Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Independence Day: July CN Check In

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Lisa ~

Love Caitlin's hairstyle! It's darling and suits her perfectly and will be much easier to care for after her surgery. Have you thought about using "No Rinse" Shampoo? They should have it in the hospital, so see if you can acquire a few bottles to take home! (I always butter up the nurse, and then we get supplies to take with us upon discharge. ) Otherwise, you can find No Rinse shampoos on the internet. Not expensive, and they will suffice until you can wash Caitlin's hair with regular shampoo and rinse with water.

Maybe try the No Rinse shampoo daily, and wash with regular shampoo and rinse with water once a week? Just make it easy on yourself, because you'll have lots of other things keeping you occupied and demanding your attention during Caitlin's recovery.

Those x-rays certainly provide compelling evidence to go forward with Caitlin's surgery. I've already begun prayers, and they will certainly continue throughout these next weeks and months. I can imagine how stressed you are. I'm the opposite of you: I don't eat when I'm stressed, and even when I eat, I still lose weight. When Jon has been in the hospital for weeks on end, the nurses start coming up to me, hugging me, stepping back, and telling me to consume some Ensure! I hope that the Subway opens up in time for Caitlin's surgery so that you have a healthy option for your meals. Try to avoid sodas, even diet sodas, and drink water throughout the day, while you're in the hospital. Maybe take some healthy energy bars in your purse to munch on.

All of your hard work is certainly paying off, because your backyard looks terrific! You have so much energy! But then, I think people used to say that to me, when I was your age. And, I actually did. At least compared to now.

So glad that Tyler's palate expander has worked out well for you and for him. It's always wonderful to have something go right, isn't it?

Take really good care of yourself, and make sure you schedule some "Lisa Time," because you need it and deserve it. You are important! Here's your smoothie ~ More where that came from, whenever you need one!

funnylegs4 ~

I've read your other postings about your films screening in New Mexico. Congratulations! Very exciting! Will you be videoing the Q & A session(s)? I'd be interested to watch and learn what viewers have to say.

I'm so sorry that you lost your cousin to cancer. It is scary, and we are grateful. We hope Jim's medical journey will continue to be smooth.

I'm looking forward to your posts about your screening. Meanwhile, here's your smoothie Kick back for a couple of minutes and enjoy the tropical breezes.

Donna ~

The Lady of the Lake! Sounds like you are enjoying a lovely summer, which makes me smile!

Congratulations to Natalie! Sending positive energy her way that she finds the perfect job. And Nick has a new friend at his residence! That's so great! Just what both of them need ~ each other. More confirmation that Nick's transition to the Rotary House was meant to be and right for him. I do pray that he is relieved of his pain. What a price to pay for joy. Bless him.

Do you have any photos of the lakeside lobster fest?

Here's your smoothie ~ and we'll enjoy it, while we lounge around the Lake ~

About Us ~

Cath and trache change went well. But Tueday, Jon began bleeding through his cath. We irrigated him twice, but it kept going for 24 hours, then suddenly stopped. Quite a relief, because we're always prepared to do intense irrigation, should the bleeding not stop.

Jon had insomnia for 4 days, so we were on seizure watch. Nerve wracking. He is now back to his normal sleep patterns. Why does this happen? Hypothyroid? Seizure Meds? Any number of possibilities. We just deal with it and get through it.

We had to cancel the Toenail Gals' visit on Tuesday, as Jon was sleeping, and we didn't want to wake him. He doesn't really need his nails trimmed, so it's not a problem. Apparently, toenails grow more slowly for a person, who is immobile.

On our anniversary, Thursday, our friend came over to move the generator for us to prepare for the Friday outage. I was so grateful to him, as I realized, while watching him do all that it involved, that Jim would have been really messed up trying to do it by himself. Our friend stopped by on his way home from work tonight (he only lives a mile away from us) to move the generator back to its spot against the fence, and out of the way. He stopped in Jon's room and chatted for awhile, which cheered Jon.

The outage began promptly at 8:10, and we were ready. Jon didn't even wake up, while Jim was hooking up the cable to Jon's equipment. Generator ran until the power returned at 3:10, 7 hours. Still had a bit of gas left in it too.

And then on Saturday and Sunday, IT RAINED! I scurried out to our barren backyard, twirling in the rain, so grateful for any showers from above. Not much. Certainly not enough. But some. We have a Mexican typhoon or hurricane to thank for those showers. And now we're left with 75% humidity. I am a walking fountain of dripping sweat.

We try to avoid the air conditioning, because it isn't good for our arthritis and osteoporosis. Plus, we get stuffy noses and dry throats. But we've been caving in every afternoon, turning it on, just for a respite from the stickiness and the heaviness of the air. We are not used to humidity, so that makes it a bit more challenging to tolerate it. You know ~ a 4 year drought means very little humidity ...

We have to be conscious of keeping ourselves hydrated. Leg cramps have awakened me a few nights in a row. Not that I actually sleep. Last night I got about 3 1/2 hours, as I let Jim sleep late, since he's been in tremendous pain the past week. He thinks it is a pinched nerve in his neck on the right side.

Add to that hassles with new feeding pumps, which won't prime after an hour of trying, and a Pharmacy rep, who becomes curt and accusatory toward me. The IHSS stuff. And a few other external things ... and we've been pretty stressed here.

So no anniversary celebrations. I'm hoping that we can change that in the near future. But we're just taking each day as it dawns and trying to get through it without a crisis or "one more thing to deal with, that we didn't need."

Thank you all so much for hanging in here and for your years of sharing and love and support. We are the CN family. I'm so proud to be a member.

Smoothies for all ...

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Lisa ~

Love Caitlin's hairstyle! It's darling and suits her perfectly and will be much easier to care for after her surgery. Have you thought about using "No Rinse" Shampoo? They should have it in the hospital, so see if you can acquire a few bottles to take home! (I always butter up the nurse, and then we get supplies to take with us upon discharge. ) Otherwise, you can find No Rinse shampoos on the internet. Not expensive, and they will suffice until you can wash Caitlin's hair with regular shampoo and rinse with water.

Maybe try the No Rinse shampoo daily, and wash with regular shampoo and rinse with water once a week? Just make it easy on yourself, because you'll have lots of other things keeping you occupied and demanding your attention during Caitlin's recovery.

Those x-rays certainly provide compelling evidence to go forward with Caitlin's surgery. I've already begun prayers, and they will certainly continue throughout these next weeks and months. I can imagine how stressed you are. I'm the opposite of you: I don't eat when I'm stressed, and even when I eat, I still lose weight. When Jon has been in the hospital for weeks on end, the nurses start coming up to me, hugging me, stepping back, and telling me to consume some Ensure! I hope that the Subway opens up in time for Caitlin's surgery so that you have a healthy option for your meals. Try to avoid sodas, even diet sodas, and drink water throughout the day, while you're in the hospital. Maybe take some healthy energy bars in your purse to munch on.

All of your hard work is certainly paying off, because your backyard looks terrific! You have so much energy! But then, I think people used to say that to me, when I was your age. And, I actually did. At least compared to now.

So glad that Tyler's palate expander has worked out well for you and for him. It's always wonderful to have something go right, isn't it?

Take really good care of yourself, and make sure you schedule some "Lisa Time," because you need it and deserve it. You are important! Here's your smoothie ~ More where that came from, whenever you need one!

funnylegs4 ~

I've read your other postings about your films screening in New Mexico. Congratulations! Very exciting! Will you be videoing the Q & A session(s)? I'd be interested to watch and learn what viewers have to say.

I'm so sorry that you lost your cousin to cancer. It is scary, and we are grateful. We hope Jim's medical journey will continue to be smooth.

I'm looking forward to your posts about your screening. Meanwhile, here's your smoothie Kick back for a couple of minutes and enjoy the tropical breezes.

Donna ~

The Lady of the Lake! Sounds like you are enjoying a lovely summer, which makes me smile!

Congratulations to Natalie! Sending positive energy her way that she finds the perfect job. And Nick has a new friend at his residence! That's so great! Just what both of them need ~ each other. More confirmation that Nick's transition to the Rotary House was meant to be and right for him. I do pray that he is relieved of his pain. What a price to pay for joy. Bless him.

Do you have any photos of the lakeside lobster fest?

Here's your smoothie ~ and we'll enjoy it, while we lounge around the Lake ~

About Us ~

Cath and trache change went well. But Tueday, Jon began bleeding through his cath. We irrigated him twice, but it kept going for 24 hours, then suddenly stopped. Quite a relief, because we're always prepared to do intense irrigation, should the bleeding not stop.

Jon had insomnia for 4 days, so we were on seizure watch. Nerve wracking. He is now back to his normal sleep patterns. Why does this happen? Hypothyroid? Seizure Meds? Any number of possibilities. We just deal with it and get through it.

We had to cancel the Toenail Gals' visit on Tuesday, as Jon was sleeping, and we didn't want to wake him. He doesn't really need his nails trimmed, so it's not a problem. Apparently, toenails grow more slowly for a person, who is immobile.

On our anniversary, Thursday, our friend came over to move the generator for us to prepare for the Friday outage. I was so grateful to him, as I realized, while watching him do all that it involved, that Jim would have been really messed up trying to do it by himself. Our friend stopped by on his way home from work tonight (he only lives a mile away from us) to move the generator back to its spot against the fence, and out of the way. He stopped in Jon's room and chatted for awhile, which cheered Jon.

The outage began promptly at 8:10, and we were ready. Jon didn't even wake up, while Jim was hooking up the cable to Jon's equipment. Generator ran until the power returned at 3:10, 7 hours. Still had a bit of gas left in it too.

And then on Saturday and Sunday, IT RAINED! I scurried out to our barren backyard, twirling in the rain, so grateful for any showers from above. Not much. Certainly not enough. But some. We have a Mexican typhoon or hurricane to thank for those showers. And now we're left with 75% humidity. I am a walking fountain of dripping sweat.

We try to avoid the air conditioning, because it isn't good for our arthritis and osteoporosis. Plus, we get stuffy noses and dry throats. But we've been caving in every afternoon, turning it on, just for a respite from the stickiness and the heaviness of the air. We are not used to humidity, so that makes it a bit more challenging to tolerate it. You know ~ a 4 year drought means very little humidity ...

We have to be conscious of keeping ourselves hydrated. Leg cramps have awakened me a few nights in a row. Not that I actually sleep. Last night I got about 3 1/2 hours, as I let Jim sleep late, since he's been in tremendous pain the past week. He thinks it is a pinched nerve in his neck on the right side.

Add to that hassles with new feeding pumps, which won't prime after an hour of trying, and a Pharmacy rep, who becomes curt and accusatory toward me. The IHSS stuff. And a few other external things ... and we've been pretty stressed here.

So no anniversary celebrations. I'm hoping that we can change that in the near future. But we're just taking each day as it dawns and trying to get through it without a crisis or "one more thing to deal with, that we didn't need."

Thank you all so much for hanging in here and for your years of sharing and love and support. We are the CN family. I'm so proud to be a member.

Smoothies for all ...

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose! Thank you SO much! I'd love to video tape/record the Q&A somehow but it is via Skype on my end. Got any ideas for how to record through Skype? LOL. I could probably audio record it or something. I'll also do a written post on my blog and website about the screening after it happens. Interestingly just this week I got some fascinating feedback on my work from a girl who was born in Syria. She said she had never seen anybody with quote on quote "mild" CP before seeing my films and said she didn't even realize I had Cerebral Palsy myself. She thought I had a different disability but I'm not sure which one she thought I had. Her only view of people with CP was the movie "My Left Foot" and thought all people with CP were like Christy Brown. We agreed that my work helped her understand Cerebral Palsy much better. Thank you for the condolences. They managed her pain well and her passing was peaceful but I miss her. Thanks for the smoothie! I'm glad the generator was a success. The lack of toenail growth based on mobility is interesting.

Lisa, to further what Rose said, my mother gets dry/no rinse shampoo from regular cosmetic type stores. You don't need to get it from a hospital necessarily. Caitlin looks utterly stunning with that hair!! She looks like such a little lady. Believe it or not I thought she looked like Demi Moore as Molly in the movie "Ghost" with her hair like that LOL yes that pretty. You'll have claw guys off her LOL.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 07-23-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Lisa Great picture I love her hair! I'm asuming maybe surgery is done by now? Hope everything went well. Looking forward to a good update.
    Rose, what a busy time. Glad things are going good though. I hope you get to celebrate! One day at a time is all you can do. I must say that's a lot of smoothies!
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Not too long ago, you were explaining to me how to use a DVD drive on my computer. What are the odds that I know how to record a Skype transmission? The odds are Zilch. I don't even know how to use Skype! Have never used it, although my friends are bugging me about doing it.

What about a podcast? Any podcasters in New Mexico who might be interested in transmitting or podcasting your Q & A? (For the record, I have no idea how that works, either.)

Interesting conversation you had with the gal from Syria. I would imagine there is a great deal of misconception about almost all disabling conditions world wide. I'm sure that paraolympic events and sporting events with disabled athletes are happening on a regular basis, but we don't hear about them or see them on our TVs. Mainstream media, including the internet, doesn't really promote these things. We don't have enough visibility in the disabled community.

Looking forward to your report after the screening!

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

On Thrs., Jim went to our favorite local restaurant and brought home delicious, fresh veggie meals, which have lasted until today! No cooking for me, and that has been a real treat! We were a week late, but we had an anniversary lunch.

We have a seriously leaking faucet in Jon's bathroom, and Jim can't loosen the valves to turn off the water. We'll likely be calling a plumber on Monday. While he's here, we'll ask him about replacing the toilet, and then take him to our upstairs bath (the disaster) and get an estimate on remodeling with an accessible shower. Not the walk in tub. I've been reading about those, and the reviews are not favorable.

We have to get a new garage door, and I have to contact the City to find out whether we're permitted to power wash our driveway. Our Association has issued us violations on both counts. We do need a new garage door and have for years. We haven't power washed our driveway for years, because of the drought. Lots of other driveways up here are in the same condition. Ours may be worse, since we have a large van, and it sits for a week or more without being moved. No oil, just an orange stain. We bought a power washer and Simple Green concrete soap. We just need to get permission to do it. It takes a gallon of water per minute to use this washer. That's a lot of water.

It's too hot and humid to take on the termites. Once the orange oil is applied in our attics (we have two), we have to turn on our heater to 90 degrees for several hours to activate the oil. That project is on hold. Meanwhile, the termites are probably gnawing their way through our home. Aaagggghhhh!

Jim still has tests, and I need to go to the dentist.

Lots of smoothies, so we have plenty of 'em when we need 'em! It will keep the Cabana Boys busy. Plus, we always have extra smoothies for any of our old friends, should they decide to drop by. I live in hope!

And plenty of

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hello!

Sorry to hear that you have been so stressed Rose...(((hugs))) I hope that the humidity is better now for you. I can't imagine having so much go wrong and then to be hot on top of all that....I would turn into a witch! LOL! We have the A/C set at 71 here. It has been humid and hot (like high 80's, low 90s). That is not the "average" for here for this time of year. 71 sounds super low, but our thermostat is back by the bedrooms so to keep the kitchen/living room at 75, it has to be that low. Anything over 76 degrees is when I become super witch.

I have been taking some time for me while waiting for the surgery day to come along. Last week I started getting up at 5am to prepare for the hospital stay (they always come around so darn early!). Instead of just wasting that time, I started going to the 5:30am classes at the gym. It feels good to go back since I had skipped since the end of May when it got so busy with end of school things. We also took a trip to Mt Olympus in Wisconsin Dells. It is a huge waterpark/theme park. Caitlin had an overnight stay at Brian's parents' house while we did that. They have a pool so she didn't miss out on swimming and they spoil her and make it special to be there at their house. This was the first time we took Logan along with us. He is finally tall enough to get on the rides. It was fun to see the park through his eyes! There is so much to do in Wisconsin Dells and we've only really done that waterpark so I would like to try some other things there next year. But we did have fun! Seeing all that water just bubbling up everywhere made me think of y'all in California though. Do they have big waterparks there? Do they have to restrict with the drought?

I feel totally prepared for the surgery and whatever the recovery is like. I have paid all the bills and got my checkbook up to date so I don't have to worry about any of that until the end of August. I also went and bought all the school supplies for the kids so that worry is off my plate. I am going grocery shopping the day before the surgery so Brian & the boys will have stuff to cook and I plan to buy snacks and some things for me to bring along since I know at first I won't want to leave her room too much. She will be staying in the PICU likely for a few days they said.

Well, time to sleep so I can be up at 5am! :)

Lisa O.
    Last edited by andromeda31; 07-28-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

((((((Lisa & Caitlin)))))) ~

Only 3 more days, I am just realizing now, how quickly that date seems to have arrived.

Good for you, Lisa, for getting up early and working out. That's such a great plan! And you have all of your ducks in a row, which is fantastic. You're organized, and you're ready. I'm in awe of you!

What a great summer memory for all of you ~ you and the boys at the water park, and Brian and Caitlin at his parents' home in the pool.

I live in the Land of Amusement, so we have all kinds of water gulping parks around here. We probably couldn't imagine the amount of water that Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm utilize. Or Universal Studios. Or Sea World. And I'm sure that we have water parks, and they're all in full swing during tourist season.

Meanwhile, our backyard, the one shown in my avatar, which was once green and lush, is now dirt, with weeds, crabgrass, Mexican palm tree sprouts, and other unwanted volunteer tree sprouts. We get to water on Tues and Sat. For 15 mins. Front and back.

Apparently, Tom Selleck has been accused of stealing water from a nearby municipality to irrigate his avocado groves. It's crazy.

Nothing will come of that. But if we try to power wash the stain on our driveway without permission, we'll be fined.

We are constantly being told in TV commercials to set our thermostats at 78 degrees. That's where ours is and stays. And we don't turn it on until late afternoon, when the house temp is 82. We are subject to rotating outages, so we do our best to comply with the guidelines, as we don't want to lose our power.

We are supposed to "give your appliances the afternoon off" and not turn on any of them until after 6 p.m. I do laundry in the morning before noon. We start our a/c about 5 p.m.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning, with our bedroom window open for the fresh air, and it was about 68 degrees. I heard our neighbor's a/c kick on. This is why we have power outages. Because too many people don't comply with conservation.

My prayers are continuing for Caitlin and for you and Brian and your boys, and I'll be stepping them up on Friday. I'll be thinking of you.

Will you have your laptop or some means of updating us? If so, please start a new thread, so that we don't miss it.

All will go well and smoothly, and Caitlin will be so much more comfortable.

Sending lots of love and thoughts and prayers to you all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Hi!

Yes, it actually feels weird to have so much time to prepare for this surgery. Most often, Caitlin's surgeries were emergencies. I will have my laptop along so I will be able to update. Hard to remember the days when I had to go down the hallway at the hospital to use the communal computer in the family room to access the internet! I am so glad for free wifi!! :) My cross stitch project I ordered arrived today so I am all set for things to keep me busy. I have a stack of books & movies from the library, the cross stitch project, and a sewing project. The sewing thing....I bought 2 cheap tank tops at Walmart and some pretty ribbon and cute buttons and I am going to cut the straps of the tank tops and sew (by hand) the ribbons/buttons on to make them into tie-able straps so I can put them on her while she is in the hospital recovering. That way they will go around her IV tubes. Something cuter than the hospital gowns! I will take pictures of course! :) Today, I picked up some movies at the library for Caitlin too....I found Iron Man, Thor & Thor 2. She likes the Marvel universe! LOL! I also have a pile of Pokémon dvd's for her also. Can you tell she is a girl with lots of brothers?! Of course the Kindle will come along for her to play with also. I plan to load some money into her amazon account so she can pick out some new games after the surgery.

Our grass is brown and crispy now too. The good thing is then we don't have to mow it! I am not really into my lawn too much, but I worry about my trees. But they get all the bathwater I can carry to them so they look ok! Weird to think about someone (Tom Selleck) stealing water....scary though to think how it will be in the future....wars over water?! Now I am thirsty talking about water so much...

My next post will be from the hospital...wish us luck! :)

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

((((((Lisa & Caitlin)))))) ~

I love your idea for those cute tops for Caitlin! She will look so pretty and fashionable in PICU! Looking forward to the photos.

Will you watch the movies on your laptop? We don't have a laptop, so we take a portable DVD player to the hospital, so Jon can watch his favorite movies and concerts.

Books, sewing, wow ... I never have time to do anything when Jon's in ICU. Every 15 minutes, someone is coming in to do something. Or talk to me. Of course, Jon's always been deathly ill, which is entirely different than Caitlin's planned surgery. And, yes, I can imagine how different this trip is for you all, since it isn't an emergency.

About our yard ... we loved the lush green grass, and it wasn't cheap to have the sod placed. We don't just have brown spots now. We have dirt. No grass at all. Our only solution is to concrete our yard, because even artificial grass allows the volunteer Mexican palms and weeds to sprout up. Concrete is a permanent solution.

I'm still waiting for the plumber to contact us. Meanwhile, I'm collecting the water from the dripping faucet into one of Jon's bath basins, and using it to water our plants in the back yard. Sometimes, I just throw it on the dirt, because at least it's going back into the Earth.

Caitlin is at the top of my prayer list, and I'll continue sending you all positive, healing, strengthening energy. And, while you are sitting, anxiously waiting for Caitlin to return from surgery, just imagine me sitting next to you, holding your hand. Because in my heart, and in my spirit, that is exactly where I will be.

Blessings ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Thank you! Just finishing up my packing now and had to take a quick break!

Yes, my laptop plays dvds...we have a tiny portable dvd player but it is really hard to see the screen and my laptop has a 17" screen so I just use that. I am trying to hook the portable thing up to an old tv in the basement for the treadmill but I have to find a cord that works since I accidentally threw out the cord that came with it.

I am pretty lucky that Caitlin sleeps so well. Even when she was super ill, she still would be sleeping by 8pm so I could do something for myself while in the hospital. I usually would go down to the café around 9pm and sit, eat, and read a book for an hour at the table to just be outside of the room for a change of view.

That sucks about your lawn. I don't know what a Mexican palm looks like...I'll have to look it up when I am waiting tomorrow. We have clover...lots of it. :( It also attracts lots of bees. I guess we are doing our part to help the bees! They also say that long ago, clover was desirable in a lawn. Can't remember where I read that though!

Time to turn off the computer and get a little sleep...the anxiety is keeping me awake....

Lisa O.

Lisa, Praying for a safe successful surgery and uncomplicated recovery. Ill be watching for updates. I remember those days of having to use a computer down the hall. It's great to be able to use the computer without leaving the room. I hated leaving Kathleen's room when she was hospitalized.
    Mary Grace

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast