Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Information that may help some of you

Default Information that may help some of you

Hello, good day to everyone.

A friend of mine said that it might be helpful to some of you if I post the funds where I receive help and assistance. My husband and I have had a rough few years. I am on disability from MS and my husband lost his job four years ago. He started a completely new career after that and we have struggled monetarily building his business though it is looking up. I tell you this so you will understand that most of the funds available require lower income to offer you help. One of my biggest problems has been that my Advantage plan sucks!
    a
    Here are a couple of ways you might be able to get help:

Most people know about PAN - Patient Access Network. They reimburse my infusion costs for Tysabri. My infusion costs are $949.20 per month but I only pay $23.22 per month and PAN pays the rest. I'm sure you know that Biogen will supply the Tysabri. The same is true for most MS treatment drug manufacturers I think.
    https://www.panfoundation.org/

Many drug manufacturers will supply other prescription drugs for free too. Novartis is supplying my Tegretol which would cost me $224.00 every 3 months otherwise. This was arranged for me through SCBN.

SCBN (website www.scbn.org). This is a fantastic organization that has helped me tremendously. I am also diabetic and the diabetic insulins are extremely expensive. They have arranged for Levemir and Novolog for me at little cost. When you go to their website it will say that they donít cover people on Medicare but they do. They cover people with Medicare and private insurance. Fill out the paperwork and they will call you. Or you can call them at 1-866-722-6479. They work as a go-between with the drug manufacturers. They charge $50 per month for the first prescription and $15.00 for every prescription thereafter indefinitely. I save hundreds of dollars per month. https://www.scbn.org/

Last but not least is the Assistance Fund. They reimburse my Medicare premiums to me. 1-877-245-4412.
    https://theassistancefund.org/patien...lity-criteria/

Keep in mind that you have to often provide a lot of information to these funds in other to get help. Donít get discouraged. Good luck to you!

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Thank you, Joy. This will help many people.
    Getting premiums reimbursed will give some individuals money that they can use for an uncovered drug, if necessary.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Thanks for this post.

I copied it and sent it to a friend and then sent it to my whole support group.

Linda
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How thoughtful of you to post this, JTwin! And I'm so sorry that you and your husband have been having a rough time financially.

It's always good to find out about avenues for financial assistance, I think. MS is one costly disorder, to put it mildly.

"Don't get discouraged," you say. That's really good advice. It's so easy to give up, and making calls that get nowhere is very disheartening, but there are resources out there, usually.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

JTwin, I appreciate this information more than you know. While I feel that I am low income I do not believe that I fit most of the criteria for most of my drugs. I do fall into that category for Rebif and I have gotten a grant the past 2 years through PAN. They told me recently that they did not know if I could get another grant for 2016. Also, my Medicare Part D stopped carrying Rebif on their formulary.

This information is good for all of us to know. I stayed up this morning until a little after 4 AM trying to compare the Part D prescription programs offered in my area. I have again been on the internet all afternoon - since a little after one PM.

Thank you again for trying to help the rest of us with what you have already been through.

Hope things look up for your husband's business and hope you are doing well with your MS.
    Virginia

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

You're welcome, Virginia. My part D is extremely unhelpful too. Two little words : The Gap! I hit the gap in about March each year.

Many programs for co-pay relief will not include people on Medicare but some will and some are great advocates. I believe PAN has a limit of $5,000 per year. I've had to switch mid-year before because of this. You might try the Patient Advocate Foundation (PAF). They have helped me before in the past. 888-512-3881. http://www.patientadvocate.org/

And Chronic Disease Fund 877-968-7233 https://www.gooddaysfromcdf.org/

All have helped me.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Hi agate! My husband and I are fine as long as we have each other and our two dogs. Corny but oh so true.
    You are right, MS is a costly disorder.
    How are you?

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

*giving stillstANNding a big hug* gotcha! HAHAHA

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JTwin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi agate! My husband and I are fine as long as we have each other and our two dogs. Corny but oh so true.
    You are right, MS is a costly disorder.
    How are you?
    I'm doing OK. I have some Nuvigil pills that just might help with fatigability and I just might cut off a sliver of one of them and give it a try.

Shortly after moving, I had 3 falls but no falls in the last several years. I use a walker with wheels for walking around outside now. A couple of times a week I walk for about half an hour outside to rack up more steps on my pedometer.

Hearing is a bit worse but the aids help somewhat. That's more likely just age, I think, though the hearing loss showed up when I was about 40 and might have been MS-related too.

Thanks for asking. How is MS treating you? Having the constant worry about finances doesn't make coping with MS any easier!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Agate, do you know of someplace we could post this that would remain here? This is good information and I would hate to see it lost. If I try to print it out I am afraid I will misplace it. I have so much paper work with insurance, etc. Not saying it should be a sticky, but do we have some other permanent place that you are aware of?
    Virginia

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast