Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011163656 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Lazy Cooking with Cat!

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Yes, years ago. But I was a rookie, and mostly did the digging. Now days, they hammer with a pneumatic nail driver. Very easy.

Thank you for the card. I just checked my mail today.
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So the truth is out. Round up your tables and cabinets and bookcases that need repair and just send them to Howie.

There's a going round and round his place, people wanting carpentry jobs done, but send the stuff to him--he'll surely find time to do forum members a special favor.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Cool

I would be more than happy to repair any...ARGH!!! MY BACK!!!

Sorry folks, my back may be out for a LONG time.
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uppitycats View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to be careful, being in a wheelchair, that I open my oven door from the side, so I don't get that full blast of heat in my face!

Another hint: get a carpenter that runs around the lip of the can, breaking the seal, rather than the kind that actually cuts the can. The former will work on those cans that have that ugly pull top, too. I can't tell you how. Often I've been cut on those pull tops!
    I HATE spellcheck!!! obviously that's CAN OPENER, not carpenter...grrrrr... :)
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

[QUOTE=agate;45573]Is that what it's called, a carpenter? It may very well be. Everything seems to have different names now. ("Could I have your Social?" for "Could I have your Social Security number?" and "I'll get back to you on my cell" for "I'll get back to you by phone," for instance.)

I recently replaced by 30 year old electric can opener with a bright shiny new one. As I was looking at them (online of course) I noticed how many of them do that trick of cutting around the side of the can. I definitely didn't want that. I did find one that cuts at the top, around the inside rim, and it does a beautiful job. I keep a manual can opener at the ready too just in case.

Actually it's not CUTTING around the side of the can // it is cutting through the seal that is there..leaving you a smooth top, smooth sides, no sharp edges at all. That was the kind of "carpenter" I was referring to in my original note. Can lids are attached to the can with some sort of glue..and the opener is cutting through that glue, not through the can at all. They really are nice. GoodGrips (I think that's the name) makes one with large easy to hold handles. I've cut a spare can opener in a drawer in case this one breaks, but I will definitely replace it with the same kind if I need to.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cool

Whew, I thought it was me. I couldn't keep my balance standing on a can, much less run around on it!

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Everyone must be sick of eating??
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by SalpalSally View Post
    Oh Sally PULEEESE!!! lol

The carpenter that opens cans around the edge is the only kind we have. We even have one in the motorhome. My wife got our first one from Pampered Chef. It is the best one we have ever had. No more sharp edges and you can put the lid back on it and set it in the fridge. Then I take them to the shop to store small parts in. After they go through the dishwasher of course.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalpalSally View Post
    I made a recipe for a yeast bread that turned out to be so good that John and I have finished it all!

It is a yeast bread but requires no kneading. It is called Easy Little Bread. It is fast. Get the yeast working in warm water for 10 minutes. Mix flours /oatmeal/etc. and then mix the yeast mixture. Spoon into a loaf pan..let rise for 30 minutes and bake.

I left out some details but it produced an incredible bread. I used three different flours but not the ones the recipe called for. I just used what I had around. There is a tablespoon of honey added to yeast mixture. Interesting to watch the yeast grow.

The recipe was so easy and so good. So, I just made soup and we had a perfect supper.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 12-28-2015 at 03:50 PM.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Lazarus)))))) ~

This sounds delicious and so easy!

Is this the recipe?

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...ad-recipe.html

Easy Little Bread Recipe

1 1/4 cups / 300 ml warm water (105-115F)
    2 teaspoons active dry yeast (one packet)
    1 tablespoon runny honey
    1 cup / 4.5 oz / 125 g unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 cup / 5 oz / 140 g whole wheat flour
    1 cup / 3.5 oz / 100 g rolled oats (not instant oats)
    1 1/2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
    2 tablespoons butter, melted, for brushing

In a medium bowl, sprinkle the yeast onto the warm water and stir until the yeast dissolves. Stir in the honey and set aside for a few minutes, until the yeast blooms and swells a bit - 5 - 10 minutes.

In the meantime, mix the flours, oats, and salt in a large bowl. Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir very well.

Brush a 8-cup loaf pan generously with some of the melted butter. Turn the dough into the tin, cover with a clean, slightly damp cloth, and set in a warm place for 30 minutes, to rise.

Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C, with a rack in the middle. When ready, bake the bread for 35-40 minutes, until golden and pulling away from the sides of the pan. I finish things up by leaving the bread under the broiler for just a heartbeat - to give the top a bit deeper color. Remove from oven, and turn the bread out of the pan quickly. Let it cool on a rack so it doesn't steam in the pan. Serve warm, slathered with butter.

Makes 1 loaf.

Adapted from Gran's Kitchen: Recipes from the Notebooks of Dulcie May Booker.

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I'm going to try it!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011163656 ... LastLast