Thread: Diapering

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Default Diapering

Hello!

I figured I would give this a separate post since it is just a single question. For all her life, when we had to change Caitlin's diaper, we put the new one underneath her first (learned this great tip in the NICU!), open up the one she has on, lift her legs up and wipe with the old diaper (if it is gobs of poop), pull the old diaper out, wipe clean with wipes (while still holding legs up) and then set her butt down on the new diaper and do the Velcro closures and redress her.

Now that she is a lot older and taller, we still do everything the same way, but for her legs, I typically will pick up her legs by her ankles and then bend them at the knee so they are like a 90 degree angle and then hold the legs up by putting my arm under her 90 degree angle knees. Hard to put this into words without a diagram! :) Anyway, when I then lift her butt up, her pelvis does tilt up too and then bends at the bottom of her spine. I do need to lift that much when she poops since it tends to shoot up the back and I want to get it all cleaned off of her.

My question is, after her back surgery, I fear I will not be able to bend her like that for changing and am trying to think how I will have to do this task...especially while she is healing from the surgery. I did ask a nurse while we were in the hospital recently, other ways they do it when the kids are so tall. She said sometimes they turn the kids on their side to do it which didn't sound easy to me since I am just used to the way we have always done it. Rose, I remember one time that you had mentioned that your friend 'B' had an innovative way to do the diapering. I was just curious what that way is or if anyone else has experience with this and wants to chime in, I am open to ideas. I am sure the PT in the hospital will work with me on that since they will be teaching me ways to lift and turn her after the surgery....but I want to be as prepared as I can be! :)

Thanks!!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

((((((Lisa)))))) ~

Wow! You have a great memory! Unfortunately, I don't. The only thing that I remember about the way B's mom diapered him is that she used a liner, which she constructed from another diaper, to prevent leakage.

We used the side to side diapering method for Jon. It is relatively easy.

Roll Caitlin on her side, untape diaper on that side, wipe her back and bum. Roll up the old diaper, tuck under her. Roll the opposing side of the new diaper, tuck that under the rolled up soiled diaper. Turn her to the other side. Pull out the soiled diaper, wipe her on that side, then pull the new diaper through. Return her to her back and clean her front.

Here's a video with another technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMlw5dBk9LE

More than likely, an OT, PT, and/or nurse will demonstrate the best method to change Caitlin's diapers in the hospital setting. To set your mind at ease, you might ask that question of the hospital or her doctor, before the surgery.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend making a list of questions to take with you to the hospital.

Meanwhile, you might want to practice the side to side technique now, so you've got the hang of it before surgery.

I know the feeling of being set in our ways, and something new or a change throws us off. But I've usually found that the new way is better. And that was certainly true with diapering.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

I did a trial of liners when we switched from regular baby diapers to the "medical" youth sizes. After we found the right youth size, I decided it worked great even without a liner so I didn't have those added to our monthly delivery. But I am glad I know about them if we should ever need them in the future, especially once she gets her period.

I watched the video...the thing I worry most about is getting it situated evenly between her legs which from the way they did it in the video, could end up not even (and then leak). This used to happen a lot when C was still at the elementary school. I guess that is one thing where being a boy would make that easier! I think I could adapt the side method though...put the new diaper down first, then roll her to her side, clean her up and roll her back to the back and then carry on the way I usually do by centering her butt on the new diaper and pulling it up and closed. I also worry about how side roll would work in a blow-out poop situation....though when it is everywhere, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot! LOL! :)

I will have to add that to my list of questions for sure. We have an appointment with the surgeon 2 weeks before the surgery. I went to the forum/discussion panel meeting at the hospital and asked a ton of questions but have since come up with a few more new ones....written down of course! I even watched a fusion surgery on youtube. It was rather fascinating, but brutal. One good thing was, all the comments on it from people who had it done were positive. One person had a 63 degree curve corrected to be now 12 degrees! I can't even imagine how Caitlin would be so straight. I remember when her curve was only 28 degrees, we could hardly tell at that point, but to hear of improvement down to 12 degrees gives me hope for a good outcome!

Thanks for finding the video...it was interesting to watch it and I think I might check out some other ones on how to properly do lifts and other care duties...but now is bedtime! :)

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!