Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Personal Side of a Public Tragedy

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Absolutely, Tamie! I agree 100%. We need a balance.
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Our forefathers, 240 years ago, couldn't have imagined the kinds of weaponry available today to just about anyone, who wants to accumulate a cache of guns and ammunition. This couple had 4,500 rounds of ammunition in their home, and 1,500 rounds in their rented vehicle. They weren't on the FBI radar, and they were able to acquire all of these things to enact their plan of terror.

And terror is exactly what they accomplished. Families are burying their loved ones. The wounded are trying to live and recover. Everyone at IRC is tormented by the reality of this day. Tamie described the fear in Tyler's RC case worker's voice, as this nightmare unfolded. We have a connection to our RC, which was in lock down and patrolled by police. Our entire state, and now our nation, is extremely affected by this unspeakable act.

There is a difference between responsible gun ownership and acquiring enough weapons/ammunition to slaughter a large group of people in a matter of seconds. The point has never been to deny Americans the right to own a gun. The point is to eliminate assault weapons and the accumulation of enough bullets/bombs to wipe out a town.

We need to remember that all of these atrocities happen within seconds, and even if someone was armed within the crowd of victims, the likelihood that that person could render a person, with an automatic weapon, helpless is unbelievable.

One minute, life is normal, and everyone is fine, and the next minute, someone with an automatic weapon and a ton of bullets, bursts into your world and starts firing. We can't imagine that situation, because none of us have been in it.

But far too many have. Far too many people in our country have buried their loved ones after a mass shooting. And they are begging for stricter gun control.

Along with the Second Amendment, we have the Declaration of Independence, which guarantees us the right to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

I think about that right being denied to all of the victims of gun violence in this country every single day. The innocent children of Sandy Hook elementary school, and the public servants of San Bernardino, and the church goers in prayer in South Carolina, and the people, who just wanted to watch a movie in Aurora, Colorado. And all of the victims of the endless massacres happening in our country.

What if one of us or our children were the victims? Would we change our views then?

In the late 70s, Michael's school program was located temporarily on a university campus. On that campus, a shooting occurred in the library, which resulted in the deaths of 7 people. One of those victims was my then-husband's Master's mentor.

When I heard about this shooting, i immediately drove to Michael's school, where I found him outside on a swing, smiling. The teachers said that it was a nice day, so they brought the children outside. The police were still surrounding the scene. I unhitched Michael from his swing, held him close to me, so grateful that he was unharmed, and ran to our car, strapped him in his seat, and drove to Jon's school, where they had no idea about the shooting, and then I took my boys home.

And that terrifying experience, along with many others in my life, has informed my view on gun violence.

I don't want to deny anyone the right to own a gun. I just want the continuous massacres to end.

I want an end to "Breaking News," while Jon is watching Price Is Right in the morning, to announce that there's been another mass shooting somewhere.

Every day I pray for strangers, who are mourning their loved ones after one of these attacks. I simply cannot keep up with these prayers, because there are too many, who are suffering.

My focus is on Peace and Love and finding a way to live together as One.

That is my prayer.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 12-04-2015 at 09:51 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Thank you, Rose, for your eloquent comments. Like the image of the toddler refugee on the beach, this shooting really really bothered me. I know it's in the US and I live in Canada. But maybe because it was an organization supporting people with disabilities. Maybe because I am mourning the loss of a friend's 8 year old daughter whose life was a struggle with mitochondrial disease. Maybe because people with ultra extremist views defended in the indefensible in my private space. Whatever. I feel battered by death and by hate. It's difficult to write a book about caring when I am kept awake at night by worries about the values of my children's future society. I feel like an elementary school teacher who shouts at the children, "Too many of you have broken the rules. Now, I must remove privileges from everyone because enough is enough." There has just been too much death.
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!

Blog Entries

Unhappy

((((((HUGS TO ALL)))))) ~

((((((Donna)))))) ~

I couldn't agree with you more. And you are vulnerable now as you grieve Kate and share her mom's sorrow. I'm so very sorry. Many prayers of comfort on their way.

There is too much death surrounding us daily, and it's fueled by hate. Politics and religion, the two off-limit topics here at BT, are the catalysts of intolerance. That's why we're prohibited from discussing them here. I'm grateful that this thread has been allowed to continue, because I realize that it is bordering on the edge of those restrictions. But, I needed to discuss the San Bernardino shooting, because it feels very personal to me. It happened in my state, at the site of one of the agencies, which has served my children and our family faithfully for three decades, and the victims are true public servants.

When I said that my view on gun violence was based upon experience, particularly the mass shooting at the campus, where Michael's program was located, I didn't elaborate. But here's what I have experienced:

I've been caught in the middle of two high speed chases, my car stopped in the line of fire between suspects and police. In the second instance, I was actually pulled over by the police, because my van (with a wheelchair lift?) resembled one used in the robbery committed by the suspects. A police officer stood next to my van door, with his hand on his weapon, while the other officers ran my license and plates. One officer in the back of my van, and one on the passenger side. All with their hands on their weapons. I was absolutely terrified.

In 1996, a gang fight broke out on our street in front of our home, and about 40 gang teens attacked Jim and Jon in our van with baseball bats, when Jim brought Jon home from workshop. They also had guns. Their intention was to kill Jon, who they knew was disabled. They threatened to burn down our home, to break in and kill all of us.

In 2000, a gang shoot out on the street above ours resulted in the death of one of the gangsters.

A few years ago, I was on the street saying thanks to the guys, who fixed our furnace, when a car came screaming down our street and turned at the corner, followed by three police cars in pursuit. They ended up in the cul de sac behind our home, and I raced to the basketball court to grab a kid playing basketball, and an elderly woman, walking her dog, to take them to safety. I could see the officers surrounding the kids' car, with guns drawn.

An aide in Michael's class, and one of my dear friends, was murdered in 1989, by her ex-boyfriend in a nightclub. He shot her in the head in front of her friends and everyone in the club. I was supposed to join them that evening, but I couldn't find care for my boys.

And, when I was a teenager, I watched the Vietnam war unfold, the assassinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK, as well as Lee Harvey Oswald ~ all live on TV.

All of this was extremely traumatic for me, and I still have PTSD from these experiences. I can't forget.

The escalation of gun violence over the last 14 or so years has been utterly devastating to our Nation and the World.

We have to find a way to come together as human beings to stop this carnage. We have to stop hating and start loving. We have to find common ground.

For the first time since 1920, the New York Times published an editorial on their front page:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/op...n-america.html

Along with our many freedoms, of speech, of religion, of assembly, of voting, we also have the freedom to update our Amendments to meet the current status of the World.

The husband and wife, who murdered his colleagues last week, obtained their weapons "legally" through a loop hole. They altered their weapons to make them automatic.

Laws, with loopholes, resulted in 14 dead and 21 wounded innocents in San Bernardino. So, why have ANY laws?

We can do better than this. And we must.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Oh Rose. I am so sorry that you had to endure such traumatic and life threatening events. I'm so glad that you are all okay. I have been awake a lot the last few nights. Natalie lives in Philadelphia and her boyfriend is there. What will her future be? What will her children's future be and what of the world? I am feeling a responsibility to speak up for reason and for caring. It is so hard-I feel like the world is under threat. Having an honest and urgent public conversation about peace, love and safety in our world is so important now. Our children with disabilities are especially vulnerable of coarse as you have illustrated by your experience Rose.

Blog Entries

Oh Rose, I'm so sorry! That is all so tragic, sad and scary! Thank goodness you are all okay! One of my disabled friends was attacked by a stoned roommate years ago. If the circumstances had been even slightly different my friend would be dead and I would have lost him forever. I am well aware certain sickos in this world see me as a target due to my CP. I read yesterday that ISIS straps bombs to disabled children as well. Google it as I do not want to tread into political territory here. Disabled people are statistically at higher risk for being attacked or abused.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

((((((HUGS TO ALL)))))) ~

The scourge of gangs has left our neighborhood, thankfully. These kids were renters, and their parents, who had money, but no time for them, rented homes in our neighborhood. We endured 3 years of threats from these teens. I couldn't go out front without being verbally assaulted and threatened with all sorts of awful things. It was a nightmare.

And let me clarify ~ we don't live in a ghetto. We live in a nice, planned community, built in the mid 1970s, next to a golf course. These gang kids had money, lots of it, but no supervision. We watched from our front window, a steady stream of kids in and out at all times of the day and night. Drugs, prostitution, and who knows what, right across the street from us.

The police wanted to set up a stake out in our home, and Jim and I refused. Absolutely not. I can't describe how traumatized Jon was by this attack. He didn't want to go outside for over a year, and riding in the van made him anxious. So, the last thing that Jon needed was a bunch of police officers in our home with guns, ready for a shoot out.

We were already under threat by these maniacs. They knew that these gangs were living here, but we had no protection from the police on a daily basis. They didn't have time for our neighborhood. Even after the gang murder in 2000.

Several of my family members were police officers, and a few of my friends are retired from law enforcement positions. I guarantee you that things are different now than they were, when they all served.

The news is constantly covering the San Bernardino attack, and the political rhetoric is being plastered all over the news. Much of it is obscene and ill-informed. People on the "No Fly List" can purchase guns legally here. Well, that just says it all to me.

What about the rights of the innocents, who lose their lives or are severely wounded in these violent incidents?

Words don't stop bullets. I want the people we've elected to actually do something to end the gun violence in our country. It is way, way, way past time.

((((((Donna)))))) ~

I understand your fears, although I do not have children young enough to have to contend with the future. But, I worry about my Godchildren, and my friends' children and grandchildren, because the current situation seems so dire and unrelenting.

And it is difficult for us to wrap our brains around this kind of violence, so near to our children with disabling conditions. The couple, who perpetrated the San Bernardino massacre didn't care about our children, or their own child, or themselves. And clearly, the same can be said for every other mass shooter in our country, regardless of motive or ethnicity or religious affiliation.

Keep doing what you're doing, Donna, because that is the positive direction away from all of this negativity. You are changing the world for persons with disabilities and their caregivers. You are bringing that hope and love to many people, who need it desperately. You are doing what you can do, sharing what you know, and connecting people, who need that knowledge and information. Just keep fighting the good fight, my friend. We can only do what we can do to be part of a movement of love and tolerance in the world. And you are doing that.

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

I can't manage to Google about ISIS strapping bombs to disabled children. That would send me over the edge right now. I believe you, of course, but I can't go there.

And, I do know that, historically, persons with disabilities have been the targets of insurgents, dictators, and violators of human kind. And it is despicable.

I pray for peace. It is a lofty goal, but one worth working hard to achieve.

Love & Light,

Rose

9. The following user says "thanks"

"Along with our many freedoms, of speech, of religion, of assembly, of voting, we also have the freedom to update our Amendments to meet the current status of the World." Rose this is exactly what we as a country need to remember! Who could have imagined our new reality. If we could take the "money" out of politics so many real changes would take place. Sorry but the NRA makes makes me sick. They miss the whole idea, no one is trying to take away their right to bear arms. Do they really want automatic weapons? I don't think so, Does a background check really stop individuals who want a gun for legal purposes, really cause a "problem" for those individuals? I don't think so...These laws won't save everyone, or stop everyone who shouldn't have a gun, but if it saves even one life, isn't it worth it? It makes me so angry when groups like the NRA turn it into a big attack on their individual rights. Updated laws could save their family member too. There is no reason for an automatic weapon, bombs, or enough amo to carry out their own personal war.
    When Kelly was in school her classmate came to school with a gun... He had known mental illness and had quit school. Luckily no students were hurt but a teacher was shot in the leg. The principal ( a very big guy) was able to tackle the young man to the ground. I wish this young man had not been allowed to buy the gun. It affected a lot of lives and completely ruined his at only 16. He needed help not a gun!
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

I can't manage to Google about ISIS strapping bombs to disabled children. That would send me over the edge right now. I believe you, of course, but I can't go there.

And, I do know that, historically, persons with disabilities have been the targets of insurgents, dictators, and violators of human kind. And it is despicable.

I pray for peace. It is a lofty goal, but one worth working hard to achieve.
    Smart. Don't fill your brain with horror if you don't have to Rose.

Mary Grace, I'm so sorry there was a shooting at that school. I hope that teacher made a full recovery. Thank god the principal stopped the shooter. That kind of thing was one of my worries when my teacher had the stroke, like if some crazy came in and tried to shoot up the place, would my teacher be able to get out in time? I didn't know the extent of the stroke at that point.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12