Thread: Accorda...makes Ampyra...helped me with copay

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default Accorda...makes Ampyra...helped me with copay

My copay for Ampyra was $25. Suddenly my insurance company raised it to $75 each month.
    I called Accorda and they checked things out and called to tell me that they would assist with the copay so that I only will pay $40 each month instead of the $75 my insurance company was charging. Good service. I am glad I made the call.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 09-17-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's really good to know! Sometimes all we have to do is ask. It's all too easy to assume no help is available. Old lawyers' saying: "Never assume anything."
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, "Never assume anything" is also an important dictum of medicine.

Linda, well done.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Linda, glad they are helping out.

Like that saying "never assume anything"
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My copay for Ampyra was $25. Suddenly my insurance company raised it to $75 each month.
    I called Accorda and they checked things out and called to tell me that they would assist with the copay so that I only will pay $40 each month instead of the $75 my insurance company was charging. Good service. I am glad I made the call.
    Linda,

Do you take ampyra every day, or just on special days when you need extra mobility and leg strength/energy?

10. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Linda,

Do you take ampyra every day, or just on special days when you need extra mobility and leg strength/energy?

Hi,
    I take it every day...every 12 hours. It is important to follow the schedule.
    I am glad you asked because a long time ago I mentioned this in a thread. People taking Ampyra are warned about followings the schedule...within an hour or so. If you miss a dose you wait until the next time you should take it. The warning is about the risk of seizures. Someone thought this was wrong information but the next day I read an ad for Ampyra and the ad said quite clearly that seizures were a risk. I expect it is a low one.

I did ask about taking it only once a day and the Acorda people I spoke with said that some people do only take it once a day. For me, when I forget a dose, my legs are noticeably dragging.

It is not a super drug that makes my walking great even after hours of farm work but it does make them better if I am rested and living a normal schedule. It also seems to give me more energy. Many people taking it have noted this as a welcome side effect.
    Linda
    Last edited by Lazarus; 09-20-2015 at 03:27 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for this information, Linda. I found this in the Prescribing Information for Ampyra (issued December 2014):

5 WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS5.1 SeizuresAMPYRA can cause seizures. Increased incidence of seizures has been observed at 20 mg twice daily in controlled clinical studies of 914 weeksduration with dalfampridine in patients with MS. In open label extension trials in MS patients, the incidence of seizures during treatment withdalfampridine 15 mg twice daily (1.7/100PY) was over 4 times higher than the incidence during treatment with 10 mg twice daily (0.4/100PY).In the post-marketing period seizures have been reported. The majority of seizures occurred at the recommended dose and in patients without ahistory of seizures, and generally within days to weeks of starting therapy.AMPYRA has not been evaluated in patients with a history of seizures or with evidence of epileptiform activity on an EEG, as these patientswere excluded from clinical trials. The risk of seizures in patients with epileptiform activity on an EEG is unknown, and could be substantiallyhigher than that observed in AMPYRA clinical studies. AMPYRA should be discontinued and not restarted in patients who experience a seizurewhile on treatment. AMPYRA is contraindicated in patients with a history of seizures ....
    https://ampyra.com/prescribing-information.pdf

Seizures are definitely not a side-effect anyone would want to put up with--and so being very careful to get the dosage exactly right would really matter.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Thanks very much Linda & Joan!

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"