Thread: AcoA (Acom) Anterior Communicating Artery Aneurysm

Hybrid View

Community Member

Default AcoA (Acom) Anterior Communicating Artery Aneurysm

Hi,

One week ago, after an MRI and then an MRA, two small aneurysms were discovered on my Anterior Communicating Artery, one leaning anteriorly and the other posteriorly. The MRA states that all of the blood flow is running through the A2 segment of the Anterior Cerebral Artery, since I am missing the A1 segment of the Anterior Cerebral Artery and the A2 segment looks fenestrated as well.

In addition, the MRA could not rule out MS or other demylinating diseases, which was the initial reason we requested the MRI, after a complete vision loss in my left eye and since my sister has MS and Lupus.

So, I am in a little bit of shock right now and I am hoping that after the CT Angiogram I will have tomorrow, we will find out that this is all a dream and the other two tests are incorrect. We also hope that when we meet with the neurologist, he will do a spinal tap and rule out MS and all other demylinating diseases.

From what I have read, even small AcoA aneurysms are a high rupture risk, men have a higher rupture risk than women for AcoA aneurysms, AcoA aneurysms rupture at a younger age, and an anterior leaning dome and multiple AcoA aneurysms put me at greater risk as well.

It would be very helpful if:
    1.) Anyone can tell me what they think my rupture risk level is.
    2.) Anyone who has one or multiple AcoA aneurysm(s) can tell me their experience.
    3.) Anyone can tell me what treatment options are best for small AcoA aneurysms and if new, safer, less invasive treatments options exist for this already high risk area for surgery.
    4.) Anyone has an aneurysm and MS or another demylinating disease.
    5.) If there is a neurologist on this site who can give me their expert opinion.

Thanks so much and my positive thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with all of you!

Mike

Distinguished Community Member

Mike, alot of your questions are best answered by a neurosurgeon. I had two aneurysm. Both were done by the less invasive treatment of coiling. They go through the groin and up to the brain. The first aneurysm ruptured. The second one they watched for years until it got to the point of coiling it. For the unruptured one I was off of work for 1 week. I don't know where the AcoA is. My aneurysms one was a basliar and the other was a pica. good luck on your journey
    Take care,
    Dawn

3. The following user says "thanks"

Community Member

Hi Dawn...

Thanks so much for your response. Your experience helps...I hope mine can be coiled too. Sorry you had one rupture and I'm so glad you are doing well! While I am waiting for the neurologist and neurosurgeon visits, I was hoping a neurologist or neurosurgeon would be on this site...looks like I will have to wait and fingers and toes crossed I will get in soon. The Anterior Communicating Artery is very complex and more prone to rupture from what I have read, so I'm a little worried, but I will keep the faith and my positive attitude! Thanks again and all my best to you on your path too!

Community Member

Of course, I am still hoping that some people can share their experience with anterior communicating artery aneurysms before I meet with the neurosurgeon...Thanks so much and peace and love to all!