Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pomegranate oil?

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Default Pomegranate oil?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26648720

Int J Nanomedicine. 2015
    Nov 20;10:7165-74. doi: 10.2147/IJN.S92704. eCollection 2015.

Treatment of a multiple sclerosis animal model by a novel nanodrop formulation of a natural antioxidant.

Binyamin O1, Larush L2, Frid K1, Keller G1, Friedman-Levi Y1, Ovadia H1, Abramsky O1, Magdassi S2, Gabizon R1.

Abstract
    Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic inflammatory disease of the central nervous system and is associated with demyelination, neurodegeneration, and sensitivity to oxidative stress. In this work, we administered a nanodroplet formulation of pomegranate seed oil (PSO), denominated Nano-PSO, to mice induced for experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), an established model of MS. PSO comprises high levels of punicic acid, a unique polyunsaturated fatty acid considered as one of the strongest natural antioxidants.

We show here that while EAE-induced mice treated with natural PSO presented some reduction in disease burden, this beneficial effect increased significantly when EAE mice were treated with Nano-PSO of specific size nanodroplets at much lower concentrations of the oil. Pathological examinations revealed that Nano-PSO administration dramatically reduced demyelination and oxidation of lipids in the brains of the affected animals, which are hallmarks of this severe neurological disease.

We propose that novel formulations of natural antioxidants such as Nano-PSO may be considered for the treatment of patients suffering from demyelinating diseases. On the mechanistic side, our results demonstrate that lipid oxidation may be a seminal feature in both demyelination and neurodegeneration.

Full text:

https://www.dovepress.com/treatment-...xt-article-IJN

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've heard of pomegranate seed oil for a number of conditions. Maybe they're onto something good here. You never know.

One part of the article though:

Disclosure
    Based on the results described in this manuscript, we are in the process of developing a commercial venture to test Nano-PSO in patients. The authors report no conflicts of interest in this work.
    makes me a little cautious. While the authors report no conflicts of interest, they seem to want to market this as a product. But then so do many researchers. I'm trying not to prejudge them. I've probably just seen too many great ideas for MS turn out to be duds.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I love pomegranate juice, but am intimidated by the whole fruit. I had to look it up on the internet to see what parts of it I was supposed to eat...I guess you eat the seeds and pulp around them. I think I'll stick with the juice. I'm skeptical too about the commercial marketing for testing. This generally turn out to be testimonials along the lines of, "I had to pay a gazillion dollars for this so it WORKS.....maybe....tell me it does so I won't have wasted my money...and if I say it long enough maybe can convince myself of that...."

6. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I know that some of the recipes I make call for Pomegranate molasses. I did not even know what it is. In recipes I think I can substitute reduced balsamic syrup . Or honey or molasses.

So, maybe I have been cooking up something good with pomegranates! John and I grow pomegranate trees! I must have 100 of them started in the greenhouse. I sent one to a friend in Florida and he just sent me a picture of the tree with
    several fruits on it!

Anyway, thanks for the article SuzE-Q.
    Agate, I appreciated your comment too.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

So, Linda, you can tell me first hand exactly what you do with a pomegranate: how to tell when one is ripe: what part of it are you supposed to eat, once you cut it open do you then just scoop out the insides and serve?

9. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Uppitycats View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, Linda, you can tell me first hand exactly what you do with a pomegranate: how to tell when one is ripe: what part of it are you supposed to eat, once you cut it open do you then just scoop out the insides and serve?

You are right, eat the seeds with the flesh around them.
    If you go on YouTube you can find many, Many people showing the easiest way yo get the seeds loose.
    I like cutting the pomegranate in quarters and putting the quarters in a bowl of water. Then I use my hands to push the seeds loose from the membrane. It is very simple and easy. Doing this in water prevents me from getting squirted with the juice!

Any of the pomegranates sold in grocery stores will be fully developed and ripe. No need to worry.

They taste great and are a colorful sprinkling on foods.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 12-11-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

11. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I missed this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    I know that some of the recipes I make call for Pomegranate molasses. I did not even know what it is. In recipes I think I can substitute reduced balsamic syrup . Or honey or molasses.
    Pomegranate molasses probably is what they call rob-e-anar here. I thought it was just the juice boiled down. But I googled it and the recipes say to boil the juice with sugar and lemon juice into a syrupy consistency.

As for eating the fruit, you cut the fruit into quarters. Some people remove the "seeds" then by hitting the back with a spoon into a dish. I believe that's the method that is probably on the youtube Linda mentioned. Or you can pull out by hand (much messier). You can eat mixed in a fruit salad or with other food or alone. I'm not thrilled with the crunchy inner seed so I usually only have the juice.

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Parsi View Post
    I missed this thread.

Pomegranate molasses probably is what they call rob-e-anar here. I thought it was just the juice boiled down. But I googled it and the recipes say to boil the juice with sugar and lemon juice into a syrupy consistency.

As for eating the fruit, you cut the fruit into quarters. Some people remove the "seeds" then by hitting the back with a spoon into a dish. I believe that's the method that is probably on the youtube Linda mentioned. Or you can pull out by hand (much messier). You can eat mixed in a fruit salad or with other food or alone. I'm not thrilled with the crunchy inner seed so I usually only have the juice.
    Seems like as kids we ate them and spit the seeds. Always thought they were more work to eat.

15. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My first and only experience with a pomegranate was in high school when my cello partner brought one to orchestra class one day, and some of us who weren't practicing that day got to sit around and open it up and eat it. We did just shovel it into our mouths and spit the seeds. The seeds weren't very interesting or tasty but I guess there are ways of pressing them for their oil.
    Last edited by agate; 12-23-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

17. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Parsi View Post
    I missed this thread.

There are hundreds of YouTube videos with many ways to get the seeds out. I cut the pomegranate in quarters and fill a large bowl with water. Then I dunk the pomegranate pieces and use my hands to simply dislodge the seeds. Then I drain the bowl and...I have lots of seeds and my clothes are not dyed red!
    Linda~~~~

19. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast