Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (AAN abstract) Greater consumption of coffee associated with reduced odds of MS

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Just reading this makes me want some. I have it, I have the French Vanilla creamer......I have a coffee bean on my back!!!
    Roswell was a gift.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

I don't like coffee by itself, but found that when chocolate was added to it, it was delightful! My current local addiction is frozen mochas... one of the local espresso stands has 12 oz frozen mochas for 99 cents on Friday.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Don't forget to get ol' Howie one of those mochas next time.
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Doesn't chocolate have caffeine in it too?
    Double your pleasure, double your fun...lol
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I've always drunk coffee, from around the age of 18 when I left home. And for a lot of years, after 6 cups a day I was just getting started! :) I wonder if they found it was solely the coffee, or the caffeine, or some other element in the coffee? Interesting study.

I'm more inclined to believe some studies I read awhile ago (I'm sure some of you more computer literate folks can find them on line) that talk about growing up in a really "sterile" childhood, where you weren't subject to germs, viruses, etc., weakened the immune system, and that led to MS? My mother was a "clean freak"....had a regular and rigid routine for cleaning the house, nothing could interfere with it Made my brother wait until she was done vacuuming the living room before taking him to the hospital with a broken arm. Didn't come to either my high school or college graduations because they occurred on a day when she had major cleaning to do. If you had something to drink and set your glass down on the table, it would be washed and put away before you could reach for it again..that sort of thing.

While I was diagnosed in my early 30's, when we traced back my medical and health history, it seemed clear that some early symptoms occurred as early as in my late teens.As far as I have been able to track (I'm adopted, so it's not easy to locate all my biological family), there don't appear to be any other cases of MS in my family, and my brothers (my adoptive mother's biological children0, don't have MS either...yet we were all coffee drinkers, all raised in an ultra-clean environment..
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cat, it might be interesting to find out more about your biological family. Is it impossible?

Some years ago I tried to help a friend locate twins she had given birth to but put up for adoption when they were about 6 months old. Unfortunately the adoption records for the state of CA, where they were born, were sealed and we got nowhere. It would have been easier if those twins had been trying to find her but they must not have been.

Your mother sounds difficult to live with! Almost like someone with OCD.

The hygiene hypothesis is sometimes mentioned but lately it may have been put on a back burner. There's some discussion of it here, in a brief article in Neurology from 2006.

Sally, dark chocolate has quite a bit of caffeine in it but not nearly as much as a cup of coffee.

Jendie, a frozen mocha sounds really tasty.

Parsi, are you saying you went from being a 6-cups-a-day coffee drinker to no coffee? I can recall taking caffeine pills as a student, to stay awake, because I just couldn't drink much coffee.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Parsi, are you saying you went from being a 6-cups-a-day coffee drinker to no coffee? I can recall taking caffeine pills as a student, to stay awake, because I just couldn't drink much coffee.
    No, in college it was the other way around: From almost none to over 6 cups. Now however when I drink coffee my limit is one large mug. That I fully enjoy and it satisfies me. If more, I tend to get jittery. But I usually don't go out of my way to make coffee.

BTW I use to drive 5 hours each way on weekends a few years later. Caffeine did NOT help me stay alert.
    Last edited by Parsi; 05-09-2015 at 12:55 AM.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

I drink one large cup every morning and some Diet Coke for lunch. I don't think there's much in anything else I consume regularly.
    Last edited by Frog42; 05-09-2015 at 03:26 AM.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12