Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CN Central: June Check In

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Talking CN Central: June Check In

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Finally decided to break the silence here at CN. I reckon that we're all quite busy these days. If you have a moment, please stop by and update. When we all last connected, quite a few of us were managing some current or looming crisis/major issue. I'm thinking of all of you and our wonderful children, keeping the prayers flowing for you.

In our home, Jim has been the focus. He experienced every reported side effect to the pneumonia vaccine, including a worsening of his arthritis exacerbation. A week of agony.

He had 12 vials of blood drawn last Friday. We were surprised to learn that Medicare doesn't cover: hemoglobin (anemia), cholesterol, triglycerides (sugar) or PSA (prostate). When you're a senior, these are the most likely candidates for you to have a problem. They are common tests for most people over 40, and especially for people over 60! But Medicare doesn't cover them, so we turn it over to Jim's Supplemental Part B for payment. Or we pay $312 for these tests.

I guess that we're in for some eye-opening experiences on Jim's medical journey, including what Medicare does and does not cover.

Jim saw our fabulous dentist for a consult on his jaw/ear pain. He has the nubs of two teeth on the bottom to hold his denture. She noted decay and suspected infection, so he took a 7 day course of Amoxicllin. He still has periodic pain, although it is improving. If it doesn't abate, his next option is an ENT.

We were able to be referred to our fantastic GI for Jim's colonoscopy. That needs to be scheduled, but we're waiting, because Jim has been weak and needs to gain weight, before he goes through that cleansing. We also need to schedule a CT of his lungs.

Thankfully, Jon has been well. His list of concerns now are: infection in his left big toe from the toenail clipping last month of his ingrown nail; deepening of the depression on his coccyx; torso bulging on his left side, where he leans (dependent edema and deformation). His nurse will address these concerns, when she visits this week to change Jon's catheter.

I will be calling Jon's IHSS case manager this week. She sent Jon's doc a form asking him how often Jon's Gtube formula is given and how long it takes to set up/dismantle the feeding, give a water flush, give meds. How would he know? He doesn't live with us, nor does he do these tasks, nor is he even in charge of this aspect of Jon's care. Jon has a GI for that, but even the GI doesn't know the answers to those questions. And he didn't set Jon up on his formula/schedule. The hospital nutritionist did in 2009.

Then, we received Jon's Notice of Action for his assessment by the Ice Queen last month. It's the same as it has been for decades. No changes to the tasks performed.

Jon receives no hours for feeding or for paramedical services (which G Tube feeding is considered to be). He gets no hours for respiration care (suctioning, trache care, etc.). No hours for managing his indwelling catheter, nor his colostomy.

All of his hours are packed into the Protective Supervision category. This is as a result of the fair hearing I won in 1988. And the Ice Queen told me that Jon wasn't eligible for Protective Supervision, because he's not ambulatory. I felt like saying to her, "Jon's File ~ Meet the Ice Queen." She hadn't even looked at the distribution of hours for him, before her visit!

All of this begs the question, which I will ask her when I call her this week: What is the point of asking how long it takes to perform a task, when that task isn't paid for through IHSS?

While I was discussing this absurdity with the doc's assistant, she flipped through Jon's file, and she couldn't find this particular form anywhere, going back 8 years. That's because it's unnecessary, so it was never sent to him. Until the new case manager was assigned to Jon.

Her supervisor is Jon's former case worker, who happens to love us and was a great advocate for Jon. So, I have recourse if the Ice Queen gives me any guff about making our doc fill out this ridiculous form.

Ah, but the point is: I DON'T NEED THIS! I have enough to manage with Jim and Jon, and handling EVERYTHING in the home. I am literally doing all of the heavy lifting here. And I'm encroaching on T I L T!

When I told Jim that I need to get to bed before 3 a.m. (as I did this morning, while he slept) and that my hip, back and knee were hurting from being on my feet so much, he said, "Let's get our bathroom remodeled with a walk in tub."

Yes, dear, that's exactly what I want to do next. Construction. Weeks of construction.

Plenty of space open here

And the smoothies are flowing like lava!

Please join me dear friends!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi Rose!

Thank you for the update! I have been thinking of you and wondering if something bad was going on. Sorry to hear that Jim is still having a rough time. Wow, that is unbelievable that those tests are not covered! I don't know how the supplemental insurance works. I know my parents have something, I can remember my Mom telling me they met with a lady and signed up for all that last year when they turned 65. They haven't got the bills for my Dad's surgery yet so I am sure I will learn more when those come in and they see what is covered and what isn't.

So glad that Jon has been well at least, one stress at a time is enough! Hope the nurse visit goes well and she can address the things Jon has going on medically. The Ice Queen sounds like a real witch. I picture the white witch from the Narnia movies! (Caitlin went as her for Halloween one year, lol) What a pain for you to have to go back and deal with paperwork issues resolved so long ago. Do you think she will be allocating hours for those tasks currently not covered or is this just a way to make busywork for you to jump through hoops to keep the funding you have? It sucks that the government makes it hard for people who are obviously not cheating the system...Jon is disabled and isn't faking it! In my perfect world, there would be a category that could be "checked", like, permanently disabled where it is obvious that there won't be improvement that they could focus efforts on those who really may be cheating the system, you know?

It really gets my goat since I just filled out my annual 10 page form of woe for Caitlin's Katie Beckett MA. This year we got another home visit too. I can't remember if we had one last year or if it was 2 years ago. I just think what a waste it is for them to send the lady here to check. She is super nice, don't get me wrong, but I scramble to clean the house nice, wrangle the boys to stay busy with something so they don't pester us, and get Caitlin all ready (I made the appointment for 9am). It was a relief to have it early and get it done with though. She came, I had just gotten Caitlin into her wheelchair after bathing her and got her a bowl of cereal to munch on while I talked to the lady. I also fed Caitlin her Depakote (sprinkles in yogurt) while the lady was here so she got to see that Caitlin is not able to do that on her own. She can pick up hard foods, but soft foods like ice cream, soup or yogurt, we have to feed to her. We all sat at the kitchen table and she flipped through the form. I am sure there are people who don't know how to fill it out and need her help, but I am a pro by now. We chatted a little bit about Caitlin, I mentioned the fusion surgery and said that I did write in the form about it. Probably in the hour long visit, we talked about Caitlin for 5 minutes. I know all about her kids & dogs and we talked about our dog....maybe I need to get a job like this, lol! Anyway, I am glad to be done with it and I am not worried that she won't qualify for the MA. She is permanently disabled!

That was a good laugh about the bathroom remodel! I think that is just the way men think though....they want to actually do something to fix a problem. A walk-in tub does sound nice though! Our tub is so weird (it is a seat so it is a 90 degree drop so you can't lay back in it like a regular tub) that I don't ever take baths, I miss soaking in a bubble bath while reading a book. <sigh> I've been fantasizing about finishing our basement bathroom. When we built, we actually had all the walls built in the basement for the future room plans so all the walls are up, there is a door & a light bulb and it is stubbed in for a toilet, shower and sink, just need to do the finishing so not too bad. Right now we call it the "pellet room" since that is where we put our bags of pellets for the pellet stove, lol.

Aside from the home visit, there hasn't been anything too exciting here which is good! The Flonase & allergy meds have been working great for both Caitlin & I. She is back to her usual self. Summer school started today...I was happy for that! The kids liked their classes and I was happy that it was all at the high school this year. I wasn't sure if I would like that or not, but they are remodeling the middle school this summer so it was all located at the high school. I hope they keep it that way forever! The high school is new, bigger, and it is also air conditioned through the whole building! The middle school is the old (really OLD, like one portion is from the 1920s) high school) so no a/c. Caitlin has ESY (extended school year), also at the high school. She does not do well in the heat at all so this is great. She has 6 weeks of ESY and the boys' classes are for 4 weeks so this month will fly by fast I think.

Her surgery will come up fast I think. I am ready. She is so twisted it is hard to get her seated properly in her chair. I have watched it a few times on the youtube...just search on spinal fusion surgery and tons of videos come up. It was brutal to watch it, but gave me more ideas for questions to ask the surgeon. We see him for a pre-op visit two weeks before the surgery.

Sending healing thoughts to you all!!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

3. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Rose, I'm so sorry for all the health issues Jim has been facing. I'm sure it's exhausting,frustrating and so time consuming. I pray that it will all be OK and you can both breath a sigh of relief. I'm sp glad that Jon has been doing well. The red tape and paper work is just so pointless. Why isn't there a way to just be done once if the person is determined to be permanently disabled. I know it's easy for me to say but please be sure your're taking care of yourself. Keep us posted...
    Lisa, I hope ESY goes well. Praying that surgery will be uncomplicated and she will have aa quick recovery. What is the date of surgery? I'm sure you mentioned it but I forgot. It's amazing what you can find on youtube! So glad it helped with your questions. I remember going into Kathleen's last surgery with notebook and list of questions the Dr. was so happy that I had it all written down.
    It's been pretty busy here. End of the year and tri-annual review for school for Kathleen. We had her IEP meetings to prepare for her senior year! I just can't even believe it! She can't wait for graduation next year. Even though she will actually stay till she's 21. She may be able to take a couple of electives next year like art or woodworking since she has fulfilled many of her requirements. She's been feeeling pretty good lately (knocking wood). She's been staying longer at school and going everyday. Monday is her last day. She still can't wear her leg brace. We're very anxiuose to have her gait analysis at Shriners. She's had a couple of appointments but I rescheduled them for when school ends. We leave for Wildwood NJ at the end of June for 5 days. We go with a large group of friends so it's always a great time. I'm hoping to set up some therapy for Kathleen over the summer to keep her moving. Kathleen looks forward to her yearbook all year long aand this year we got it and her picture wasn't in it!!! I was so upset and so sad! We got a refund ($70) but it doesn't make up for this. She had her senior picure taken on Tuesday for next years yearbook. Well that's about it Thanks for getting us started again Rose!!!
    Mary Grace

5. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Lisa)))))) ~

So good to hear from you!

I know exactly what you go through preparing for a social worker's visit. There's that extra mile we go to, just to make sure that everything is in tip top shape. I always feel like I'm being judged. It doesn't help that our home is a complete wreck in terms of being unfinished. Our kitchen walls have swatches of color on them while we decide which one we like best, and the floor is the concrete slab covered with a really cheap linoleum, which is taped to the thresholds. We started all of these projects, and then Jon became ill in 2009, and that was the end of our remodeling. So, I can clean until I'm falling over, but it's still unfinished, and you can't tell that I lifted a finger.

For many years, I have argued that the IHSS program is the wrong one for people, who are completely dependent for all of their needs, require 24 hour care and supervision, and are permanently disabled. They need a separate program. And their in-home caregivers should be paid the equivalent of an out of home placement. It would be economically and morally superior to the IHSS program, which covers about 9 hours/day of care at the maximum.

Caitlin's social worker wasn't towing the company line, and she wasn't tied to the forms. She saw Caitlin as a person, and you as her devoted Mother. That's all she needed to know. Plus, Caitlin has been in this program for many years.

The Ice Queen was exactly the opposite. She is definitely in the wrong business.

I'm glad that your Annual Tale of Woe is behind you now.

When is Caitlin's surgery? I need a reminder! My prayers are ongoing, but I will step them up for Caitlin, you, Brian, and the boys and your family on the day of surgery.

All classrooms should be air conditioned, especially with the weather issues we're having and will continue to have. So, I'm glad that your kids are in a cool environment for Summer School. Heat was always a factor for Michael. Jon tolerates it better, but he can only stand so much. When it hits 90 degrees, our a/c is on.

I can't remember the last time I had a bath. I actually prefer showers, because sitting on a hard surface, or even reclining on one, doesn't do my back or hip any favors. I think Jim would find that to be true now too. I think what we need is an accessible shower. But then, we're getting older, and it's possible that we'll have trouble standing one day, given our RA. This is one of the reasons why I'm not ready to go forward with the bathroom remodel, although I would dearly love a new bathroom. Unlike you, we need the entire bathroom gutted. New floor, new toilet, new vanity, new tub/shower, new tile. It's a major job, and I think we have mold, so there's more to tag on to it.

I should have taken a selfie with my expression when Jim suggested a bathroom remodel to help with my getting to bed earlier. I'm pretty sure that the caption would be: "What?!?!?!"

It appears that I forgot to mention that Jim's blood work was normal essentially, with Rheumatoid Factor elevated. Our doc's office called with a referral to a Rheumatologist. Jim is unsure, because he doesn't want to take any of the drugs prescribed for RA. The side effects are horrendous and terrifying. There isn't a cure; the point of the drugs is to stop RA progression. A friend of ours has been taking these drugs for more than 30 years, and she is crippled and in agonizing pain, and she has endured dreadful side effects. They have done nothing for her, and have made her more ill. So, neither Jim nor I are willing to take these drugs.

I hope that you're enjoying your "free time," while Summer School is in session. Be good to yourself.

And here's your smoothie

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 06-11-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

So glad that you joined us!

Wonderful news that Kathleen is well and able to attend a full day of school! Senior year ~ wow! Does her high school have fun activities at the end of the school year for the seniors?

Oh, I'm so so sorry that Kathleen's school picture isn't in her yearbook. What happened? No amount of money can replace that disappointment for her. I loved my yearbooks too and poured over them many times (still have all of them somewhere in the garage).

Does the yearbook have photos of students doing activities, at assemblies, football games, etc.? If so, maybe you could have a chat with the Yearbook teacher, and suggest that during Kathleen's senior year, candid photos of Kathleen could be taken and included in next year's yearbook to make up for her picture not appearing in this year's book. Then, Kathleen would have her senior picture, and several other candid shots, in the Yearbook. I'll bet she'd be over the moon.

Hope that Shriner's is able to help Kathleen. I'm sure that you'll have a fantastic vacation in Wildwood. Looking forward to hearing all about it (and seeing photos!).

Thank you for reminding me to take care of myself. I'm trying.

Serving up your smoothie to get you in pre-vacation mode!

Love & Light,

Rose

Hi all! Good to read what you have all been up to. Sounds pretty busy!!! Quick update from me... just finished my second week of full-time work! Exhausted! But enjoying it a lot. I have taken over a few files and this week wrote submissions to a small claims court, wrote a letter of advice, co-interviewed a client with my boss, contacted clients to update them on their files, did LOTS of research, and went to a networking meeting with disability-related groups to promote the free legal help we give! Am absolutely loving having evenings and weekends FREE! I have not had that before... always had study to do! I am trying to look into new hobbies I can take up to get a bit of structure around things. Any ideas, let me know. :)
    Enjoying the excitements of life. Looking forward to what's to come! What a ride!

9. The following user says "thanks"

Tyler had a good run for about a month and then,,,,yep... another UTI. On call doctor just called. They are trying to find an antibiotic Tyler isn't resistant to that will kill the latest bug. They are putting him on Cipro as a bandaid until the final culture brews out (hopefully later today). In the meantime, Tyler is back to gagging and retching, retaining urine (500+ cc's each cath), seizing, in a cold sweat and running temps. We were so hoping that we had finally gotten a handle on this vicious cycle, but no such luck. Got to get him healthy cause his mom and siblings are flying in next month for a three week stay and he is miserable.

Sorry to hear Jon and Jim have been having problems. Hopefully they will resolve soon. IHSS hasn't been a problem for us. The Social Worker was here a few weeks ago (while Tyler had his sinus infection) and upped our hours again. Have no idea why other than she see's Tyler's ongoing condition and advocates for us. She is really nice. Guess we lucked out. Now if I could just get the Union to stop badgering us to come to meetings and join the cause. Sure happy we have caller ID.

Nice to see people popping in again. The site has been too quiet.
    grandmother of Tyler (22): Ohtahara Syndrome/SCN2a gene mutation, cortically visually impaired, quadriplegic, severely developmentally delayed, no speech, severe intractable seizures, frontal and temporal lobe atrophy, progressive scoliosis/kyphosis, chronic kidney stones & UTI's, gastroparesis, 100% tube fed, autonomic dysreflexia, but what a precious gift from God. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

11. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Erin)))))) ~

So happy you dropped by!

Wow! Already a working lawyer! And it sounds like you're a very busy lawyer! I love that you offer free legal assistance to persons with disabilities. A long-held dream of mine is to start a foundation to assist persons with disabilities in legal and advocacy matters, with a coalition of lawyers, paralegals, and advocates. Just have to win the lottery first. (Have to play the lottery first, actually! )

Hobbies? Hmmm ... do you want indoor or outdoor hobbies? Arts and crafts? What are your interests?

My former hobbies were: floral arranging (I sat on the patio for a 1/2 hour a day arranging flowers, and it was quite relaxing); candle making (lots of work/prep/cleanup, but the results were handmade candles to give to loved ones as gifts; beading (bracelets and earrings, but my hands don't function well enough anymore for that detailed work, and the old peepers get tired).

A hobby should be relaxing and entertaining. Just ponder what interests you, amuses you, calms you ... you'll think of something.

Here's your smoothie to go Ms. Awesome Attorney!

Love & Light,

Rose

Blog Entries

((((((Tamie)))))) ~

So glad that you're here!

But so sorry to hear that Tyler is again battling a UTI. What a challenge to find an antibiotic to kick these bacteria out for good. My guess is he might need something powerful via IV, or possibly a combination of antibiotics. What's the deal with the kidney stones? Any possibility that they might get attention/removal?

Once again, I encourage you to experiment with an indwelling catheter for a month or two, just to see if it will make a difference. Jon hasn't had a UTI for 4 years. And it would be a lot less work for you and Jerry.

Tyler should qualify for the maximum 283 hours/per month for a severely impaired recipient in IHSS. He requires 24 hour care, which means that he has an unmet need through IHSS of 15 hrs/day, since 9 hrs/day is the IHSS maximum.

On Tyler's Notice of Action, does he have hours for care in these categories:

Protective Supervision
    Paramedical Services (that's the catheterization and G Tube feeding)
    Domestic Services
    Related Services (eg. laundry)
    Non Medical Personal Services (all which are applicable)

Tyler should have hours in all of these categories, which would easily total 283 hrs/month. While your case worker is nice, she isn't advocating enough for Tyler and your family, or he'd have the 283 hrs/month. And that should be set in concrete for the rest of Tyler's life.

IHSS social workers are told to give the fewest hours possible to every recipient. They are told to argue that Protective Supervision is only for recipients, who are capable of pulling a knife out of drawer and harming themselves or others. That is BS. I know the regulations inside and out, and that is not the definition of PS. I consulted MANY lawyers from 1986 to 1988 preparing my fair hearing against the County. I prevailed, and you will too.

After I prevailed, I counseled dozens of parents on the process, prepared Fair Hearing documents for their cases, citing regulations verbatim, and even accompanied a few parents to their Fair Hearings as an advocate.

We fought the unions in the early 90s. We fought a takeover of IHSS by a for-profit nursing home organization. We fought the legislature, when they withheld our paychecks during budget negotiations.

Tyler deserves and is entitled to the maximum hours for his care, and you are entitled to reimbursement for providing that care.

If you want to pursue this, let me know, and I'll guide you through the process and give you the ammunition to win. But you might not need to have a fair hearing, if you are knowledgeable about the program and able to convince the case worker and her supervisor that Tyler does deserve these hours, and that you intend to file a fair hearing if they don't agree. A threat may be all that's needed.

Start by going through Tyler's Notice of Action, item by item, and calculate how much time you actually spend in all of those activities. You'll be surprised.

The union reps will start showing up at your doorstep, when the phone harassment is unsuccessful. I stopped it finally by screaming at a union rep, who knocked on our door, despite the notice on our door requesting that no one knock, since "Residents are Sleeping." I told her that I would never join the union, to take that back to her superiors, and leave me alone, or I intended to file a complaint and call the police. Trespassing and harassment are illegal. Even for a union rep. So, if someone does show up at your door, be sure to tell them exactly that.

Healing prayers are on their way ~

And your smoothie is being served under a canopy with wafting breezes flowing around you ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Blog Entries

Hi Everyone! I am late to check in - apologies! Jim and I came home from our Natalie's graduation in Delaware early because we both had the flu (caught from Nick who was really sick with it for about a month, but luckily, he's all better now and so are we)! We just opened Jim's family cottage this past weekend and got rid of the spiderwebs and mouse droppings (or drippings as Jim's aunt calls them). It was lovely to be in nature. I went to see my Mom and brought her some new summer clothes. She's OK but getting so frail now - she doesn't have the energy to get dressed very often anymore, but yesterday she was all dressed and with lipstick on when we skyped her from Nick's room. So that's good - there's life in the old girl yet. She was thrilled with the cigarettes we brought her from the duty free lol! I've been working a lot on two research projects - one a national childhood disability project on life course of children and families and another bioethics reflective paper for doctors and med students on how to tell new parents in the NICU that their baby has a neurological injury. So both are interesting. It's fun being the 'family rep' - I get to listen and once in a while say something, but I don't have all the actual work to do.
    I'm so happy to hear all of your news. Rose, I've been thinking about you and of course Jim. How is he now? Is getting better? I worry about you too - your situation is so fragile and you and Jim depend on one another so much to keep Jon well. It's such a delicate balance. I had to laugh when I read what he said about the walk in shower. Bless him - he's a real GUY :) Mary Grace, Tamie, Lisa, Erin, I am so happy to hear your news (although not the UTI, Tamie!). I hope everyone has a peaceful and healthy summer. We will be up to the cottage and back down to see Nick and my Mom often. Nick doesn't want to come anymore. Last time he tried coming for the day, he was too sore and he said it wasn't worth it. Too bad. Oh well, he's positive, so I guess we should be too. He has a new friend called Sean who is going to start visiting to play Playstation and talk about WWE and hockey. Amazing to find someone of similar age with exactly the same interests! Hallelujah! Love to you, xoxo Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

15. The following user says "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast