HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

Just take a moment on Sunday,
    to realize how incredible you are,
    how amazing you are,
    how strong you are,
    how blessed you are,
    and how loved and appreciated you are.

You have mastered Motherhood.
    And, even under the most ideal circumstances, that is quite a feat.

But, you have ventured beyond the ideal circumstances,
    where the demands of Motherhood are even greater.

Sure, there were times, when it got messy, and you weren't at the top of your game,
    but we aren't perfect.

We're just trying to be the best Moms we can be to our children.

We wear all of the usual Mom hats, and several others, which only we don.

And when we wear those hats, we rock them!

You've met the challenges and changes with grace and a sense of humor,
    with intelligence and discernment,
    and with loving care.

You deserve a Mother's Day as beautiful as you are,
    to be honored for who you are ~

AN AWESOME MOM!

Mother's Day Blessings to You All ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Rose Thank You! Beautiful words, I could have used a tissue warning though. I hope you had a wonderful day!!
    Mary Grace

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

Yes, beautiful words Rose! I hope you had a nice Mother's Day!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Mary Grace & Lisa)))))) ~

I meant every single word! You are awesome Moms!

I'd love to hear about your Mother's Day activities.

Mine was bittersweet, as always. Michael coded in the ER on Mother's Day in 2003, which began his final illness, so Mother's Day is painful for me, as is the entire month of May.

It didn't help that our new neighbor, who bought our dear friend's home, decided that Mother's Day was the ideal time to hammer and saw from morning til sunset, working on the remodeling of his McMansion. Sunday is the only day in our neighborhood, with the promise of quiet. I was very close to marching over to his house to tell him how I felt about him violating the silence and serenity of the day. But I just stewed about it all day instead.

Additionally, Jim has been quite ill for a few weeks with an RA flare, in excruciating pain, with nodules on his wrists, elbows, knees and pain in his shoulders. He's been incapacitated, and I've been caring for him. This, along with some other potential health issues, has been very concerning and stressful for us. He has an appointment with Jon's doctor (our family doctor, except this will be Jim's first visit) on May 19. I'm sure Jim will receive a full exam, and then he'll be prescribed a battery of tests. We are endeavoring to maintain a positive attitude, and praying for the best outcome.

I apologize for being a Debbie Downer here. This is why I haven't posted much lately.

I was summoned for Jury Duty and my request to be excused was denied for the first time in 30+ years. I called the Court twice, but had to leave messages, and finally, I sent a long detailed explanation about Jon, and his care needs, via email on the Court's website. I also emailed my county supervisor, asking for help. Finally, yesterday, the Court approved my excuse.

The tree trimmers dropped heavy limbs on our patio cover, which is alumawood, and put a hole in it, and getting that repaired has been a litany of phone calls. Still not done, and it's been 2 weeks.

Bottom line: I am exhausted.

Jon is well, thankfully. Toenail Gals were here today; tomorrow, Nurse will be here to change his catheter, so he's getting time with his "girlfriends."

So ... cheer me up and tell me about your Mother's Day ~ Let me live vicariously!

Let's meet here ~

Smoothies are being prepared right now!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

(((Rose)))

Sending prayers for Jim's exam to go well for him! Sorry to hear you have crappy new neighbors. That sucks that they are not considerate about noise. I actually found out that our next door neighbors are selling their house....I saw a post on facebook of all places! I was looking at the house picture thinking, "why does this look familiar?", then I looked at the address! It is by owner so they didn't have a sign out front yet. They are nice, but kept to themselves so we are hoping that we get a similar type. Their boys are older than our so they didn't really ever play together. They are both in high school now so I am guessing they are moving closer to that since they send them to the private Catholic school which is quite a distance from where we are.

Anyway! Mother's Day...busy, of course! We saw Brian's parents on Saturday when we picked up the kids after the dog training day we went to. I buy both of our mothers a hanging plant every year so we brought that over and just hung out for awhile before leaving with the kids. It was nice and relaxing. Sunday, we got up early to go to early church. I teach the pre-k -1st grade sunday school class (and share the duty with another lady). She had the idea a few weeks ago of having the kids paint little flower pots and then plant a flower for their mom in it. I thought that was cute so I offered to buy the dirt and flowers since she bought the pots & paint. She had them do the painting when it was her week to teach and last week I had them plant the flowers when it was my turn. She also had the kids draw a card and sign their names on it and she made copies enough to pass out at church on Mother's Day so that all the ladies in church would get something. So the kids passed out the cards at the end of the early service and at the beginning of the late service. We have fellowship (treats & coffee) in between services and I heard many positive comments on the cards! They also sold roses to support "Feed My Starving Children"...one rose for $5 buys 137 meals. Brian bought me one. When I was chatting inbetween services, Caitlin wheeled herself out of the fellowship hall into the entry area where they were selling the roses and helped the guy sell so he gave her one. She thought that was neat and she was proud to be a helper.

After Logy & Tyler helped pass out cards for the late service, we went home, quick ate some lunch and then went to my sister's house for my nephew's 11th bday party. It was not too nice outside, cold and looked like rain so we stayed inside for the party. It was still a nice time though! It was just my family, my parents and our Aunt (who lives in the other side-she owns the whole duplex and my sister rents from her). He was going to have a friend party too, but that was canceled since he was naughty at school again! He is beating my Tyler for being naughty at school now...Tyler got in trouble in March for looking up the word "butt" on his chromebook at school, not just once but 37 times! Oh yes! I got a phone call from the principal (who was probably trying not to laugh). He got banned from his chromebook for the month of April. In his class, they each have their own chromebook laptop to use so he had to use paper & pencil for that month anytime the kids did stuff on the computer. I thought it was a fitting punishment. I am guessing that he searched it 37 times because it was likely blocked when he pressed enter to search. Anyway, my nephew apparently told his substitute computer teacher that he could go to any website he wanted to and some other sass. Yikes! That tops the "butt" incident Tyler did I think! Anyway, so the party was short and sweet, nice to visit with them since they are busier even than we are so we haven't seen them much this past month or so.

We were home by 4 pm that night, and we had burgers on the grill for supper. Brian does the grilling here so I didn't have to cook which was nice. I was full from the party so I didn't make shakes with it, I think Brian was hoping for a strawberry shake (I make homemade shakes) but the thought of more food when we just ate ice cream cake and snacks all afternoon was not enticing. In our rush to get to my sister's on time, I had forgotten my mom's Mother's day plant so I brought that over to her house on Monday after she got out of work. (She works part time at the school by her house during the lunch hour - just for something to do) My Dad is doing good after his prostate surgery, but needs to do more resting and not as much activity. He has been overdoing it a little and bleeding yet she said. He is almost done with the book I brought him though, found the new Clive Cussler book at the library, his favorite author! And that was my Mother's Day weekend! :) Mellow and low key but that is perfect. Brian gave me a new yoga mat and a box of 8 chocolate covered strawberries on Friday for Mother's Day. That was nice! I am hoping to get back to the gym tomorrow and try my new mat out.

Hope you are able to get some rest soon Rose! I made myself fold laundry yesterday just to slow down a bit and watched a movie while I did that. It was really good...the Giver...Meryl Streep was in it. Brandon read the book this year for English and I read it too, very good read and I thought they did a good job with the movie.

Lisa O.
    Last edited by andromeda31; 05-13-2015 at 05:07 PM.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

((((((Lisa)))))) ~

Thanks for sharing your Mother's Day! Sounds quite busy, but full of love and fun. I love the flower pot gifts from the kids, and the roses for the starving children.

Logy, Tyler, and your nephew are competing for "naughtiest boy!" Such rascals!

Happy to hear that your dad is doing well after his prostate surgery, and hoping that bleeding subsides soon. Jon's urologist said that bleeding was common with prostate surgery. What condition prompted the surgery? Is your dad in his 60s? That seems to be when men's health starts going South. True for Jim. And true for another friend's husband, who just had hernia surgery.

I'm so glad that you had a good day! I hope you enjoyed your new yoga mat, and I'll bet those strawberries are gone (?) .

Thank you for your prayers for Jim. Thankfully, he is feeling better now, although he is still not well. At least he isn't gray. It has been/is scary, I admit.

I finished the email to the doctor today, went to the health portal, signed Jim up for the portal, got to Jim's page, and there was an address for someone, who lives in the desert, with phone numbers we've never seen, on Jim's demographic page. Jim's name and birthdate were correct. The rest was someone else!

So I called the Portal People, and a nice man named Gabriel said he'd write a "ticket" and call me tomorrow with more information. Someone messed up. Yep. And it wasn't me, I guarantee you! We've never lived in the desert, and I'm absolutely certain that Jim doesn't have a second family in the desert.

Something that should be so simple becomes really complicated. That is the story of my life.

Can't just get the tree trimmed. Have to have damage to the patio cover. Can't just get someone to clean it off for us. Have to go through weeks of begging, even though we're paying for it.

Can't just have termites that can be treated outside. Must have termites in the attic, and must deconstruct the office closet for attic access by termite exterminators for orange oil treatment.

Can't just expect the Court System to permanently remove me from their automated potential juror file. Must go through 3 weeks of calling, writing, begging to be excused.

And that really is the story of my life. I could give you thousands of examples where the simplest thing became a giant overblown thing. When I've been told, "I've never heard of anything like that happening to anyone!" "You're the first person, who has ever told me about anything like that!" Etc.

I spent a few hours culling dates, and information, verifying with Jim, trying to help him remember things, describe his pain, his symptoms, and so on, for that detailed email to the doctor, only to be told I can't send it! That was frustrating! The appt. is next Tuesday, and I want the doc to have an opportunity to read it before he sees Jim. It will save time at the appt, and it will help Jim, because he won't remember everything in the email. Of course, he'll have a hard copy with him, which he can hand to the doctor! But that defeats the purpose of advance information!

Technology ... it's great, when it works.

Hope everyone is feeling much better at your house. No more bugs ...

Never a dull moment for you, Lisa. You're a terrific Mom!

Love & Light,

Rose

Distinguished Community Member

Rose praying that Jim's health continues to improve. You must be so exhausted! I can understand why your mother's days are bittersweet, so sorry... I remember jumping through hoops to get out of jury duty a few years back. I could never be tie up for days rive Kathleen to and from school not to mention all her daily needs. Everyone else in our house works full time who would care for her? They went so far as to say hire a babysitter and call a cab for her to get to and from school. I flat out said I will not leave her which means if summoned I will not show up... It's hard for me I get very emotional and teary when I get upset. It took talking to a couple of people till I finally someone who could make the decision to take me off the list. I'm not sure how long but I haven't gotten anything in several years. Praying for good health and for less complications in your life, oh yes and quite.
    Lisa, sounds like a busy but nice Mother's day. I loved the movie The Giver. My oldest daughter(she's 27 now) read it in school and couldn't wait for us to see the movie. Sorry but had to laugh at the "butt" incident. My son when he was pretty young wanted to look for sneakers online and looked up Dick's (which is a sporting goods store,not sure if you have these). What came up scared the crap out of him and he actually called me on my cell to tell me what happened. Then on time I looked at something Kathleen was looking at on her laptop and it was not nice. I looked at the browser and it said "filthy journey" she was actually trying to look up the song Faithfully by Journey.
    Mother's Day was really quiet and nice. We ordered fish for dinner ( I hate cooking fish t home) As I said earlier Kelly got up with Kathleen and then they made me breakfast in bed. Did the marketing and Kelly pretty much took care of the daily chores, laundry and dishes. I got new Nike sandles from Kelly, a new toaster oven from Patrick and a very larger dark chocolate bar from Kathleen.
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

(((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

What a lovely Mother's Day starting with breakfast in bed! So glad you had a beautiful day! You're a terrific Mom!

And to what Patrick and Kathleen were finding on their internet searches!!!

Hire a babysitter and get a cab to take Kathleen to school?! I would have exploded in your shoes. Babysitters and cabs cost money, but beyond that, would the jury commissioner do that to his/her own children to serve on a jury? I mean ... WOW! That is way over the top!!

And the point is that we can't serve on a jury. One day at court for 8 hours is too much for me, but if I were called to serve on a jury, that could take weeks, months, years, depending upon the case. Sequestering? I can't do that! I was also supposed to be prepared to drop whatever I am doing, with an hour's notice to appear at court, if I was called. It's just crazy!

I'm glad you haven't been called again. I hope I'm not. I guess the courts are desperate for jurors. They have even summoned Jim to serve, and he's a British citizen!

Thank you for your prayers for Jim. He is improving very slowly. Today was his first day without Advil in the past 2 weeks, so that's encouraging. I'm plying him with as much nutrition as possible, but he still goes too long without eating. We had a "chat" about that today. I am very anxious about his doctor visit and the results of whatever tests the doctor orders. I am endeavoring to maintain a positive attitude, but his age is worrying me more than anything.

I found out today that I can't email the doctor, until after Jim has his first appointment. It would have been nice if someone had told me that from the beginning, since that is the main reason we signed up for the health portal! We still don't know where that desert address came from, but I've corrected it on the portal, and that seems to be all that is needed. Frustration!!!

Onward and Upward!

Enjoy your weekend with your family, Mary Grace ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 05-15-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Hi!

Oh that sucks about the termites Rose! I was wondering if you had the oil treatment done yet and how it worked. As if you really need to have that extra work on top of all that you & Jim regularly do. :(

Jim was grey? That sound pretty bad! Hope you have the portal stuff straightened out, that stinks that they screwed it up. I hate when they won't communicate by email, though I understand the portal is supposed to be more secure (that is what crabby nurse told me). I am actually stuck back with crabby neuro nurse but that is a story for another post! A different nurse told me that they (children's hospital) can communicate through email and that they just print it out and put the hard copy in the medical file...but I think that is just more work for them and some resist that...which is frustrating for us, the patients! To me, using email is better since then everyone is seeing the same information instead of playing "telephone" where the message gets screwed up down the line. I have also tried sending information in advance...to me it just makes sense to have the doctor know why I am there ahead of time so they can put some thought into the visit...especially when it is something complex. I have had mixed success with that but I still think it is good to do.

My Dad is keeping a notebook (he is old school and refuses to use a computer) of all his health data. I actually ran into him when I had to take Logy to the doctor last month. We were waiting in line for the reception desk and he walked in for his appointment. Too funny! But that is when he showed me the notebook and said he was writing all his stuff down in the notebook for us (sister & mom & I) so we don't have to try and puzzle it together if something happened to him. Good thinking! He just turned 65 this year...I agree, health goes south from what I have observed (I know lots of retired people at the gym). He found out about the heart thing last year and then I guess was having trouble with urination (according to my mom, didn't talk about this with dad! lol!). He went to the doctor about it and tried some medication but it didn't work well for him so he agreed to the surgery, apparently they hollow out a core of the gland. It was non-cancerous so that was good news. My mom said all functions are good so it was a successful surgery. He is limited to treadmill walking for now, I saw him today at the gym. He seemed to be moving pretty good. BTW, I finally got to try out my new mat today, it was so nice to not have the mat be disintegrating under my feet! I keep them in my van so I think the sun is harsh on it.

That sucks that the gov't makes it so hard to get dismissed from jury duty. I have actually never been called to serve that yet. I am curious about it though and wish I would get a chance! It would be a pain scheduling, I am sure, but if I have notice, our parents would help out. Weird that some people get stuck doing it a lot and some never. I would probably have to say, "can't be there until 8:30am though!", not sure if that would fly or not, lol! Speaking of legal crap, we got a letter today from "fat bastard" (the lawyer we had hired for Brian's DUI). I thought we were done with him, I was not too happy with his job performance. He sent us a bill for $57.00. A bill that had his law office named, not us! It was for gathering the file, video and copies from the county where Brian got the DUI and it was stamped "Past due". A video that he never looked at since he could not get it to open on his computer (in front of us) and then he deleted it by formatting the CD (even though I said, don't do that it will delete it all). Unreal. I feel like showing up with a bag full of $57 in pennies. I am not going to take action until Monday though so I can cool off my temper. Just had to vent!! Our case ended over 6 months ago and now he sends this to us? It isn't a big amount but I just am super annoyed at the lateness of this and his gall at not including that out of the excessive fee we already paid to him.

Mary Grace, yes, we have a Dick's here, lol, that is funny! Good that he told you though! I had to really try hard to not laugh over the "butt" incident. My thought was that I would rather have him get into trouble for something not too bad like "butt" vs something worse when he is older! After this, I am sure he will think twice! It was actually the school's IT department that caught it, they must have a report of things caught by the filter and they reported it to his teacher.

Speaking of naughty bits...here is a laugh for y'all: Today the 4th grade class was separted by gender and had the "Growing up" puberty discussion, lol! Tyler said this morning that he & his friend were saying that they should get their barf bags ready for this, lol! He already knows since I had checked out a "birds 'n bees" book from the library a long time ago when Brandon had the talk at school...this book I checked out went missing and I ended up getting billed for it. Never thought anything of it but always wondered where it went now and then. Well, apparently, it was hidden in Brandon's closet and Tyler & him read it! They are all still giggly about that stuff though, any kissing scenes on tv get a big "ewww", etc. So when Tyler came home today, I asked how it went and he was all giggly and said she (his teacher) said p*nis a lot, lol. The class was so giggly that she started out making them all say that word 3 times quick in a row to get the giggles out, lol!!! I sure would not want to do her job today!!

Hope everyone has a calm weekend!

Lisa O.

Blog Entries

((((((Lisa)))))) ~

Thank you for the laugh about the "birds and bees" class! And it is a funny word, as is the V word, especially when you're a kid. Isn't it odd too that as a society we have so many different words for those body parts? A thigh is a thigh, and a bicep is a bicep, but those parts are any number of things. I grew up thinking my V was a "woo woo." I mean, really?!

Slime bag lawyers ~ I'm sorry you got one. I've had a few too. They suck the life out of you, and come back for more. If I were you, I wouldn't pay him the $57. Let him stew. Let him send you bills every month. Let him go to town trying to milk 57 lousy dollars out of you, after all you've been through, knowing your family situation ... grrrrr ... Ignore him and his bills. I'm totally serious. He can't sue you for $57!!! He's just a jerk!!! You have every reason to be angry with this guy!

If he keeps pursuing you, then call him up and tell him that you could have deducted more than $57 from his bill for the work he did not do. Then tell him to back off and leave you alone, so that you can continue to mend your family and return to your normal lives.

That's great news that your dad is recovering so well from his surgery, and Thank You God that he didn't have cancer! This is my fear for Jim. And yes, he was grey. He looked like death warmed over, and I'm not exaggerating. He scared the you know what out of me.

Jim tends to reveal things gradually to me, so that I won't worry about him. I just found out 2 days ago, while working on the email for the doctor, that Jim suffered with leg pain for 2 weeks last June, when he had Shingles, as opposed to the 2-3 days he said last year that his legs hurt. He still hasn't revealed to me how many weeks he wasn't taking his vitamins. But, once he did tell me he hadn't been taking them, I knew why he was so ill. We take our vitamins together now. I dole them out, and I urge him to take them, before he finishes his tea, because that tends to happen to him. He drinks his tea, and forgets to take his vitamins.

He slept in Jon's recliner yesterday morning for about 5 hours, on and off, got up once to give Jon his flush at 8 a.m. The problem with that is that he doesn't eat. So, after it had been 12 hours without eating anything, I forced him to eat! He was watching a woodworking program on TV, and he said, "I'll be down after I finish watching this." And I pointed my finger at him, and said sternly, "You can watch that downstairs, while you are eating. Get up. You are going to eat NOW!" He has an appetite. He just doesn't get enthusiastic about eating, until I prepare it and force him to eat! Go figure!

After he ate, Jim said to me, "I'm never going to let myself get like this again." I had been nagging him, begging him for years to exercise, to eat more, to get a standard sleeping schedule, instead of dozing here and there all day, to take his vitamins ... etc. In one ear, out the other.

So, I reminded him, "You know, not taking care of yourself affects Jon and me. So you have to make that commitment for yourself and for us."

The life I've lived has made me an older woman, physically, than I am chronologically. Caring for Jim and Jon is affecting me in many ways. And I HAVE to keep fit and functioning to provide them with that care. That is why I walk 2 miles every morning. So that I can take care of my men.

The chickens have come home to roost, and now Jim is wishing that he had maintained that commitment over the years.

When we were your age, Lisa, Jim and I were very active, fit, and we became vegetarians. I lost my way a few times, as grief will do that to a person, but found my way back to living better and healthier. Jim, on the other hand, lost interest in his own health and well being, and wasn't able to regain that verve. I had to do it, because he couldn't.

That's why our dear friend visited in November when I hurt my knee. Because I was running the show, and Jim was failing in health.

The positive news is that Jim's color is very pink and healthy now, and he is eating. He's getting it. He knows he has to eat to gain weight. He knows he has to take his vitamins/supplements to be healthy. Progress is being made.

One last thing ~ just to be clear ~ taking care of Jim is a joy, the same joy as caring for Jon and Michael, because they are the loves of my life. I am not complaining. I am explaining. And I have told Jim every day that I will take care of him for the rest of our lives.

You know, we, you, me, all of us Moms, are more than Moms. We are wives. We are daughters. Daughters in law. Sisters. Granddaughters. Aunts. Nieces. Friends. We are problem solvers, organizers, coordinators, interventionists, managers, detectives, advocates, mediators, financial wizards ... etc. ... It's pretty incredible, when we stop to think about all of our roles and how we manage to accomplish them. At my age, many of those roles have concluded. That allows me to focus on Jim and Jon.

Sorry for the long-winded reply! Thank you again for your prayers!

Love & Light,

Rose

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast