Thread: Anyone see Montel on Dr. Oz?

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Default Anyone see Montel on Dr. Oz?

Just wondering if anyone saw Montel talking about his MS on Dr. Oz yesterday? Dr. Doidge was on it too who has that new book on rewiring the brain..

Anyone see it or have comments on Montel's approach to helping his MS and pain? He's doing pretty well, by the look of it.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I did not see it BUT I went to YOuTube and searched for Montel Williams on DR.---that is as far as I typed when up popped many visits Montel has made to different shows to discuss his MS. You can see his evolution over the years from his passionate defense of whatever he is using.

I think over time I came to view him as vulnerable to selling products in infomercials and advocating MS cures that had no science behind them and which sometimes might prove to be useful for one's general health with or without MS. I think I saw him as a sincere salesman and not as an informed guide.

Dr. Oz himself has been criticized for over-hyping products as the 'be all and end all' product.

Maybe I sound harsh but Montel doesn't engender my trust....although I would listen to him.

What do you think?
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I like Montel. He's just trying to make a living...lol. I do wonder how
    he is still able to walk and play just fine W/MS. Apparently he's doing
    something right, if he's not progressing in disability. I'd like to know
    exactly what that is, but other than that, he is not one of my favorite
    entertainers.

Does anyone know what his regiment is for maintaining his MS?
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm afraid I have very little use for Dr. Oz and didn't see the show but looked up a brief section of it on YouTube. Montel seems to be doing very well, wouldn't you say?

If I got this right, he's 59 and was diagnosed with MS 15 years ago.

One video clip I watched--not sure of the date--showed him putting together a smoothie with pineapple, spinach and some other fruits and veggies, to start the day with. He thinks diet is very important.

I have the impression that he firmly believes in positive thinking as a way to get control of MS. There's probably a lot to be said for that idea, except that there are those for whom it hasn't worked.

A large part of Montel's success may be due to heredity and the luck of the draw, IMO.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I agree agate. I wish he had used his celebrity status to lobby for more research like Fox does for Parkinsons. And to educate about the horror of the disease rather than protecting his image as a super hero. But, I cannot be so critical as the man has to earn a living in the entertainment biz where image is everything and above substance.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Agate, yes, that's the part I watched.

I agree with all of the comments above. Since I don't believe what has kept him healthy is what he claims, ie, positive thinking and healthy eating, I too wonder what has kept him doing as well as he is, or whether it's just luck of the draw and his natural course. Maybe MJ?

I agree, I am suspicious of Dr, Oz after the questionable supplement promotions that got him dragged in front of a government hearing to explain himself.

I too wish Montel was more like MJF is for Parkinsons in raising money and furthering research, but I too believe he's at least sincere, although somewhat misguided and lacking scientific backing in his changing recommendations.

I'm glad he's doing well, although we do know he suffers terrible pain. But physically, he's in good form, and I'm happy for him. I'm not sure if the MS holds him back in his career aspirations at all, or if he needs to expand his areas of expertise so that he doesn't have to rely on promoting health agents like coconut water, blenders, etc. I'd rather see him tie his career to something unrelated to how his health is doing. It would be better for him too, in the event that his health deteriorates. I think he said that the last time he was on Dr. Oz promoting something, he had trouble walking. Of course he didn't say that at the time and instead pretended to be in great health from whatever he was promoting at the time.

He loses credibility if he keeps doing that. And it would be easier just being authentic about how his health really is than tying his income to putting on a false front of good health.

But I agree with everyone.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"