Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 214146474849505152 LastLast

Thread: OT Lazy Cooking with Cat!

Distinguished Community Member

Been awhile since I visited this thread! So, some random comments:

Kiwi: an easy way to eat them is to simply slice them in half (around the equator...half way up from the stem), then slide a spoon between the flesh and skin, apply a bit of pressure, and the spoon will slide along, essentially "skinning" the insides from the skin. Works especially well when the fruit is ripe. I just scoop out and eat the insides, using the side of the spoon to cut the fruit into manageable pieces. Kiwi is also good cut up and mixed with other fruit, like peaches, mangoes, pears. I love mangoes...

Loose-meat sandwiches: I make that all the time, but never knew what it was called. Yes, it's like barbecue, or sloppy Joes,, with no tomatoes or tomato sauce.

I baked bread this weekend. First loaf I've made in years! Herb bread, with nutmeg, caraway. I had found some yeast in the freezer....Been there for years...didn't know if it was still active or not....it was! 😁.

I'm going to roast a chicken today. A friend asked me how to do that. I told her, "just like Turkey, only smaller.." 😁

2. The following 9 users say "thanks"

Finger bowls: I was probably 5 years old. The family took a vacation on train that travelled up and down the east coast. This was 65 years ago when traveling by train was elegant: China, glassware, flowers in vases....and fingernails. I was enchanted with them! A porter kindly showed me how to use them, and I did....for every meal, and between courses, and whenever I could 😁 But then we got off the train in Boston. Went into a diner. Sat down, ate....and I started looking around the table....and said, in my very loud 5-year old voice, "mommy, there aren't no finger bowls!!!!" The whole diner broke out laughing, my mother turned crimson, and we hustled out of there, leaving my dad behind to pay the bill.... 😁
    Last edited by Uppitycats; 04-18-2017 at 05:42 AM.

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

I've never used finger bowls, but there are certainly times when they would be desirable.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Come to think of it, the time I remember finger bowls was on a train too. Trains could be luxurious then. Riding in one was a great experience.

It still is but in different ways. No finger bowls in sight but I'm just guessing. I don't know if there was a dining car on the Amtrak train I rode some years ago but I'm sure there wouldn't have been any finger bowls. Probably no snowy white tablecloths or snowy white napkins folded in some fancy way so they stood up on the plate like an artistic creation either.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

(Howie breaks into song) Memories, like the snow white finger bowls.....

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

When my older brother and I were younger my Grandmother use to take us on trips and we would go by train. We always wanted to eat in the dining car. I remember the while tablecloths and porters who brought the menus and served us. That was fun. I can't remember where I was, but some place where finger bowls were used. The person sitting next to me I guess could tell I was a little confused and whispered that they were to be used after whatever dish we were then eating.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

At least you didn't try to drink from your finger bowl.

Southern fried chicken may have been a standard item on the menu at the time, and the finger bowls might have been very useful.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Agate, the finger bowls were after I got older and I think the person next to me was afraid I was going to try and drink it - I am sure I had that confused look on my face.
    Virginia

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Well, if someone puts a bowl of liquid in front of you when you're at a table where a meal is being served, you'd tend to assume it might be some type of soup, some ultra-clear soup that is a new taste sensation.

Makes sense to me.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Corn on the cob that you have buttered, and salted and peppered, would be a good time for a finger bowl. It's messy, but oh so good!

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 214146474849505152 LastLast