Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CN Central: NOVEMBER UPDATES

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Mary Grace gave you excellent advice based on her own experience.

You're not weird for being nervous and afraid. This is the unexpected, and that's a normal reaction to the unexpected. Try to have faith that your teacher's physician determined that he was ready and able to return to work.

If he has an emergent situation, while he is teaching, use your cell phone to call 911 immediately. If he is seizing, roll him on his side, so that he doesn't aspirate. Note what time it is and how long the seizure lasts, so you can inform paramedics. Is there a nurse on campus? If so, find out the nurse's extension or a way of contacting the nurse in an emergency. That's good to know for any kind of crisis. Another student or you or another teacher being in distress could benefit from a nursing connection.

Just as you are not your disabling condition, your teacher isn't his disabling condition. He is still him, the man you have always known. But maybe the packaging has changed. Imagine: he used to wear a jacket and tie and was clean shaven. Now, he wears a sweater and a polo shirt and has a beard. Same man, just different attire.

Step into his shoes for a moment. How would you want to be treated by your students and colleagues? Would you want pity, patronizing, fear, hesitancy, or would you want people to treat you the way they did, before you had a stroke?

Perhaps he will begin the class by explaining to your class what has happened to him and about his recovery. I hope that he does this to put you all at ease. But, if he doesn't, then his privacy must be respected, and it will be up to all of you to give him the support he needs to return to his job of teaching you.

I can't imagine that he would want you, or any of your classmates, to be overly worried or concerned or fearful. So bear that in mind too, and take some deep breaths, and have faith that all will be as it should.

I hope you had a lovely day with your family and friends. How was the Tofurky?

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

I do hope along with you that Kathleen's lab results are inaccurate. I know that you are diligent about her gluten-free diet, so unless she's sneaking something gluten filled, when you aren't with her or looking, then what would explain her elevated levels?

I also hope that your endocrinologist will be able to determine the best course to take for Kathleen's thyroid antibodies. What a complicated mechanism the human body is! Could this be why her BP has been low, and she's been tired? Thyroid?

Have you been trained in how to take BP with a stethoscope and regular cuff? Our nurse trained us, but I have hearing loss, so I always miss the beat. Jim can do it, but he's not always accurate. It takes experience to get it right.

We have an Omron BP machine which we use for ourselves, because Jon won't tolerate it. We feel that it is pretty accurate.

I'm of two thoughts here ~ in the hospital ICU, Jon is hooked up to a monitor for his BP. Sometimes the cuffs haven't fit him properly, so he had an incorrect reading. I would ask the nurse to take his BP manually, and she'd get a better result.

And there's nothing to stop you from doing both, I guess. An Omron BP machine runs anywhere from $40 to $60. I can't remember how much we paid for our stethoscope, which we bought in 1999, and it's a Littman, so it is one of the better brands. Our blood pressure cuff was provided by home health care, and I have no idea what they cost privately.

A new stove! What a great gift! I think your son deserves some kind of Son of the Year Award! How fun for you to cook Thanksgiving dinner on a new stove! We have a ceramic top, and I like it, because it is easy to clean. I found Cerama Brite to be the best cleaner, and the non scratch sponges to be very helpful for spills that get cooked onto the top.

Please keep us updated on Kathleen's walking progress and test results.

And let's all meet here

and have a few of these ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

UPDATE ON MY TEACHER!: My teacher came back to class today! We all couldn't believe it and we were thrilled to have him back!! He told us the whole story of his stroke in the beginning of his class. I was surprised by his openness and the amount of details he gave us. Apparently he felt sick while at work and his daughter forced him to go to the ER. Once there the docs found out his blood pressure was so high that if he had waited any longer he would have died for sure! We really did almost lose him forever. The high blood pressure was the result of a blood vessel in his brain tearing open and spilling blood into his sensory center. The tearing blood vessel was the result of other health issues including diabetes that he has had for years. The rest of the class preceded as mostly normal. My teacher's symptoms are for the large part invisible except for a slight jumpiness, tiredness and fumbling which appears to be the result of a loss of touch sensation in his limbs. His personality and everything else we love about him hasn't changed at all! You were so right Rose! We treated him like we always have and it made him very happy. After the other students left I stayed behind to ask him a question about a new assignment and he actually showed me a note from his doc saying his exact diagnosis. It basically said "thalamus stroke". Have any of you heard of this type of stroke??? What does it mean?? I was in so much shock and amazement I didn't remember to ask him LOL. Maybe that was for the better. I didn't ask him to share the diagnosis, he just did. I thanked him for sharing with me. He told me he wanted to because he trusted me and as a way to thank me for making him feel better. JUST WOW!!! I'M SO AMAZED BY THIS WHOLE EXPERIENCE!! I'm so amazed to have met him! WOW! WOW! WOW!

Rose, thank you for your detailed instructions. I do have a nurse connection and thank god so does he, as it helped him get help fast during the stroke itself. The Tofurky was lovely! It came with some yummy gravy. My friends and family were so thankful to have each other. I hope Jon's vitals improve! Love the pics of the thanksgiving food!

Mary Grace, thanks for the insight! The tiredness and jumpiness seem to apply to him but he's dealing with all of it way better than I ever thought possible. He just continued on with what he was doing. I think the jumpiness is the same kind of jumpiness I have from Cerebral Palsy more or less. His body fears another stroke and is trying to protect him. I hope Kathleen's issues are figured out. My teacher mentioned the term "bp" when describing the blood pressure issue so now I see why that is frightening. Praying it will all be sorted out!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 11-30-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

How happy I am that your teacher shared everything with the class today, so that you were all apprised of what he'd been through and able to adapt to any foibles during the class. It's also wonderful that he entrusts you with more information about his condition than he does the other students. He has a neurological condition, and now he can relate better to you, and you can relate better to him. Your are teaching each other.

Life is just one continuous learning experience, and what we glean from each experience is how we grow in our humanity.

Keep learning. Keep growing. Keep expanding. Keep loving. Keep searching for the truth in Life.

You can't go wrong on that path, my friend.

Healing prayers continuing ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

How happy I am that your teacher shared everything with the class today, so that you were all apprised of what he'd been through and able to adapt to any foibles during the class. It's also wonderful that he entrusts you with more information about his condition than he does the other students. He has a neurological condition, and now he can relate better to you, and you can relate better to him. Your are teaching each other.

Life is just one continuous learning experience, and what we glean from each experience is how we grow in our humanity.

Keep learning. Keep growing. Keep expanding. Keep loving. Keep searching for the truth in Life.

You can't go wrong on that path, my friend.

Healing prayers continuing ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Thanks Rose! He's still doing well but he appears to have had a rough day today. He had a bit of trouble with the window when he wanted to close it so another student had to do it. His finger strength wasn't good. He moved slower than yesterday. Then he had to keep sitting to rest. He was rather quiet and I kept hearing him make a sighing type of noise as if he was trying to use deep breathing to control his symptoms as I was taught to do with my CP. At the end he looked really uncomfortable and it was hard to watch him struggle. At the very end the symptoms seem to hit him hard. He looked up at the ceiling and I could tell by watching his eyes something was really bothering him. Then he closed his eyes as he tried to chit chat with me. Perhaps he had seen me checking on him out of the corner of my eye. Once the other students were out of earshot he said "I'm dizzy". I asked him if he wanted help but he said he just wanted to go back to his office and rest. I was worried but I just followed his lead so he wouldn't get more stressed. Perhaps he was embarrassed by the dizzy spell?? It seemed like he only wanted me to know. Is there a way to help him not feel embarrassed or scared? Let him know we won't judge him? I told him to do whatever he had to do to feel comfortable in my messages but it's hard for him to not have his body/brain back to "normal". Now I know his eye movements that I saw were his brain making the room spin. His dizzy spells appear to come and go just like how Kevin Sorbo described in his book. Sorbo said the dizziness was the most intense effect of his strokes and the seems to be true for my teacher unfortunately. I knew my teacher's symptoms would go deeper than what my classmates and I could see. Is there anything that could help with the dizziness???? He said I could send him links etc as he tries to figure it all out i.e extent of how this will effect his life. He is starting to realize to much activity drains him. He is so strong about this attitude wise, stronger than he knows! I'm learning so much!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-01-2015 at 04:03 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345