Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - Exercise - Agate?

Distinguished Community Member

Default OT - Exercise - Agate?

Yesterday my Neuro's nurse gave me a CD. It is "Yoga for MS". I think I remember Agate saying she did this and wondered if it is the same one. If so, are you still doing it?

When I did Yoga, I did a gentle Yoga that very much followed this. I have not been exercising since last October due to hurting my knee which has not healed. However, was thinking about trying as much of this as I can.

My CD shows someone demonstrating this on the floor and also someone in a chair. I like the floor version since that was what I was doing before. Just wondered Agate if this happens to be the one you did which version did you do? It is not as short as I thought it would be. I did not time it, but it seemed like almost an hour. If this is the one you did and still are doing it do you do it every day?
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Good question. Good topic.
    I use a site that may be called active MSers. If I have it wrong and you are interested I will be glad to look up its name. I have gotten good advice there.
    Good luck....
    Linda
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, I'm sorry to say I no longer have that DVD but I know the one you mean. I went looking for it online and can't find it anywhere. I'm fairly sure it was a freebie in connection with Shared Solutions (the Copaxone people), and most of the free goodies they were giving out were for a limited time.

I didn't stay with the yoga for long. Many of the exercises seemed to involve lying or sitting on the floor, and even with a mat that isn't something I could do.

I have heard that people with MS should check with the doctor before starting on yoga. It might be good advice if you're still getting over an injury because some of the positions are challenging.

See the "downward facing dog" shown here:

http://activemsers.org/exercisesstre...eviewyoga.html

The link is from the site Linda referred to.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I think it would be the same one because this one is put out by Teva. Somehow, I thought I remembered you liking it. I can do the downward facing dog, but I think it is because I learned it when I was doing Yoga many years ago and continued to do it for at least 10 or 12 years.

This yoga seems gentle. I was just expecting something about 30 minutes long since it is specifically for MS people, but turned out to be probably a good hour.

Linda, thanks for the offer. Right now I am going to stick with this one and see if I can do it all. Today I just mostly watched it through. If I find I want to do something else I will let you know and get the site then. I use to enjoy my gentle yoga very much, but then I was sent to a PT and she had me doing a lot of squats and other things. The squats definitely did more damage to my knee.

Thanks all!
    Virginia

Blog Entries

A yoga video from MS News Today (January 26, 2016)--Adaptive Yoga for MS. It's slow-paced and quiet though some of the positions may not be possible for some of us.

http://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.co...the-hips-legs/

7. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yesterday my Neuro's nurse gave me a CD. It is "Yoga for MS". I think I remember Agate saying she did this and wondered if it is the same one. If so, are you still doing it?

When I did Yoga, I did a gentle Yoga that very much followed this. I have not been exercising since last October due to hurting my knee which has not healed. However, was thinking about trying as much of this as I can.

My CD shows someone demonstrating this on the floor and also someone in a chair. I like the floor version since that was what I was doing before. Just wondered Agate if this happens to be the one you did which version did you do? It is not as short as I thought it would be. I did not time it, but it seemed like almost an hour. If this is the one you did and still are doing it do you do it every day?

That sounds very interesting. i should see if my neuro has something like this when i see him in a few weeks.

Let us know how you like it.

Peace
    The early bird catches the worms~~~~~that means, I wake up early and have worms. lol

That's my son's words of wisdom to me! ! lol

9. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I used to have a yoga n MS tape, but I could no longer get off floor,
    so gave it to DD n she used it n liked it. She has lite MS.
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 01-30-2016 at 06:50 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

11. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SalpalSally View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to have a yoga n MS tape, but I could no longer get off floor,
    so gave it to DD n she used it n liked it. She has lite MS.

The positions in this video are mainly done seated in a chair. I'm going to skip the ones that are on the floor.
    Last edited by agate; 01-30-2016 at 08:11 AM.

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Tai-chi is another low impact exercise.

I used to watch a show years ago called Sunrise Earth. He would just setup his camera in any location around the planet, and film as the sun first came up.

One time it was in China, and huge groups would be doing Tai-chi together, all ages, men and women, and it was quite fascinating to watch. No one ever said a word, everyone knew the exercise routine by heart.
    Roswell was a gift.

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I've watched tai chi and done a little of it as well. I've heard that it can be helpful with balance problems. It's fun to watch--and fun to do too.

17. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast