Page 1 of 32 1234561131 ... LastLast

Thread: OT July Chit Chat,

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

Default OT July Chit Chat,

Hello out there,,did June go fast or slow for you,,it went fast for me,,of course everything is faster then me lol.

Garden is going gangbusters out there, it really is giving us some good produce,,tomatoes, soon,,
    Hay is baled second cutting will be a couple more weeks,,, corn is tall, so far everything looks good,,

not much else,, neuro visit the 9th of July,, so we see how that goes,,I feel good,, no major things going on,,

later then,,

Cherie hang in there,,
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

If anyone is in need of hot weather please PM me and I will send you some. We are well on our way to breaking the record for the longest string of 100 deg+ days. Not something fun. The positive thing is the humidity rarely gets over 35%.

I am slowly recovering from the roids. I can get at least 2 or 3 hours of sleep at night, plus all the cat naps during the day!

My scaled down garden is doing nicely the tomatoes love the hot weather. And cukes and squash as well. I planted some rhubarb as Rhubarb pie and homemade vanilla ice cream are just something you need in the summer. We have not taken the motorhome out as the entire Pacific northwest is hot. May as well stay at home and run the a/c as sit inside the MH and run the a/c.

Speaking of a/c I am subscribing to a service that will send a new set of furnace filters to you in the mail every month. It IS a waste of money, I know as We have a Home Depot in town but for some reason I can never remember to get them. I even remembered to get water softener salt but the filters always get missed. Besides the health aspect dirty filters are the #1 reason for ice ups and failures. If you are making ice anywhere on your a/c unit something is wrong. The power company is set up so that you can look at your real time power bill. I have been afraid to look at it. With the IVSM and the hot temps I am pretty sure it has run darn near continuously. Thankfully we spent the extra $$ on an energy star home, extra insulation and every opening for light switches etc is sealed with spray foam. Thee is a significant cost but I figured the pay back here in the desert between 5 to 7 years. And if it is 108 outside I can maintain the inside at 73 to 74 degrees. I am still not sold on the heat pump but.... I can always put on a sweater in the winter.

I had to fill a pain med script the other day and I guess there is a another new process that requires approval from the doc (who wrote the script in the first place) and Medicare any way I was 4 days past filling it and it takes another week to get everything together. So they allowed (ha!) me to fill 5 days worth you can no longer get partial refills so I have to go to the doc and have him write another one less the 5 day supply its always something. Not that the doc wont do it its just a hassle.

I am suppose to go in anyway for a followup. Should be good my bp is back down to (my) good numbers. If I can keep it below 160/90 they're satisfied, not happy but at least they don't break out another pill to take. A while back I went to the kidney doc and he said that getting it down isn't a problem the thing is with all the MS fatigue on top on the BP meds I would fall asleep in my cereal so I sorta balance the two.

I really do hate the fatigue, even after all these years I feel lazy when I just cant do something. You know when it is a huge task just to get up and get a drink of water from the kitchen.

Maybe we are having all of our hot weather now and the rest of the summer will be cool?

Cherie hang in there...........
    Last edited by Gary; 07-01-2015 at 05:58 AM.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I haven't checked in for awhile, and since you all were so nice, and so supportive, I thought I should. I'm doing pretty good, considering I was so near to dying just one year ago. I guess Cats DO have 9 lives.... Anyway, I'll guess I'm back to about 75% of "normal" for me (which was using a wheelchair full time, but able to transfer easily from wheelchair to bath seat, toilet, bed; able to stand long enough to get something from a low shelf; able to transfer into a sedan; able to use the toilet for basic functions). As of right now, the transferring/standing is still an issue. Some days I can do it, other days, not so much. And still not able to be confident that I can transfer quickly enough from chair to toilet, So I'm still wearing a catheter. Ugh. I'm hoping by the end of summer I can be weaned off that again. Took about 6 weeks the last time I had to use one; but then I only had an in-dwelling cath for about 2 months. This time it's been a full year. So I'm expecting it will take longer. And I gained weight. Not back to what I was before I got sick the first time, two years ago. That's good, because I was WAY overweight. Now I could stand to lose maybe 10 pounds, but that's do-able. So long as I stop munching on these coconut macaroons I made..they're downright addictive!

I still have the pressure sore that darn near killed me (got to my spine, starting infecting; they thought I would develop blood poisoning, untreatable, terminal). But it is MUCH smaller, and right now healing quickly. It seems like it will heal quickly for awhile, then slow down or come to a complete stop, be stopped for awhile, then pick up healing again. Over the last 6 weeks it's been moving right along. It'll be six weeks since I've been to the wound clinic (they were closed most of the month of June). My appointment is Monday ... we'll see what the doctor says.

And Tom Cat. As of right now as I type this, he's in the hospital (as an out patient) getting an infusion of copper. He has a very very rare copper deficiency. Even after taking copper supplements for 3 months, there's still little copper showing up in his blood. A copper deficiency can lead to all sorts of neurological problems, and if severe enough can mimic myelodysplastic anemia, a form of leukemia...which is what is his working diagnosis. We're hoping instead it IS the copper deficiency, as that can be treated with copper supplements and more copper infusions. The myelo... can't be treated. So he'll be there most of the morning (has to check in, be hooked up, then be infused for 2-1/2 hours). Then a blood test next week to see if there is any change.

So. Weather here has been moderate. In the 70's during the day with a few days when it spiked to the mid 80's, and one day it hit 91. But cool at night, cool enough that we turn off the air conditioner, open the windows. This next week though will be hot. I love central air. I know I couldn't live without it.....

Rabbits eating up most of our garden. I'm researching the web for good rabbit stew recipes....
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

6. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good news about your garden, Peg! And good luck with the neuro visit. Will that mean a long trip in the heat for you?

Cat Dancer, it's really good to know that you've made such a great comeback. These things do take time and still more time.

I'd like to lose 10 pounds too. My latest weight-loss gimmick is keeping an Excel chart showing my daily weight. Watching that line stay unchanged might be depressing enough to prompt me to stay out of the dry roasted peanuts.

Rabbits are just made for Hasenpfeffer. I haven't tried this but:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/hasenpfeffer

Gary, I was about to offer to send my hot weather to anyone who likes it but yours sounds more dramatic. These temperatures over 90' are getting old very fast.

Yesterday it was over 90' but it was window-washing day here in this building. Once a year a crew comes in and washes all the windows outside for us, a service I really appreciate. But it means a solid day when I can't open any windows and have to move plants, etc., off my patio--then back onto the patio.

I had real doubts about whether I could do it. In previous years it's been iffy, and this year I have more plants. All I need to do is carry them a few steps across the yard but those few steps are a problem in the heat. The terrain is very uneven--not level at all, with lots of rocks and tree roots. I have big problems walking in that situation, and trying to walk while carrying potted plants and plant stands is even trickier. But I did it! The windows are clean, the plants are back on the patio, and now I can recover from that little adventure.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

It seems to stay 70 degrees here.......OH, you mean outdoors!

I'm glad it's almost payday. I didn't even now it was July until I looked in here. My brother's birthday is this month. He will never catch up to my age!

Just watching TV with the cats. They explain anything I don't understand.

Have a great day all!!!
    Roswell was a gift.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thanks Peg for getting us started again. Keep us posted about your neuro visit. Glad the garden is going well. Wish I had some home grown tomatoes. A tomato sandwich just sounds wonderful.

Gary, your life just stays so complicated. I think the way you handle it is because you have the wife and kids. Don't need your B/P or your weather. Just stay in and cool.

Cat, your report sounds overall good. We had all been so concerned about you last year. Well, you've already had your "wake" so that's out of the way and Tom Cat will not have to go through all that again. I do hope he is going to be alright. I remember when you had lost too much weight.

Well, I join Cat and Agate in wanting to loose 10lbs, but then I've been wanting to do that for so long I just try not to think about it anymore.

Agate, glad you were able to get through the ordeal of moving everything and then putting it back. Now that it's over isn't it nice to have clean windows.

Howie, run to the bank, the grocery store and the drug store and then get back in the cool.
    Virginia

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Virginia, that will be almost my exact routine come Friday. I take off right at 7am before it gets too hot. Being payday, I'll do my heaviest shopping, and get home in the cool.
    Roswell was a gift.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

It's hot. Ugh.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Hi everyone. I talked to my son Jim today about this site. I told him about Sally stopping posting and all of us concerned. I am going to send him the site and if I should fall or drop dead he can come here and post to save everyone from worrying.

I'm so glad Sally's daughter let Agate know Sally was in the hospital and is now in rehab from a fall. The members here are like a family. I feel very close to many of on our board.

Poor Lacy, not only is she afraid of thunder, but our neighbors keep firing off fireworks and she is hiding and shaking. Stay cool everyone. Jeanie :).

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

Iowa has yet to have hot hot weather,,highest we been is 89,, we are due,,we'll probally get Garys weather,, we usually do..

I am also glad Sally has been found we are her internet family,, okay,, she went passed curfew ,,she's grounded,,lol !!

Agate my neuro is in the clinic here,, he is from NY,, I like him,,,,

Cat its always good to hear from you, glad things are going good for you,, us mid/west gals hard to keep us down to long.

that's all from the tar paper shack on the gravel road,,

have a good holiday,,,
    Last edited by Pegakafarmgirl; 07-01-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 32 1234561131 ... LastLast