Thread: Kathleen

Distinguished Community Member

Default Kathleen

Kathleen's surgery went well. I can't say enough about Shriner's Hospital and what great personal care we got while there. We stayed together in the family room Monday night
    WP_20150922_001.jpg
    Surgery wasn't till noon but Kathleen had a great morning playing in their playroom untill it was time for surgery. They suited me up and we went into the OR together.
    WP_20150922_003.jpg
    Surgery tool a little over 4 hours. She came out of it looking really good right away.
    WP_20150922_008.jpg
    She had a private room and nurse I was able to sleep on a cot right next to her and Dad in the family room right down the hall. One of the nurses drew an Elmo on he cast before they put the color layer on.
    WP_20150923_002.jpg
    The next day she was sitting up in her new wheelchair having a yummy gluten free lunch.
    WP_20150923_008.jpg
    We came home Wednesday afternoon.WP_20150923_009.jpg
    Unfortunatly she had a lot of itching in her leg ( crying most of he night about it) so they called us back on Thursday morning. They got us right in with the dr. and he noticed her toes were cramped up. He cut the cast back a little and gave her more room. It helped right away.She smiled and said hey no more itching. We're trying to wean off of the oxycodone and go with just Tylenol over the weekend. It's challenging but she's adjusting.
    As you can see she has a long leg cast. The Dr. gave us a choice of short or long. He suggested the long because it would make it impossible for her to accidently put weight on it. It's actually worked out great I don't have to worry when I'm helping her up. She can stand on her right leg and I don't have to hold her left off the ground it's in a bent position so it stays off the ground. She sat in her wheelchair and we went outside for a walk today which was very nice. She's had some visitors which makes her very happy!!! I'll update some more tomorrow... Thank you for all the prayers!
    Mary Grace

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Mary Grace & Kathleen)))))) ~

Thank you for this wonderful update, Mary Grace! I'm just thrilled that Kathleen and you and your husband were well cared for at Shriner's, and that they immediately responded to her discomfort and remedied it quickly.

And, seeing Kathleen smile before and after surgery really touches my heart. What a courageous young woman she is, and the joy she exudes is absolutely beautiful. I love that Elmo too! Awww ... such sweetness from Kathleen's nurse.

I'm so glad that the doctor recommended the long cast and that is working out for you in your caregiving. And it's making it easier for Kathleen. And a walk outside today! It's all good!

I'm looking forward to your next update, and my prayers for healing and positive energy will continue.

Please deliver a great big ((((((HUG)))))) to Kathleen from me ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

She looks great for someone just out of surgery. Love the happy smile. Heal quickly Kathleen.
    grandmother of Tyler (22): Ohtahara Syndrome/SCN2a gene mutation, cortically visually impaired, quadriplegic, severely developmentally delayed, no speech, severe intractable seizures, frontal and temporal lobe atrophy, progressive scoliosis/kyphosis, chronic kidney stones & UTI's, gastroparesis, 100% tube fed, autonomic dysreflexia, but what a precious gift from God. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

Rose, Thank you for all the healing prayers... Kathleen is doing well. She seems to be pretty comfortable mostly with just Tylenol. She's doing workbooks and coloring a lot. Also music videos on her laptop. She's eating well and sleeping great (which is good because I'm sleeping with her). I can't say enough about the great care we received at Shriners. I'm pretty sure that if we had this done local and she had a problem they would send us to the ER and we would have spent the day sitting in a "sick" ER. I'm amazed at how well she's adjusted to having this large cast on her leg. She's even getting better at moving it a little bit on her own.
    Tamie, Thanks you, I too am amazed at how well she looked and continues to look so quickly.
    Mary Grace

P.S. I wanted to add our accomplishment for the day... Washing her hair in her wheelchair!
    Last edited by mg12061; 09-28-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

So glad Kathleen's surgery went well! Her cast looks huge! So glad she is able to manage it well! Sending prayers that there are no complications and her healing continues to go well!! Did you get a hair tray for the washing or did you just improvise? It makes such a huge difference in how you feel when you get cleaned up! Does she have to miss a lot of school or did they set up something for homeschool? When C had her hip fracture, they sent out a teacher that came to our house for an hour a few times a week. That was a nice break for me!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

Where there is a will, there is a way!

What an uplifting update on Kathleen's recovery. I'm just so happy for her and for you that she is adjusting well to her cast. And the care offered by Shriner's ~ what a tremendous blessing.

And, I'll bet that it felt really good to Kathleen to have her hair washed.

May all continue to go well!

Prayers continuing ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

I'm so happy to hear that the surgery went well and thank you so much for posting the photos! Glad you got great treatment at the Shriner's too. Hopefully everything will continue on the up and up. Thinking of you!
    Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Thank you everyone! Kathleen continues to do really well. Some discomfort once in a while but Tylenol works. She went back to school this week for just a few hours a day.Monday she insisted on staying longer and wasn't feeling so great when she got home. So I told her I would pick her up before lunch, she didn't like that but it was best for her. She wrote me a note in school on Wednesday that she was staying all day Friday for the Pep Rally and her leg would be fine. So I just brought her in for he Pep Rally later in the day. She loves the loud craziness of it. We also went to half of the Homecoming football game. I'm amazed at how well she's adjused to washing her hair in her chair and brushing her teeth in bed and the sponge baths. Lisa we've been doing her hair just sitting in her chair and laying her head back enough that the water goes into a bucket. It's working out really well. Coounting down now to a little over 3 weeks left!
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Such a wonderful update! I am so very happy that Kathleen is managing so well. Nothing was going to stop her from attending the Homecoming Rally and football game! Aww ... bless her!

It's just so great that her cast is working out for her. And I can't wait to see the improvement in her walking and her gait. I imagine that Kathleen will have PT after her cast is removed. Will she go to Shriner's for PT or will she have PT at school?

Healing prayers continue ~

Love & Light,

Rose