Thread: Off-Topic = VoIP phone service

Distinguished Community Member

Default Off-Topic = VoIP phone service

If you have a VoIP line and are pestered with annoying “sales” calls, telemarketers, robo calls (some sound almost human and have an “intelligence” to respond to key words, but the “software” is lost when I ask where the NY Jets play), hawkers, spammers, etc. there is an option. Nope does not work on wireless or analog landlines.

See:

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/guy-fou...anies-wouldnt/
    and
    https://www.twilio.com/blog/2015/01/...th-twilio.html
    and
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/screen-un...time-blocking/

And if interested in activating, then visit: https://www.nomorobo.com/

Yes, have used it for about four weeks and “silence is golden”, we’ll almost! An incoming call appears on my TV’s VoIP display and rings once and then its routed to never-never land.

Have never missed a "real" call.

Cool

Update from Ted, re: Nomorobo.

We are delighted!!!

Calls = virtually nil.

Our phone rings once; Nomorobo checks the inbound call and then disconnects the call for us.

Today, we received a call from an 800-xxx-xxxx number.

When I researched the full number via the Internet, the report indicated the number is a source of spam calls.

Nope, have not missed any "real" calls.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Ted-T; 07-24-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: I can't type, hehehe

Community Member

My calls have gone down on the landline, but not totally eliminated. The Service Provider forced everybody to go to VOIP. They had told me I would keep a hard line which I wanted (in case of power outage). With the political season starting I expect an increase in calls. Thanks for the links!

--Travis

Cool

I wanted to keep a copper landline, primarily because we have had power outages and even a total loss of all landline services several years ago due to a storm. A that time, we even lost 911 and cell services. (Nope, it was not Sandy).

As we live in NJ across the river from NYC (in a high rise apartment building), I went outdoors onto my terrace and made cell calls via NYC cell towers.

Our three children and spouses do not employ any landline or VoIP services, relying at all times on their cell phones.

By "buying" a package, my overall costs for Internet + VoIP + TV have declined.

And, the provider did not deliver a “battery” for my Internet router / VoIP station. So I purchased a battery. Dunno if I’ve ever needed it.

All the landline carriers are trying to divest themselves of copper landline services as the expense of maintain copper increases.

Several years ago, AT&T announced it wanted to have a service of ONE. In AT&T’s description, once a call entered its network it would be conveyed via a VoIP facility (routed). IN essence except for the edge, all would be packetized.

Verizon has also announced that in NJ it wishes to shutter copper services.

= = = = =
    Good luck!