Thread: Any idea's?

Angry Any idea's?

Hello, Im new to this site and blogging in general. My son is almost 17 and has had a shunt. He has had a VP shunt and now has a VA Shunt. On Sept 3rd while at work he had a 50# chicken coop hit him directly in the shunt. We took him in to his Neurosurgen they did the regular shunt series and found nothing. The CT tech she noticed that it may have been dented. He was in so much pain that he had not been to school all week. No fever or vomiting, but felt like throwing up. The doctor at Riley's Childrens Hospital seen him yesterday and tapped his shunt. He said that every thing seemed to be fine and come back in two weeks. He is not fine. He has always delt with his pain very well. They did take some of his fluids to ck for infection, and I hate to say I hope it is infected just so we can get an ansewer. Any ideas?

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((mamajulie)))))) ~

Welcome to BrainTalk and to Child Neurology (or CN or Child Neuro, as we often refer to our cyber home). We are so glad that you found us, and I hope we can help and support you and your son.

Since I don't have any experience with shunts, I'm not very useful in that area.

My first thought is that anyone, who is hit on the head with a 50 lb weight, could sustain a head injury, with or without a shunt. If damage to the shunt or malfunction have been ruled out, then is it possible that your son sustained an injury elsewhere on his head, which is the cause of his pain? Have the doctors ruled that out? Has a bleed been ruled out? A blood clot?

You know your son better than anyone else, including his physicians. So, if you feel that something is wrong, then trust your gut.

What did the neurosurgeon and the doctor at Riley's suggest to explain the cause of your son's pain, and what did they recommend to manage your son's pain?

Given that your son has experienced trauma to his brain, if you feel that he is not recovering properly, you might want to follow up with his neurosurgeon. Explain to the doctor what your son's symptoms are and that you feel that he needs attention. Be persistent.

It's awful to be in a position of hoping that he has an infection. I understand that well. You need an explanation, and you need that explanation to be clear cut and something easily treated (like with an antibiotic). Is your son exhibiting any symptoms of infection: fever, chills, aching, lethargy, etc.?

I hope that you will get the answers you need to help your son, and I'm sending up a prayer of healing for him.

Please keep us updated. We're here to support each other through every big and small event and share our stories. We would love for you to join us.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Rose,
    Thanks so much for responding. His Neurosurgeon says the shunt seems to be working fine. He tapped his shunt last Tuesday. I asked him then why is my son in so much pain and he said he didn't know. Not the answer I wanted to hear. They prescribed him Norco (not sure on the spelling). And a headache medicine to start taking daily. My son said the Norco helps and keeps the pain manageable.

In my son's 17yrs of having the shunt he has never experienced pressure headaches, has never ran a fever, and has had 9 surgeries. He has had infection in his stomach from the spinal fluid and never had one symptom. He would just tell me something isn't right. So now that he is in all this pain we know something is wrong. He would have a shunt revision say 3:30 in the afternoon and then be out of the hospital the next morning never even taking a Tylenol, saying he had no pain.

I called the nurse back yesterday and voiced my concerns and told her I love my neurosurgeon but he seems over worked and tired and that my son is not getting any better. She said the culture would be ready today for the infection but at this time nothing seemed to be growing on the culture.

I talked to my son's dad for about an hour on the phone and we were brain storming of our son's past surgeries and we came up with a bit of a plan. We told the nurse that we remember them admitting him and tapping his shunt 1st thing in the morning when his pressure was the worst. Also suggesting them doing some Nuclear Medicine on him. She agreed. Said that she was going to talk to the doctor and get back to me today. If nothing happens soon we have no choice but to move on to a new neurosurgeon.

Hopefully we get answers soon.

Thanks for caring
    Julie

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Welcome Julie!

My daughter has a VA-shunt also. Last revision was in 2011 but she had a rough few years prior to that. I know how it is when the doctors keep dismissing your concerns. Like Rose said though, go with your gut! I hope the doctors keep digging deeper until they figure out why your son is in pain. 50 lbs is a heavy weight to have fall on someone! Sending prayers that you have some answers...

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Julie)))))) ~

Good for you and your son's dad for brainstorming and coming up with appropriate courses of action for your son! We all wear many hats, and one of them is "Detective." I hope that your son's neurosurgeon will respond quickly to your requests, and that this leads to a resolution of your son's pain.

Have concussions and skull fractures been ruled out? As I said above, 50 lbs landing on anyone's head, shunt or no shunt, is a significant blow.

Prayers going up and please keep us posted, Julie!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I am not an expert but was doing research on brain damage and head injuries. It seems like a head injury to me considering the headache and vomiting urge whether or not the shunt is effected.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php