Thread: My Math teacher had a stroke!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Question My Math teacher had a stroke!

Some sad news, I found out a few hours ago that my math teacher has suffered a stroke and has been in the hospital for days. He has asked that we pray for him to recover. Please pray for him! Your prayers are appreciated!

I am wondering, he is rather young(40s or 50s) so what could have caused the stroke? Is there anything you guys can suggest that I do to help him??? I want to help and support him even if it is just in a small way because he has extended acts of friendship toward me. The only things I know about strokes are from the book "True Strength" by Kevin Sorbo and that my own disability called cerebral palsy is somewhat similar. Any suggestions would be helpful?
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

My math teacher has permeant damage to the sensory region of his brain. What kind of symptoms can that cause???? Anybody know? He's doing better.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Community Member

My husband had a stroke 10 years ago at age 45. His was caused by a hole in the top chambers of his heart. At first he could not talk and his right side was affected. Now he drives and is doing well but has trouble with speaking, reading, and writing. Sensory damage could involve the perception of pain, hearing, smell and taste. Its good of you to want to help. There is a National Stroke Association, you can get more info there.
    If no pain, no gain is true, where is everything I should have gained?
    DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 20 years
    4-12-09 Trip to Laser Spine in Florida. Nerve pain 90% gone.
    Off opiate, using Marijuana tincture, working well.

4. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lil E View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My husband had a stroke 10 years ago at age 45. His was caused by a hole in the top chambers of his heart. At first he could not talk and his right side was affected. Now he drives and is doing well but has trouble with speaking, reading, and writing. Sensory damage could involve the perception of pain, hearing, smell and taste. Its good of you to want to help. There is a National Stroke Association, you can get more info there.
    Thanks so much! My teacher can still speak and his movements are not effected as far as I know. So could my teacher be in pain???? Could he be in a lot of pain???? Or could he injure himself and not realize it because of lack of sensation?? Could he be hypersensitive to smells? Any idea?? So far I can't find much on sensory region damage. If/when he does come back to work we want him to be as safe and comfortable as possible so my classmates and I just want to have some idea of what functions might be damaged. I'm so sorry your husband had a stroke! How scary! I'm glad he is doing well.

Blog Entries

UPDATE ON MY TEACHER!: My teacher came back to class today! We all couldn't believe it and we were thrilled to have him back!! He told us the whole story of his stroke in the beginning of his class. I was surprised by his openness and the amount of details he gave us. Apparently he felt sick while at work and his daughter forced him to go to the ER. Once there the docs found out his blood pressure was so high that if he had waited any longer he would have died for sure! The high blood pressure was the result of a blood vessel in his brain tearing open and spilling blood into his sensory center. The tearing blood vessel was the result of other health issues including diabetes that he has had for years. The rest of the class preceded as mostly normal. My teacher's symptoms are for the large part invisible except for a slight jumpiness, tiredness and fumbling which appears to be the result of a loss of touch sensation in his limbs. He went more slowly. His personality and everything else we love about him hasn't changed at all! You were so right Rose! We treated him like we always have and it made him very happy. After the other students left I stayed behind to ask him a question about a new assignment and he actually showed me a note from his doc saying his exact diagnosis. It basically said "thalamus stroke". Have any of you heard of this type of stroke??? What does it mean?? I didn't ask him to do this, he just did. I thanked him for sharing with me. He told me he wanted to because he trusted me and as a way to thank me for making him feel better with my messages. It just goes to show that acts of friendship can break barriers and friendship is so much larger than any disability in itself. JUST WOW!!! I'M SO AMAZED BY THIS WHOLE EXPERIENCE!! I'm so amazed to have met him! WOW! WOW! WOW!