baking soda seems to have numerous beneficial uses. Here's another one!

Bon Appetit!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 10-06-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 214161666768697071