Thread: In which I realise the magnitude of the week that's been

Default In which I realise the magnitude of the week that's been

Hi everyone

Those who have me on Facebook will know what this is about but I just wanted to share with those who don't.

On Thursday, I found out I achieved my law degree with FIRST CLASS HONOURS!!!

To break this down, this means I have achieved at least an 80% average over the course of my degree and an 80% average in my two dissertations (one last year, one this year). I achieved an A grade in this year's paper which I am very, very proud of considering I essentially wrote it in three weeks (don't tell my supervisor lol). The topic I wrote on is very personal to me; it essentially used the earthquake rebuild of my city as a case study within an international human rights law context and so I am very happy I have received such a good grade for it.

Actually, I am just processing this right now... Writing this out, it is really sinking in!!! I can't believe I have actually got to this point! Five years of law school, my parents moving overseas, juggling living independently and all the extra curricular stuff and I have somehow managed to do it!! I NEVER thought I would do Honours when I entered law school. I knew you had to get very good grades to even be offered. I was never expecting to... and then the letter came in the mail back at the end of 2012... and I thought, "hey, why not"... and I just kind of chipped away at things, never expecting to get first class, but believing I could... and now I have actually done it and am in the top 5 or so percent of my 200-strong class!!!! WOW... I need some more time to reflect on this lol...

The timing of me finding out was not too great. I am currently in the middle of my legal professionals course (equivalent of studying towards the bar exam) and this past week has been very assessment-intensive. I was avoiding my emails on Thursday because I knew results were due to be out and I also had a client interviewing assessment that day which I was very, very stressed about. About 30 mins before my assessment, I was going over my notes and I saw an email pop up on my gmail and I glanced and saw it was from the law school admin, and my stomach dropped. I didn't realise they were going to send an email to my personal account as well as my student account. I didn't want to read it but a preview popped up and I saw the words "First Class".... and I justw wanted to YELL with joy! But I couldn't because I was surrounded by 10 or so very stressed fellow trainees... and I was so happy, but still so nervous about my assessment, and then I couldn't focus on my notes anymore and I'm pretty sure I messed up the first part but we'll see...

Actually, my week has been such a rollercoaster of emotions.... I think I mentioned here before that the premises where this course is has no wheelchair access. Most of the course is online but two two week blocks are on-site and we've just had one week. They use the fact that their building was destroyed by the earthquake as justification which I understand but it was 4 years ago now.... So I've had to spend the whole week getting my classmates to help me up and down steps, relying on cabs, avoiding using the bathroom because it is not accessible either, and just feeling absolutely dependent on others and disempowered. By the end of yesterday, I was absolutely exhausted at the physical and emotional toll this has had on me, along with the intensity of the assessments... and I am still trying to email back and forth to the administrators of the course in another city trying to convey how unacceptable this situation is, but I may need to take some action afterwards... Human Rights Commission or something.

ANYWAY, this is a complete jumble of things in my head at the moment... let's all have some of those smoothies Rose posts!!!
    Last edited by CPchick; 03-14-2015 at 04:43 AM.
    Enjoying the excitements of life. Looking forward to what's to come! What a ride!

Congratulations!!

Marcie

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hi dear Erin!
    I was just about post here with an intro something like "It's about time I caught up here with all my best old pals!" when I saw your post. Yes, I saw your First Class Honours on Facebook and you know I congratulated you, but I didn't know how stressful everything has been recently. Wow, it's so crappy that you had to put up with all the physical inconveniences (way to mild a word) and it's fantastic that you have succeeded so amazingly successfully against all those odds. Well done, Erin, I am proud to know you. I've said it before, but I'll say it again, ERIN FOR PRIME MINISTER!!!!
    xoxo
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool

CONGRATULATIONS ERIN!!

((((((Erin))))))) ~

Your determination and perseverance, regardless of the obstacles in your path, ensured this sweet success! At the TOP of your class! I never doubted for a moment that you would reach that peak.

I'm so sorry that your needs are not being accommodated right now, during this very stressful time in your legal professionals course. It does sound as though you will need to take action about this, because it is entirely unacceptable. Bless your classmates for assisting you, but in reality, they shouldn't have to do that, as the facility should be accessible. And if the excuse is earthquake damage, then the course should be moved to another, accessible location, until the one you're currently using is repaired/retrofitted.

Everything happens for a reason. Perhaps the reason for this is to embolden you to fight to rectify inequality for persons with disabilities. You can combine your personal experience with your legal eagle wisdom and create change!

You will shine through your legal professionals course, as you have throughout law school. And then, you will have a fabulous career, and, like Donna said, you will be the Prime Minister!

Congratulations, Erin!

Smoothies All Around!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Congratulations! I know first hand (living through it with my daughter)what an accomplishment this is and how much hard work and discipline it takes to get to this point. I remember too how much work the study course was but well worth it all. It's an amazing accomplishment that no one can ever take from you. Keep up the good work! So sorry your needs aren't being met it's hard to believe even today this can happen.
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

Congratulations!!!! Does this site have a disability office or disability department that you can speak to about this? It took me awhile to learn how to deal with campus disability departments at first and had a ton of issues with accessibility until I found the right people to talk to.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Congratulations Erin!! I can still remember when you were in high school (now I feel old!). So proud of you for working so hard and wow, Honors too, that is awesome! I hope you get to take a trip or do something fun after all this hard work!! I am hoping the second week of your class block goes better. Is there a break in between those 2 week blocks? It is too bad they could not have moved the class to a place you could access better. That is crappy that they put it on you to figure out a way to get there. (((hugs)))

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Hi again everyone

Thank you for your well-wishes! Graduation is now just 3 weeks away. My parents are coming over. Very much looking forward to it! First time they will have been back to my city in 3 years.

More good news! There is a govt employment fund here designed to encourage employers to employ more disabled people. They are specifically focused on young recent graduates at the moment. The legal centre I work at applied for job funding for me and I received confirmation earlier this week that it has been approved! This means I will have a FULL-TIME job from the beginning of June, in the legal field! Very pleased. :)
    Enjoying the excitements of life. Looking forward to what's to come! What a ride!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Congratulations erin!

CONGRATULATIONS ERIN!!

What fantastic news! So proud of you! So proud to call you Sister Friend!

I'm sure your parents will be beaming as they watch you graduate. I'm so happy for you that they will be there to share your triumphant moment!

Looking forward to hearing all about your graduation and your new position.

Look out world ~ Here Comes Erin!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.