Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olfactory hallucination

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Default Olfactory hallucination

A very strong odor of coffee woke me up at 3:00 a.m. It went away in less than an hour.

Had anything similar?

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Well, that's interesting. I am sure there are several jokes that are occurring to readers of your post.
    "No honey...I didn't ____you are having an olfactory hallucination!"....ok, enough of the crude jokes!

I wonder what part of your brain did that...if it is a new sensation does it mean a new lesion in that spot? You are lucky it was the wonderful smell of coffee. There are all sorts of things to imagine. I like that sweet smell of trees blossoming that I will soon smell on my farm.

It did not seem to bother you but I would be interested to see if it happens more.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I smell coffee right now, I've just finished brewing it!

I do on occasion smell smoke, like wood burning. It's very faint, and doesn't last long, but I always walk through the place just to ease my mind.
    Roswell was a gift.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I called the fire dept once because I saw smoke around the foundation of my house.
    It was just the steam billowing up from the suns heat on the moisture. Duhhhhhh!!!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

5. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

electrical burning, smoke, cookies baking, rain when there was none, bacon . . . those are a few that come to mind that I've had. Hubby says I have a hyper sensitive nose anyhow . . . I say he can't smell! Yes, a smell has wakened me in the middle of the night too, but that only happened once. It's not something that happens frequently though.

Distinguished Community Member

Electrical fire, soap (which comes w the taste sometimes), and natural gas. I look for the cause and fine none. I eat or drink to get rid of the soap taste/smell. It never works.

ANn
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Electrical fire, soap (which comes w the taste sometimes), and natural gas. I look for the cause and fine none. I eat or drink to get rid of the soap taste/smell. It never works.

ANn
    Well, I don't really have a problem smelling things that are not real but I'll eat and drink in sympathy with you.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Soap and chocolate . . . reminds me of when I was a kid, we had a wealthy neighbor that owned a chocolate shop. One Halloween they gave out chunks of white chocolate in sandwich bags. I was only 9 or so and had never had white chocolate before, let alone chocolate from specialty store in big thick chunks like that! I thought I they were giving out pieces of broken bars of soap!
    I'm enlightened now! Those were the days! mmmmmm!

Please pass the chocolate, Ann!

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

I am glad I am not the only person with this type of symptom! Let's see if it happens again...

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought I they were giving out pieces of broken bars of soap!
    I recently bought some chocolate soap on Amazon. I can't wait to try it!

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast