Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just lost my pain Doc because of Obamacare.

Community Member

Angry Just lost my pain Doc because of Obamacare.

It wasn't bad enough that I had to buy insurance I can't afford and can't use anywhere, now my pain doctor can't prescribe for me because I pay him cash. The powers that be consider that to be the same as me paying cash for drugs. Now I have to find someone to help me finish my titration down.

I think I will go to the marijuana people after I no longer take dilaudid, I read that it was good for nerve pain and maybe I can grow that myself. I will miss Dr. A, he has helped me for about 12 years, the best pain management I ever had.
    If no pain, no gain is true, where is everything I should have gained?
    DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 20 years
    4-12-09 Trip to Laser Spine in Florida. Nerve pain 90% gone.
    Off opiate, using Marijuana tincture, working well.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Damn sorry to hear that Lil E :( At least in CA it's "legal" to get medicinal marijuana :)
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

4. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I'm SO SO sorry! I lost my health insurance too and must pay for everything related to my Cerebral Palsy out of pocket. It sucks!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

6. The following user says "thanks"

Lil E - my heart goes out to you. Definitly check out the MMJ - They have vaporizers with thc cartridges if you have lung problems - the smoke is a lt cleaner and still has the calming effect. I got tossed frm my medicaid provider, who before tossing me cut me from 180 to 90 - oh what $%&^& fun.
    then of course the VA will only pick me up at 90 - no compassion at all - gave me all of 30 Tylenol 3 to help with a full mouth dental extraction the rest will be unspoken - I can't smoke - it legal here too - AND arizona has spoken - federal laws that they don't agree with - they ignore -I don't see if you have C/P how they can deny you medicaid - I truly feel for you and hope it gets better. I asked my VA shrink what should be done for chronic pain - he COULD NOT ANSWER ME - same with another drug he gives me - he has told me that "higher up's have decreed that I have to taper off , asked why, he had no answers except the DEA. I do not want to seem bitter but wait until THEY get old and can get NO relief - maybe Karma will even things out as I would not wish my condition or yours on anybody. Anyway, I will pray for you, I am a minister and always try to help. If you ever want to speak frankly, PM Me.
    Blessings
    alex44
    Skypilot

Lile sorry to hear this news. I hope you can qualify for MMJ and it does the job for your pain.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

9. The following user says "thanks"

Community Member

Thanks guys I always count on you to at least commiserate. Alex, I don't qualify for anything because my husband gets too much from state disability plus disability insurance he had from work. Too much according to them! I have an appointment with a new doc, I need to finish my titration. I'm down to 32 mg dilaudid daily from 48mg, not feeling too good. My daughter has tried MMJ and knows people who do so I have help with it. In my case ingesting it would serve me better than smoking. I have lost my doctors who have been with me for 10+ years because they won't take Obamacare insurance, it doesn't pay enough. Some doctors are not taking ANY insurance due to ridiculous guidelines and payment issues.

11. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

dear lil e,

i'm sorry you lost your insurance and you're titrating down from a strong painkiller like dilaudid.

if you're over 65, you should qualify for medicare. there are guidelines on income, assets and property for medicaid recipients, though.

i think incorrect information about the affordable care act hurts more people than it helps. "obamacare" is NOT an insurance. if you read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient...dable_Care_Act, you will get more information.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), commonly called the Affordable Care Act (ACA) or "ObamaCare", is a United States federal statute signed into law by President Barack Obama on March 23, 2010. Together with the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act amendment, it represents the most significant regulatory overhaul of the U.S. healthcare system since the passage of Medicare and Medicaid in 1965. The ACA was enacted to increase the quality and affordability of health insurance, lower the uninsured rate by expanding public and private insurance coverage, and reduce the costs of healthcare for individuals and the government. It introduced mechanisms like mandates, subsidies, and insurance exchanges. The law requires insurance companies to cover all applicants within new minimum standards and offer the same rates regardless of pre-existing conditions or sex. Additional reforms were increased competition, regulation, and incentives to streamline the delivery of healthcare. In 2011 the Congressional Budget Office projected that the ACA would lower both future deficits and Medicare spending.
    yes, some people lost their doctors because their insurance did not meet the standards set forth by the affordable care act. i also think your problems with getting drugs are due to the new regulations recently enacted that put painkillers in a different schedule of drugs. this has nothing to do with obamacare and is a result of the fda (food and drug administration), putting tighter regulations on certain drugs like the one you are taking (http://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml).

i hope this clears some things up for you and i hope you read about the new regulations and perhaps talk to an insurance person who can give you some advice on what type of insurance would be the best for you!

thank you for sharing and caring,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 03-19-2015 at 07:43 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

13. The following user says "thanks"

Community Member

I didn't lose my insurance, I was forced to buy insurance that I can't afford and no doctors take. I got it from an Anthem/Blue Cross agent. The doctors out here won't take it due to not being paid enough, the insurance meets the guide lines. We were offered two choices Anthem or Kaiser, bad or worse. Pain Management is being phased out, they don't want anyone using enough opiate medication to do any good unless you're terminal. Back to the bad old days.

15. The following user says "thanks"

jeanie, the changes in the law brought about by the ACA has hurt many middle class workers and it isn't misinformation. That's all I will say since this isn't a political site but my wife and I are paying much more for our health care as many others are. No matter what the claims are for the ACA it hasn't lived up to the claims but when politicians get in bed with insurance companies to come up with changes in health care we can't expect anything else.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

17. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

I hope the MMJ helps. It can be ingested through everything from cookies and candies to capsules. That typically works better for body issues. Higher CBD level than THC level. Those with both mental and physical often like the levels high in both. Research the medical cannabis forums. I just got dumped by my new paîn doc. My new pain med I can get is 800 mg ibuprofen from 2mg of methadone a day the doc actually told me to smoke more MMJ if it helps. Thanks doc. Great help.

19. The following user says "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast