Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help. Severe dehydration at farmers market. Which commercial sport drinks would help

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default Help. Severe dehydration at farmers market. Which commercial sport drinks would help

I know everything you will tell me about dehydration. Please trust me on that.

I want help if the symptoms come on suddenly. At that point drinking lots of water will not help.

Think of an athlete. Gatorade is the only drink I know the name of.....I need something that I can drink immediately. Side benefit is that it may stop the urination that goes if you just drink water. Maybe the salts.?

Again yesterday I got suddenly very sick. Dehydration is very serious. I need a sports drink for on the spot help.
    Any experience anyone?
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

I need a sports drink for on the spot help.
    Any experience anyone?
    I haven't tried any, but I Googled "best electrolyte drink", this is a website that came up:

http://paleoedge.com/best-and-worst-electrolyte-drinks/

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I am reading. Surprised me to find pills recommended rather than drink. So, reading now to see if I can take pills early in market....
    Yesterday I had help twice at the end....

I was great all the way through and suddenly very unwell. I actually asked strangers to help me in the last five minutes. They were relatives of an MSer I knew and responded quickly with no questions for me to answer. After 15 hours of sleep I was well enough to take a shower. Best one I ever had.

I posted this same question on the Active MSer site. I will share any new info.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am reading. Surprised me to find pills recommended rather than drink. So, reading now to see if I can take pills early in market....
    Yesterday I had help twice at the end.....
    I must have misread that (perhaps skimmed too quickly). I thought the pills were tablets placed in water to dissolve. ???

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Years ago my ex and I were playing a tennis tournament in July and he started getting cramps. He had to lay in the back seat as his whole body was cramping. I drove to the drug store and the pharmacist gave me some salt tablets and told me to have him take two with water right away. Then if the cramping did not stop in five minutes to take two more.

I do not recall how many he took but I know at least 4. The next day he was sore from all the cramps he had had. I was weak from the heat but that was prior to diagnosis with MS. We quit playing tournaments after that. Jeanie :)

9. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This must have been scary for you. People with MS don't always sweat the way other people do. Our temperature regulation mechanisms are out of whack.

The Mayo Clinic Website mentions Powerade and Gatorade. I've also seen Pedialyte recommended.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20030056

Building up fluids for about 24 hours before you know you might be in a situation where you'll have a problem is advice I've often heard too.

Not too much fluid though.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

11. The following 7 users say "thanks"

If you are getting dehydrated there is a fine line between increasing your fluid intake and needing an IV. I am one of the ones that it takes nothing for me to go into ARF meaning within a few hours of being sick to my stomach I go into Acute Renal Failure. At that point I am so sick that I dont realize it. The last time I can remember (sort of) the lights in the ER being SO bright you couldnt see much else and it sounded as if I was next to a giant threshing machine and anyone talking was almost covered up by the loud noise. Some scary stuff.

I hate the taste of sports drinks. To me it tastes like sweat. Yeah I know GROSS! In my case it has to do with brain stem involvement.

I am interested in the pills. If nothing else to prevent further problems. So far the only thing that works is a IV

13. The following 7 users say "thanks"

We used to call this, "a Betty Crocker Mix- just add salt and water." It's very serious, though.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Linda, obviously be careful when out like that, but I am very proud of you for asking for help when you knew you needed it. Even if the people had not known anyone with MS you would need to find someone to help you quick.
    Virginia

17. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Hi Linda,
    So sorry you got that sick. We clearly swere not drinking enough water. I know I should but it's such a long walk and steep stairs to get to a bathroom. I drank some, although not enough, but you were doing all the physical work and it was hot.
    I sort of remember someone telling me about something last year but I can't remember what it was. I think it was somethings runners take.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

19. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast