Rituxan (rituximab) shouldn't be counted out as an MS treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rituxan (rituximab) shouldn't be counted out as an MS treatment

Here's a link to an article that may be of interest from MedPage Today (October 12, 2015). It discusses several presentations at the recent ECTRIMS conference indicating that Rituxan has been very effective in treating MS and pointing out that while ocrelizumab is a very new MS drug, even though it may eventually turn out to be better than Rituxan, for some years now, Rituxan has been effective for many people.

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

I did not feel well on it (as an infused alternative to Rebif since Medicare copays were so high on Rebif). The infusions were very tolerable with few side effects but I lost ground in the 4 months I was off Rebif before going back on. Better now.

Comment

I had just the opposite reaction as Cherie.
      I went through Betaseron, Avonex and copaxone. Then I did IVIg for 8 years. Novantrone for three years. I have been on rituxan for several years now. It has a very obvious benefit for me. I am more energetic, stable, able to live a fuller life and physically stronger.

I loved the IVIg and the Novantrone but in one case it stopped working and the government limits the amount of Novantrone we can take.

I am never sick on the rituxan so I am luckier than Cherie. I am obviously weaker when it is time for my next infusion.

Thanks for the article Agate.
      Last edited by Lazarus; 10-15-2015, 02:43 PM.
      Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

You've been through the mill, Linda! What works for one person doesn't do a thing for another or even does harm.

Do they know what they're doing yet?
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
          You've been through the mill, Linda! What works for one person doesn't do a thing for another or even does harm.

Do they know what they're doing yet?
          Obviously not!!!
          Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

Hi
            I have been on Rituxan now for 2 years(4sets of infusions) and so far so good! No flares, just little querks here and there. I'll say the flares I had before Rituxan were mostly sensory and only 2 "bigger" ones. 3 steroid treatments and tried Imuran as my first treatment which still brought on the subsequent flares. So none on the Rituxan is great. The only thing in the last year I've failed a couple of visual field exams and heading to the Neuro opthamologist in november. Don't wear or need glasses but this test continues to have red flags.....
            I still have fatigue and concentration issues on Rituxan but I have not had a cold or flu since being on it. A few symptoms here and there like sniffles or a cough but nothing full blown(may have just jinxed myself��). I know it lowered your immune system and wouldn't get symptoms like a fever should you have an infection but this just seems odd to me. Anyone else notice this?

Have a good night!
            AM

Comment

Working...
            X