Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Easter!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thank you for your advice and suggestions. I simply don't have the time to devote to burning DVDs and dealing with technology. I am an old woman, who grew up with a tiny black and white TV, and a rotary dial phone with a long curly cord.

I've had it up to here with technology right now. I printed out the tax forms to fill in for submittal, and the state forms kept coming out with the letter "M" where boxes should be. I wasted a lot of paper and ink trying to remedy that issue. I finally quit out of the browser, and when I returned, I was able to print out the form with boxes. This happened 4 more times. But I finally finished the (insert bad word here) taxes! And I just do not want to deal with technology again for a long long long time.

My friend has the same exact computer that we have, and she is able to watch any and all DVDs on her computer. But she sent us a special external drive, so that we don't have to deal with it any more. She knows that I'm on the edge! She thinks the drive may have failed, or that it's dirty. I don't know. Cannot think about it any longer ... brain fried by taxes and printer failures and ...

I remember when we went about our daily lives without having a phone in our palm constantly, texting, calling, on the net, just can't put it down. I remember when you needed to call someone, it had to be important, because you had to find a pay phone and have exact change/coins. And when we actually hand wrote letters and cards to each other. Simpler times. I miss them.

Oh, yes, I wanted to scan the agreement to the tree trimmer today. Nope. Printer said something about loss of computer connection. Jim read it four times. By the fourth time, I was addressing the envelope to mail the copy to the tree trimmer by snail mail. Postal service! What a concept!

But thank you so much for trying to solve our problems. I am just done with technology right now. And we do have TVs with DVD players, so it's not like Jim can't watch his movies at all. And even if he couldn't watch them, that's the least of our worries.

Love & Light,

Rose
    I need a
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member

Rose I feel your frustration! I'm pretty helpless when anything goes wrong. I feel very fortunate to have a couple of computer geeks living under my roof. I don't know how they know what they know but it's a life saver for me and several of our neighbors LOL. I had to chuckle when you mentioned the phone with the curly cord, I was happy when they came out with the really long cord that gave you a new freedom on the phone. And remember when you had to get up out of your chair to change the channel (one of the 3 or 4 channels). We have a box of VHS tapes to get rid of. I remember searching for a blank one to record a show for the kids. Now Kathleen is DVR'ing all kinds of shows constantly filling it up LOL and unfortunately she knows how to erase(our shows of course) to make room for her shows. OMG and pay phones... I point them out to my kids when we're watching an old movie. I remember when my father in-law got a "mobile phone" because he traveled. It was huge! And yes I remember getting things other than junk in the mail. Actual letters. I have a couple people who send actual mail to Kathleen and she loves it. Nothing like seeing your name on an envelope! I'm hoping that the technology angel waves her wand over your home and gets everything running smooth. Good luck.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

Yes, I was so excited with the longer phone cord, because it allowed me to cook and run after my crawling boys! And then, we got push button phones! What a breakthrough, eh?

Jon used to sit right in front of the TV and change the channels, because there wasn't a remote. He loved it, because he was in control. We have so many boxes of VHS tapes in the garage, it's just silly. Gradually, we are replacing all of Jon's VHS tapes with DVDs, because they take up less space, and we are quickly running out of space for Jon's videos. But he does have some VHS tapes which have never been transferred to DVD/BluRay, so he still has a DVD/VHS player.

Oh, yes, I do remember when Mobile Phones were introduced. And they were huge, like so cartoonishly huge! Just watch any movie made during that time period, and the mobile phone will make you laugh out loud.

Do you remember party lines on the telephone? Pick up the phone to make a call, and you hear someone else talking on the phone? And you never knew whether someone on the party line was listening to your conversations. Man, I feel old.

A & W root beer floats. Diners. Drive in movies. Drive in restaurants with waitresses on skates. Drive in dairies.

Nostalgia ...

You are very fortunate to have geeks in your family. I actually suggested to Jim during our techno crises that we knock on the doors of our neighbors to find some teens to help us.

Kathleen has it figured out. My stuff in, your stuff out! This techno stuff is their thing, so they are wise about it. We're still stuck on memories of rotary phones with curly cords, and remembering 8 track tapes.

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Our new external DVD player arrived today, and your information about regions was quite helpful, as we finally figured out how to make it work! Thank you so much! Now we're ready to watch DVDs on our computer.

OUR UPDATE:

Jon's nurse visited today to change Jon's catheter and trache. All went well. As usual, Jon was a trooper, and nothing seemed to faze him. His vitals are remarkable. He's pretty awesome.

The taxes are en route to the government(s). The house is clean. And I'm on my way to here ...

with a couple of these in my hands

Please join me ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

Yes, I was so excited with the longer phone cord, because it allowed me to cook and run after my crawling boys! And then, we got push button phones! What a breakthrough, eh?

Jon used to sit right in front of the TV and change the channels, because there wasn't a remote. He loved it, because he was in control. We have so many boxes of VHS tapes in the garage, it's just silly. Gradually, we are replacing all of Jon's VHS tapes with DVDs, because they take up less space, and we are quickly running out of space for Jon's videos. But he does have some VHS tapes which have never been transferred to DVD/BluRay, so he still has a DVD/VHS player.

Oh, yes, I do remember when Mobile Phones were introduced. And they were huge, like so cartoonishly huge! Just watch any movie made during that time period, and the mobile phone will make you laugh out loud.

Do you remember party lines on the telephone? Pick up the phone to make a call, and you hear someone else talking on the phone? And you never knew whether someone on the party line was listening to your conversations. Man, I feel old.

A & W root beer floats. Diners. Drive in movies. Drive in restaurants with waitresses on skates. Drive in dairies.

Nostalgia ...

You are very fortunate to have geeks in your family. I actually suggested to Jim during our techno crises that we knock on the doors of our neighbors to find some teens to help us.

Kathleen has it figured out. My stuff in, your stuff out! This techno stuff is their thing, so they are wise about it. We're still stuck on memories of rotary phones with curly cords, and remembering 8 track tapes.

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Our new external DVD player arrived today, and your information about regions was quite helpful, as we finally figured out how to make it work! Thank you so much! Now we're ready to watch DVDs on our computer.

OUR UPDATE:

Jon's nurse visited today to change Jon's catheter and trache. All went well. As usual, Jon was a trooper, and nothing seemed to faze him. His vitals are remarkable. He's pretty awesome.

The taxes are en route to the government(s). The house is clean. And I'm on my way to here ...

with a couple of these in my hands

Please join me ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    YAY! SO Glad I could help Rose! I have never used an external DVD drive before. I remember VHS. I grew up on those. When I had my surgeries as a kid VHS made me so happy. I was shocked at how small DVDs seemed when they first appeared. VHS always seemed sturdier to me than DVD and I like it more. I would hold on to the VHS/DVD combo player if I were you just in case. I saw those big mobile phones in movies. They looked as big as filling cabinets. DVR is something I never cared to figure out. Printers are a pain in the butt for me too. I always run out of ink too fast. Glad the taxes are done.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Jon likes to hold the VHS tape sleeve or the DVD plastic container, while he watches whatever it is. But he is partial to the VHS tape sleeves, even when he has a DVD equivalent of the movie/concert. We had our VHS home movies copied onto DVDs to preserve them, but Jon still wants to watch the VHS version!

Our hospital has an antiquated VHS player and small TV, which is brought in on a cart for the patient. It's a huge hospital, and I think they have one VHS player. That's why we bought Jon the portable DVD player, which is compact, and can sit on the hospital bedside table over his bed to make viewing easy for him. I train the aides, nurses and PTs on how to use it, so when Jim and I are in transition or at a meal, they can help Jon with his entertainment. They are all more than happy to do this for Jon, because he is well loved by all of them.

Those early mobile phones were hilarious. Notice how the actors/characters are all "cool" while using them too! It was the latest thing. Now Mac has watches ... I mean ... enough already!

We have the simplest, most basic cell phone, which we only have so that when one of us is away from the home, we can have contact. If one of us is out, and an emergency occurs with Jon, or we have an earthquake, or the one who is out has an accident, etc., then we have a cell phone for that need. Or, when Jon's in the hospital, then we have contact via the cell phone, when we are on our hospital shifts with Jon.

From my perspective in the generation, which welcomed TV into the world, we are on technology overload now. Thanks to texting, no one can spell anymore. Thanks to Facebook, no one uses paragraphs anymore. And for some reason, the apostrophe (') became the substitute for quote marks (") ~ I don't know when or why that happened, but it annoys me. I'm a former English teacher and journalist. The deterioration of our language saddens me.

Printers and copiers have always been a problem for me. In the 1970s, we used ditto machines. The smell was atrocious. I can't remember the name of the machine I used to make copies with a wax sheet onto which I had typed the copy. I had to hand crank the wax through the machine to print. I swear! This is a true story!!! Just remembered: Mimeograph!

Oh dear ... I'm waxing on again ...

Thank you again for all of your advice and guidance, which definitely came in handy. Jim watched the Hobbit last night, and he was able to enjoy the full effect of the production, so it was all worth it.

Waiting for your big announcement ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hello!

Just finished catching up on what I missed here while I've been away. :) Silly me, I thought after Easter that my schedule would lighten up. Ha ha! Right now I am waiting for Tyler's dog training video to upload to his google classroom account. He has to do a presentation to his class tomorrow. I sure hope I can make it (parents are invited). Caitlin was sick all weekend. Just something viral is my guess, but of course, the seizures are back when the threshold is lowered. I gave her a dose of diastat before I put her to bed. It seemed to help a little.

Anyway, to back up a bit, her botox appointment went great! She got it into her psoas muscles and I think it is helping a little bit already. I wasn't too worried about this appointment though, we've done botox enough in the past. I have been stressed out about her upcoming fusion surgery though. They have added more appointments for that to my calendar. Of course, they do not ask first, just call and say, "We scheduled Caitlin for such and such on this day." This makes me crabby when this happens! I also received an invitation to a pre-surgical spinal fusion clinic/gathering to discuss and ask questions about the upcoming surgery. Sounds great, but I fear it will be a lot of people asking stuff like, "What kind of food does the hospital have?" or "Do parents get to stay in the room with the child?". The other bad thing is it is in the middle of the week, in the evening from 6:15 to 8:30pm....in Milwaukee. It is hard for me to do things at night, that is when I need to be home to help with homework, make supper, gets kids to bed, etc. I did end up committing to it though (we had to RSVP in advance). And thankfully, I have stopped grinding my teeth/jaw in the night. That must have been what I was stressed about! All else had been good with Caitlin up until this weekend with her virus.

I did have some fun though, Friday afternoon, I went on a bus trip with Brandon to Madison to see the UW Varsity Band's Spring Concert. It was organized by the Middle School band teachers. They had 4 coach busses (not school busses, the nice ones!) full of people. We stopped when we got there for all you could eat pizza buffet at Rocky Rococo's. All this (bus, supper, concert ticket) was included in one price....only $50 per person! And the concert was just spectacular!! I told Brian I would have paid $100 and still felt like I got my money's worth! The concert was 3 hours long, just awesome! The theme was "There's No Place Like Home" and they played a medley of songs from the Wizard of Oz in the first half and a medley of songs from Wicked in the 2nd half, along with a ton of other music! I sure hope it inspires Brandon to stick with playing an instrument. I told him I really regret not trying out for the UW-Band when I went to school there. We had great seats, we were right underneath where the streamers came down at the end and where Michael Leckrone was flying around in the air. I can't believe all the energy that man has! They are playing this concert on Wisconsin Public Television on May 2, not sure if y'all get that channel, but if you can check it out, it is worth the time! http://wptschedule.org/episodes/4577...ace-Like-Home/

It seems with all the good, comes the bad. Hoping Caitlin is better tomorrow, but I think she will be home resting still. I also had one kid home with diarrhea last week and then Logy hurt his neck at recess on Wednesday and I had to take him to the doctor on Thursday to have that checked out (just a minor muscle sprain). I think her surgery (July 31) is going to come along really fast the way my spring is going. Here are some pics of Brandon & I, I did take a few quick videos too so I can watch those when I am stuck home and remember the fun!
    0417151912.jpg0417152215.jpgIMG_0020a.jpg

Lisa O.

PS, oh yeah, Brandon also got his braces off! I have just had TONS of appointments recently! Tyler went to the orthodontist also and he will be starting this summer with a palate expander (like Brandon had).
    Last edited by andromeda31; 04-19-2015 at 07:49 PM.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Hi again!

I did find a video on youtube that had highlights from the concert....just to give you an idea how wild and crazy it was! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj5q3_EHGRM

Brandon was excited to hear Defying Gravity (from Wicked) since he said that the 6th grade band is playing that for their spring concert. :)

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Jon likes to hold the VHS tape sleeve or the DVD plastic container, while he watches whatever it is. But he is partial to the VHS tape sleeves, even when he has a DVD equivalent of the movie/concert. We had our VHS home movies copied onto DVDs to preserve them, but Jon still wants to watch the VHS version!

Our hospital has an antiquated VHS player and small TV, which is brought in on a cart for the patient. It's a huge hospital, and I think they have one VHS player. That's why we bought Jon the portable DVD player, which is compact, and can sit on the hospital bedside table over his bed to make viewing easy for him. I train the aides, nurses and PTs on how to use it, so when Jim and I are in transition or at a meal, they can help Jon with his entertainment. They are all more than happy to do this for Jon, because he is well loved by all of them.

Those early mobile phones were hilarious. Notice how the actors/characters are all "cool" while using them too! It was the latest thing. Now Mac has watches ... I mean ... enough already!

We have the simplest, most basic cell phone, which we only have so that when one of us is away from the home, we can have contact. If one of us is out, and an emergency occurs with Jon, or we have an earthquake, or the one who is out has an accident, etc., then we have a cell phone for that need. Or, when Jon's in the hospital, then we have contact via the cell phone, when we are on our hospital shifts with Jon.

From my perspective in the generation, which welcomed TV into the world, we are on technology overload now. Thanks to texting, no one can spell anymore. Thanks to Facebook, no one uses paragraphs anymore. And for some reason, the apostrophe (') became the substitute for quote marks (") ~ I don't know when or why that happened, but it annoys me. I'm a former English teacher and journalist. The deterioration of our language saddens me.

Printers and copiers have always been a problem for me. In the 1970s, we used ditto machines. The smell was atrocious. I can't remember the name of the machine I used to make copies with a wax sheet onto which I had typed the copy. I had to hand crank the wax through the machine to print. I swear! This is a true story!!! Just remembered: Mimeograph!

Oh dear ... I'm waxing on again ...

Thank you again for all of your advice and guidance, which definitely came in handy. Jim watched the Hobbit last night, and he was able to enjoy the full effect of the production, so it was all worth it.

Waiting for your big announcement ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    You're welcome! What the heck is a "ditto" machine? I know. My classmates couldn't even write in MLA essay format anymore because they text so much. Here's my big announcement, my films are being screened publicly! (Please note that while the press release mentions donations I am not receiving the donations and I am not asking for donations from anybody on this forum)
    For Immediate Release:
    Teatro Paraquas in collaboration with Crips Video Productions, is presenting a screening of three short films on May 16th*at 6:00pm at the Teatro Paraquas studio located at 3205 Calle Marie, Ste B in Santa Fe.
    Crips Video Productions make short independent films that increase understanding of disability through engaging characters and storytelling. The films are created by people with disabilities and are written, directed and produced by Margot Cole, (a former student of The Childrens Theatre and currently a student at Kingsborough College in New York).
    The films being shown are:*Only Those Who Limp Allowed,*Crips Not Creeps, and*Drama Sighted.*There will be a q&a following the screening with the producer/director. Admission is by free will donation.
    For more info: Teatro Paraquas http://www.teatroparaguas.org**505.4...roductions.com
    Margot Cole*cripvideoproductions@yahoo.com

http://cripvideoproductions.tumblr.c...-press-release

Lisa, glad the botox went well and you feel less stress. :)
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Congratulations funnylegs4! That is exciting news!

Well, I was feeling less stress until Monday....I ended up taking Caitlin to the ER for seizures out of control. I did have an appointment with a regular doctor for her pinkeye, but with the way her eyes were rolling up, I brought her to the ER instead that day. They gave Ativan which did help her improve a little bit but the eyes still were going up. They did a LOT of tests to rule everything out. They all came back ok, so we were sent to Milwaukee for better monitoring of the seizures. Caitlin went by ambulance, I drove down in my van. I actually beat her down there which surprised me since I stopped at home first to pack a bag for both of us. They hooked her up last night to the VEEG and we finally got to bed at 1:30am. We slept in until 6:30am. I was surprised they didn't wake her up sooner, but relieved they did not do that. Shortly after that the residents came in and checked her over. Everyone was nice and we all agreed that she had the pink eye and some kind of viral illness making her seizures worse. She did do some of the eye rolling/floating stuff when a neuro was in the room so she had us push the button and the doctor went and checked the monitors. The eye floating is actually not showing up as seizures. I guess that is good. I still wonder if I am supposed to worry if she does that in the future though. Anyway, they did not adjust any meds since she did finally stop having weird eye movements. She was talking a lot more today and her appetite came back too. We were discharged this afternoon and got home in the early evening. I am glad to get to sleep in my own bed tonight! One fun thing was, they picked Caitlin to get her picture taken for their social media account. They were celebrating neurotechnicians this week. She was funny though (which confirmed she was feeling better when the sassiness comes back)...she said to them, "Just hurry up and take it so I can play!". She was sitting in her wheelchair and playing her kindle.
    20150421c.jpg

Hope everyone is having a better week than I am! :)

I need some laundry fairies to come and magic my laundry pile into clean, put-away clothes!

Lisa O.
    Last edited by andromeda31; 04-21-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Blog Entries

(((((((Lisa & Caitlin)))))) ~

I'm so sorry that you landed in the ER and that Caitlin was admitted, but I am very happy that Caitlin is feeling better, and you are home. So much to go through with the ER, the ambulance, the drive to Milwaukee, admittance, testing.

Michael used to get conjunctivitis often, especially when his seizures were more prevalent. So, perhaps there is a connection. How are you treating Caitlin's pink eye?

Despite all that she's been through, Caitlin looks adorable. She is a fantastic choice for the hospital social media outreach.

Loved the photos of you and Brandon too.

Hope things settle down a bit now, and that Caitlin heals quickly. Sending prayers ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast