Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (AAN abstract) Greater consumption of coffee associated with reduced odds of MS

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default (AAN abstract) Greater consumption of coffee associated with reduced odds of MS

There was a post about coffee and MS a while back but I couldn't find it. Anyway, this paper was presented at the recent annual AAN [American Academy of Neurology] conference in Washington, DC:

[S45.004] Greater Consumption of Coffee is Associated with Reduced Odds of Multiple Sclerosis

Ellen Mowry,1Anna K. Hedstrom,2Milena A. Gianfrancesco,3Xiaorong Shao,3Catherine A. Schaefer,4Lisa Barcellos,3Tomas Olsson,5Lars Alfredsson2

1Baltimore, MD, USA, 2Stockholm, Sweden, 3Berkeley, CA, USA, 4Oakland, CA, USA, 5Solna, Sweden.

OBJECTIVE:

We sought to determine if coffee consumption is associated with MS risk.

BACKGROUND:

Previous studies on caffeine consumption and MS risk have been inconclusive. Caffeine intake has been associated with reduced odds of Parkinsonís and Alzheimerís diseases and thus may be neuroprotective.

DESIGN/METHODS:

Using two population-based case-control studies (a Swedish study of 1,629 incident cases and 2,807 controls, and a Kaiser Permanente Northern California (United States) study of 584 prevalent cases and 581 controls), the association of coffee consumption prior to disease onset with the odds of MS was evaluated in multivariate unconditional logistic regression models, adjusted for potential confounding factors, including (but not limited to) age, sex, smoking, body mass index, and sun exposure habits.

RESULTS:

In the Swedish cohort, coffee consumption was associated with reduced odds of MS compared to subjects who reported no coffee consumption. Consuming at least 6 cups of coffee daily during the index year was associated with an adjusted odds ratio (OR) for MS of 0.67 (95% CI 0.47-0.95). The corresponding ORs for those who reported high coffee consumption 5 or 10 years before the index year were 0.70 (95% CI 0.50-0.99) and 0.72 (95% CI 0.48-1.06). In the Kaiser Permanente Northern California study, among those who consumed 4 or more cups of coffee daily prior to the index year, the OR for MS was also 0.67 (95% CI 0.47-0.95).

CONCLUSIONS:

High coffee consumption is associated with reduced odds of MS. Caffeine has neuroprotective properties and seems to suppress the production of proinflammatory cytokines, which may be mechanisms that explain the observed association.

Swedish Medical Research Council; Swedish Research Council for Health, Working Life and Welfare; Knut and Alice Wallenberg, AFA, and Swedish Brain Foundations; Swedish Association for Persons with Neurological Disabilities; NIH/NINDS R01 NS049510; R01 NS0495103; NIH/NIAID R01 A1076544

______
    Category - Neuroepidemiology: MS and CNS Inflammatory Disease

Session: S45: Platform Session: Neuroepidemiology: Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebrovascular, and Aging (1:00 PM-2:45 PM)
    Date/Time: Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 1:45 pm

The abstract can be seen here.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

In the Swedish cohort, coffee consumption was associated with reduced odds of MS compared to subjects who reported no coffee consumption.
    No comfort to parents of pediatric cases of MS, I'm sure.

That's an awful lot of coffee too. There's a whole bunch of jittery people out there that apparently avoided MS.

Thanks as always, agate, for your great information!

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Aha! I didn't get MS until I quit drinking Coke (the real thing) and
    drank decaf coffee. If I had only known..LOL!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

That will teach you Sally!
    Roswell was a gift.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

That's a lot of coffee! I guess I got MS cuz I didn't drink enough coffee :)

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

I didn't like coffee until I started drinking espresso drinks when I was in my early 20s. I was dx with ms at 29 after more than 15 years of unexplained sx.... I guess it wasn't in the cards for me.

My kids drink coffee.... my oldest started young, in spite of the fact that people say it stunts growth. He's 6'5". LOL.... maybe my non-coffee drinking years were to blame for my shortness.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

My junior year at university I lived in an apartment with coffee drinkers. The coffee pot was on all day. I went from drinking a 1/2 cup at the beginning of the year to probably 6 cups a days at the end. Perhaps I should have kept up the habit???

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've hardly ever drunk coffee though I've tried. I like the taste of it but I get jittery after half a cup or so. Nowadays I avoid hot liquids--too easy to spill them.

My poison has always been diet coke. I drink a lot of it and when I don't have any around, I'm groggy and more irritable than usual and have a headache.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

I quit almost everything caffeinated in '91.
    And when I left a bad work environment job in '94
    I stopped buying coffee to be frugal.

With or without coffee I think MS was my inner time bomb.
    Kaboom! Enter Cycle II.

I am still waiting for regular good eating habits to kick in
    and I don't mean fine french dining…

;>)

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Oh my,

Being that I spent most of my life as a government employee (feeding at the public trough Lol) I drank LOTS of coffee! I always said that I could talk on the 2-way radio, smoke and shift gears at the same time. Until MS I drank coffee all day long. Now any caffeine after about 7 P.M. means that I am going to be awake till 3 A.M.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast