Thread: Blood pressure ?

Distinguished Community Member

Default Blood pressure ?

Kathleen's blood pressure on Friday was 93/64. Her usual is usually more than 110/80ish. Does this seem too low? Could this low cause symptoms and what? Because of her moyamoya her blood pressure shoudl be on the high side (o push the blood flow through the newer tiny blood vessels from her surgery) but not too high. I've never seen it go this low but I don't take her pressure on any regular basis. She did seem a little "off". Thinking I may need a pressure machine. Anyone have any luck with any particluar brand? Also did insurance pay for it?
    Mary Grace

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

While that is a low reading for Kathleenís typical BP, it is still within normal range.

Through the years, the doctors at our hospital have changed their view of the values of BP readings. One year, the Systolic (upper) was most important; the next year, the Diastolic (lower) was most important; the next year, they were focusing on the mean between the two as the most important.

Jon has low blood pressure (likely from seizure meds and inactivity), usually in the range of Kathleenís latest reading. The docs were fine with his BP, unless the Systolic dropped below 90. Then he was given a water bolus of 500 cc, and if that didnít work he was given Levophed via his IV.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...64_Article.jsp

Blood Pressure monitors are available in a variety of places, like pharmacies/drug stores and Costco. Prices range from $40-$70, generally. Weíve had an Omron BP monitor, which works very well, for many years.

http://omronhealthcare.com/blood-pressure/upper-arm/

I recommend the upper arm monitor over the wrist monitor. Wrist monitors are not as accurate, in my experience.

You might want to schedule certain times of the day to take Kathleenís BP, like, first thing in the morning, mid day, late afternoon, bedtime, then keep a chart of her readings. Our BP monitor maintains a history of readings, which is also helpful.

Hope that Kathleen maintains a stable BP.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Tylers is frequently that low. Unless she is symtomatic I wouldn't worry about it. Blood pressure changes minute by minute. Try checking the pressure in both arms. There should be no more than 10 points difference between the two. My blood pressure has dropped to 79/53 before. Scared me to death, but I was fine. It finally went back up.
    grandmother of Tyler (22): Ohtahara Syndrome/SCN2a gene mutation, cortically visually impaired, quadriplegic, severely developmentally delayed, no speech, severe intractable seizures, frontal and temporal lobe atrophy, progressive scoliosis/kyphosis, chronic kidney stones & UTI's, gastroparesis, 100% tube fed, autonomic dysreflexia, but what a precious gift from God. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

Tamie is so right about BP fluctuating. Also, sometimes readings can be inaccurate for assorted reasons, like the person's arm moves while BP is being taken, or the cuff isn't properly fitted. In addition to taking a reading in both arms, you might try waiting 10 minutes or so, and take the BP again to see if the reading is different.

To clarify about Jon's BP ~ he was extremely ill, and maintaining a normal blood pressure was a challenge given his infection(s) and all of the meds being given to him. Water boluses and Levophed were only given when his Systolic dropped well below 80, like mid-70s. When it dropped below 90, they just kept a closer eye on his BP to make sure it didn't keep dropping.

So consistency is key. That's why I suggested that you take Kathleen's BP at scheduled times every day and keep a chart. This will give you a baseline for her normal or typical BP. If she's stressed or ill, take her BP then to determine changes from her norm.

((((((Tamie)))))) ~ That is a scary BP, and I'm glad you were fine despite that reading. I had septecemia, when I was 25, and my BP in the ER was 68/0. They kept taking it to make sure it was correct. I passed out, so I don't know what they did to bring it up.

How is Tyler? Any change in seizures and UTI issues?

Prayers going up for all of you ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Hi Mary Grace, My blood pressure is low and sometimes it's positional (lower lying down and I get real drops when I stand up from lying), lowers if I'm dehydrated and also if I've just eaten a big meal (the doctor said that my blood going to my stomach to digest my meal LOL). As others have said, I wouldn't worry unless Kathleen is symptomatic. Like my GP said, "Nobody ever died of low blood pressure". Sending a hug your way! Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Blog Entries

((((((Donna)))))) ~

Ah, yes! Position! I forgot to mention that!

In 2005, when Jon had his colostomy surgery, I went to lunch, and when I came back a crowd was gathered outside of and in Jon's room. I panicked (of course). What had happened: Physical Therapy visited, got Jon out of bed, and his BP dropped to the low 80s. Jon's intensivist was in the room, so I immediately became hysterical! He explained about the BP drop, and that once Jon was repositioned in his bed, his BP came back up to his normal.

I understand what your GP means, of course, but people can and do die from extremely low BP. I nearly did, and so did Jon more than a few times. But that is the extreme and due to an underlying severe illness/infection.

Other factors associated with BP include age. Both Jim and I have traditionally had lower than normal (120/80) BP readings. But as we age, those numbers tend to creep up a bit.

All this blood pressure talk is convincing me to go back on Kyolic garlic capsules. Think I'll start that tomorrow ...

Hope that all is well with you, Jim, Nick, Natalie, your mum and family ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not too worried but it did alert me to the possiblity that her blood pressure can fluctuate and for her it can mean a real slowing of blood flow because of the moyamoya. I will need a machine for pediatric. I'll also pay closer attention to her hydration.One of her strokes was during her sleep her neurologist said most likely because of he crop in her blood pressure while she was sleeping.
    Rose, what are Kyolic garlic capsules?
    Mary Grace

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

This is the blood pressure monitor I ordered for Brian: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Wrist-Bl...s=omron+bp+629 It works great for us! It even fit around my little wrists. We just ordered it on ebay if I remember, it didn't cost a lot so didn't bother going for reimbursement. In the link I put, someone asks if it will fit small wrists and someone measured the cuff size and said it goes down small enough to fit around a 5" wrist (circumference). I like how it stores the readings for awhile so you can compare them. It really was helpful for him to be able to check it at home. Hope you can find a machine that works good for her!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace))))))) ~

Kyolic is a product name for an aged garlic extract.

http://www.kyolic.com/

Garlic has cardiovascular health benefits. I took them daily for a year, when I was overweight, and my BP was dangerously high. Along with diet and exercise, I lost 40 lbs, and regained a normal BP.

Omron makes good products, so their wrist BP monitor is probably a good one, as Lisa has experienced. You could contact Omron via their web site and ask which of their BP monitors are suitable for pediatric patients.

Have you had your smoothie yet today?

Here ya go ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Blog Entries

Blood pressure being too low depends on the person but good that you are keeping an eye on it.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php