Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678910153555 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Lazy Cooking with Cat!

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Really good tips Cat.

I don't have to cook, my nephew will bring a feast down from my dear sister, on his way home. That's the kind of present I love getting!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Really good point about sharp knives (pun intended).

A sharpening steel works well. I recently got a new electric can opener (a must in my kitchen) that came with a knife sharpening slot. I had my doubts about this feature after always using a sharpening steel but it works pretty well.

Another thought: Don't wear any billowy sleeves. Pot handles can catch in them and send hot stuff flying.

I agree that potholders are essential--good ones. Some of them have "hot spots" and you can get burned. I think it's worth extra money to get decent potholders.

Grabbing a dishtowel instead of a potholder isn't a great idea.

Tongs for reaching hot items out of toasters or toaster ovens or hot pans are a good idea too.

Back when I was cooking more, and cooking a lot of vegetarian dishes, I found I could cut up many vegetables hours ahead of time, even a day in advance, and keep the chopped onion, celery, green pepper, carrots, etc., in individual plastic bags, refrigerated, until the time came to add them to whatever I was making.

I wouldn't keep them any more than a day that way but it's a way of ending up less tired.

I did this trick with ingredients for muffins or quick breads too. Mix the dry ingredients a day in advance, and they're all ready to go while you're doing the rest of the preparations.

Raisins or nuts to be added to a recipe can be fixed in advance and stored too.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

One of my duties in the house is to keep the knives sharp. I believe that you can get hurt more with a dull knife. So I keep them sharp enough to shave hair with. It took years of pratice to get them that way. And it only really works on good quality knives. I wanted to be a meat cutter and I bought a set of Swiss steel knives that were horribly expensive 35 years ago. Still have them and they are as sharp as when they were new.

Sally it really is like moonshine! When I worked at the vinegar plant I had to get a license to work with the alcohol we would get 5,000 gallons of 200 proof grain alcohol at a time. Pure food grade white lighting. I did taste it once (by accident I had a hose burst and it soaked me) it was nasty! How anyone could drink that is beyond me.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I used to drink it mixed with Welch's grape juice which is very thick and syrupy. A few sips, you don't taste it anymore anyway! hic!

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uppitycats View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some safety tips:

Potholders. One cannot have too.many potholders: by the stove, the oven, the micro. Don't try to take shortcuts and just grab that dish because the nearest potholder is over there, and you don't want to expend to energy to walk over and get it.

Others?
    Stand back from the fire you IdIoT !!!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Then there's this option: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

That's been my option for a while now, mostly.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I have to be careful, being in a wheelchair, that I open my oven door from the side, so I don't get that full blast of heat in my face!

Another hint: get a carpenter that runs around the lip of the can, breaking the seal, rather than the kind that actually cuts the can. The former will work on those cans that have that ugly pull top, too. I can't tell you how. Often I've been cut on those pull tops!

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cat, my carpenter is not small enough to run around the top of a can! :-)

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cool

I was a carpenter once, and I wouldn't even think of running around the top of a can.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Is that what it's called, a carpenter? It may very well be. Everything seems to have different names now. ("Could I have your Social?" for "Could I have your Social Security number?" and "I'll get back to you on my cell" for "I'll get back to you by phone," for instance.)

I recently replaced by 30 year old electric can opener with a bright shiny new one. As I was looking at them (online of course) I noticed how many of them do that trick of cutting around the side of the can. I definitely didn't want that. I did find one that cuts at the top, around the inside rim, and it does a beautiful job. I keep a manual can opener at the ready too just in case.

--Howie, seriously, were you a carpenter???

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678910153555 ... LastLast