Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a nerve conduction test painful?

New Community Member

Default Is a nerve conduction test painful?

I have had pain in my arm for 9 months due to spinal stenosis from a disc fusion done in 1991. An EMG or nerve conduction test is advised. Is this a painful test on nerves that are already very sore?

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Traveler)))))) ~

Welcome to BrainTalk!

I have no experience with nerve conduction tests, but I did find this:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/elect...article_em.htm

You might be able to learn more about this test on You Tube. Try a search there for videos about the test.

Meanwhile, make yourself comfortable here, and get to know our wonderful community of caring folks. And be sure to let us know your test experience and what the results are.

Hoping all goes well for you, and you find relief from your pain.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

4. The following user says "thanks"

New Community Member

Thank you for the warm welcome. Has anyone had the disc surgery which later caused pain down the arm because of stenosis and what did they do for it ? I would rather not have surgery. I also have Parkinson's with the side effect of altered posture over time (forward bending) which may have altered alignment in the neck. (Just guessing.) I am 71.

6. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Traveler)))))) ~

I recommend that you post in our Spinal Disorders and Chronic Pain Forums, where you are most likely to find others with similar experiences to yours.

Spinal Disorders:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...inal-Disorders

Chronic Pain:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...9-Chronic-Pain

We also have a Parkinson's forum, but I don't think that it is very active these days.

I think your guess about alignment is a reasonable one.

Have you considered non-traditional options, such as a chiropractor, acupuncturist, or naturopath?

I hope that you don't need to have surgery.

Please try posting on the Spinal and Chronic Pain forums to see if others there can help you.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

8. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Traveler, are you referring to a SSEP test? (Sensory Evoked Potential). It's done with electrodes on your head and sensory pads on your legs and arms. She has an instability in her neck and this was to check he electrical pathways from her cspine to her limbs. It wasn't painful but a bit uncomfortable. Kind of like a little electrical stimulation I think.
    Mary Grace

10. The following user says "thanks"

New Community Member

I had the EMG (electromyography) test done on Wed. It is a nerve conduction test. It was somewhat painful, but tolerable. The tech did the first part where he gives a short jolt to certain places in the arm in my case. The Doctor did the second part in which he used fine needles (acupuncture size). He said I have spinal nerve #7 damage which he called "chronic". I had more pain than usual yesterday after the test but it seems to have quieted down some today. I will get a final report from the ordering doctor on Mar. 31.

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Traveler)))))) ~

Thanks for letting us know about your EMG. I hope your pain will subside soon, and that your doctor will have a course of treatment for you, after reading the final report on your test.

Keep us posted, and as I said, try posting in our Spinal Disorders and Chronic Pain forums, where folks gather to discuss exactly what you are experiencing.

Take care ~

Love & Light,

Rose

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Community Member

yes it can be

16. The following user says "thanks"

I've had a few EMG's and nerve conduction tests. The EMG they stick a small needle in different places in your muscle and there a small electrical charge they put threw it, it wasn't very painful but you do feel it. The nerve conduction test is a little more painful, the last one I had they neurologist used what looked like a Taser gun and the shock did hurt, he zapped me quit a few times in different places.

18. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Traveler, I have had several Nerve Conduction test but I didn't want to get in to the pain part. The first one was horrible, but the second one I hardly felt. Since these test effect different people in different ways I did not want to scare you to death. I also think it depends on the Dr. A different Dr. did the second one and he was very gentle and made me feel like he was concerned about how it was affecting me. So you see, I've learned how to try relaxing and I find that helps.

I hope things will workout well for you.

take care, Julia
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

20. The following user says "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast