Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home

Distinguished Community Member

Thanks Rose, Each day is even better. I believe those parathyroids are waking up. I have to say that I'm kind of glad I didn't have this done back on December 17th. I would not have so great for Christmas and all the hustle and bustle. So as I've always believed everything happens for a reason.
    It's a shame your neighbor is not going to have the surgery. It's not such a difficult surgery. Mine took longer than usual because it was so large and they had scar tissue to deal with. Also the recovery is usually quicker but I had the issue with the calcium. 74 is not that old... Not having this surgery can cause some complications like kidney stones. Have they discussed it with a surgeon just to get all the details? There's a lot of great information online too.
    Mary Grace

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

So good to hear that you are continuing to improve.

With our neighbor, it might be a cultural thing (they are from India). I don't know whether she's seen a surgeon, but he did say that she has regular blood work. I agree that 74 isn't that old! The next time I see him, I will mention the risk of kidney stones. I'm not sure whether they are on line.

Healing prayers ongoing for you ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Saw the surgeon and everything is healing fine. His concern now was with my bones. I told him I was having a hard time getting the results of my bone density so he called the imaging place and got it for me. Not surprisingly I have osteoporosis. Waiting to talk with the endocrinologist to talk about whether there's anything I need to do. The good thing is it's because of the parathyroid issue and that's been resolved so it should help to slow any progression. That explains why I had the huge drop in calcium after surgery my bones were starving for calcium.
    Thank you for all your healing thoughts and prayers through this.
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

Your doctor might recommend taking a biophosphate, like Fosamax, Boniva, or Prolia. Three of my close friends had adverse side effects to Fosamax. One went to the ER thinking she was having a heart attack, but it was a Fosamax reaction. She now has esophageal damage. One experienced jaw necrosis, and continues to have jaw/dental issues even after years of not taking Fosamax. One broke her wrist, when her dog pulled on its leash.

I researched Fosamax thoroughly, when Jon was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2005, and it was clear that he could not take it, as he had to be able to stand or sit upright for an hour after taking it. And he could not do that.

My friends are taking something else now, which is not a pharmaceutical, and I can't recall the name of it. I will check with them and get the name for you.

You may just need to take good calcium/magnesium and Vitamin D3 supplements to repair your bone density, and with the parathyroid gone, your body might respond properly in absorbing these supplements.

Thinking of you and continuing to send healing prayers for you ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

I talked with the endocrinologist yesterday. She did recommend a biophosphonate. She said I was at a high risk for fractures. She said the meds can stop progression and help bones to repair the loss of density. She mentioned a few including the Fosamax, but was leaning towards Boniva. I mentioned my apprehension at taking anything long term since the only long term meds I've ever taken is my inhalers for asthma. She was fine with waiting and allowing me to get some information so in the meantime she wants another blood test for the calcium and a urine test for bone markers. Thank you for the information I will absolutley avoid the Fosamax! One thing she mentioned was complications of the esophagus which I already have an issue with that from the previous surgery but she said you just have to take it with lots of water and not lye down for a certain amount of time. I would appreciate any information you can get from your friends on what has worked for them.
    Mary Grace
    P.S. Happy Valentines Day!

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Grow Bone

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

As I mentioned, I've researched the biophosphates extensively, because they were suggested for Jonathan. They are not what they purport to be, because they actually leach the bones of calcium, like your parathyroid, while covering your bones to make them appear denser. They don't build up your bones; they coat your bones.

Fosamax, Boniva, and Prolia are all the same drug, just delivered differently. Fosamax is taken daily, Boniva is taken monthly, and Prolia is a shot given twice a year. I think this is a marketing strategy, giving women (the primary users of these drugs ~ menopausal/post menopausal women) the false idea that a shot twice a year is safer than a pill every day. It is also much easier to have a shot twice a year, than to remember to take a medication every day or once a month.

All three of these drugs have the same warnings about esophageal issues, jaw necrosis, and they all present the same risk to women of fractures, like my friend's broken wrist. My friend, who thought that she was having a heart attack, and who has long term esophageal issues, did drink lots of water, and she was always upright, because she was taking care of her disabled son. That whole spiel about not laying down is baloney.

When I told our very trusted intensivist at the hospital during Jon's marathon stay in 2011, that Fosamax was recommended for Jon in 2005, the doctor rolled his eyes. I told him that I researched it and knew Jon couldn't take it, nor would I give it to him, because it really looks like it does the opposite of what it's supposed to do. He agreed with me totally.

So, I managed to talk my friends out of taking these meds, and they pursued alternatives. Here is what my 60-something girlfriend (fractured wrist) and her 90-something Mom (jaw necrosis) take now:

We take Garden of Life Raw Calcium and Grow Factor S by Vitamin Code. They come together in a box called Grow Bone. They have Strontium and Boron in them. We take 2 calcium with breakfast, 2 calcium at lunch, and 3 of the Growth Factor S an hour or so before dinner.

Here's a link to one of the many on line places, where Grow Bone can be purchased:

http://www.allstarhealth.com/de_p_re...one_System.htm

Google it to find the best price on line. They purchase from Amazon.

Mom said that her daughter showed quite a bit of improvement in her bone density with this regimen, far more than Mom did. I'd attribute that to Mom's bones being 30 years older than her daughter's bones. But even Mom's bone density has improved. A slight improvement trumps no improvement and definitely beats deterioration.

I have no idea what my bone density is, since I've never been tested for anything (no insurance for 30 years), but now that I'm on Medicare, I guess I should find out what is happening to my body. Nonetheless, I'm thinking that at my age, and with RA and psoriatic arthritis, I am probably deficient in calcium. I do take supplements including D3. But I bet I could use a better regimen, such as theirs, which is working for them. One thing is certain for me: I will never take a biophosphate.

When I asked Jon's consulting endocrinologist what other alternatives there were to Fosamax, he said coldly, "Do nothing and let his bones crumble." No consideration was given to supporting his bone health naturally, organically, through supplementation.

Our physicians are bombarded with drug reps offering free lunches daily, plenty of samples, and speaking fee compensation, regardless of whether the doctor actually speaks to anyone anywhere. Even our most favorite and beloved physicians are part of this culture, so it behooves us to seek other options to pharmaceuticals, when and where that is possible.

Finally ~ when women in my generation refused to take pharmaceutical hormone therapy, and chose to either struggle through it, or take vitamins, supplements, soy, wild yam cremes, etc., the drug companies invented Fosamax to play on our fears of our bones weakening. As in: "Well, you didn't do HRT, now your bones will be weak, so you're going to need this to build them up."

Demographically, women are the largest marketing base for pharmaceuticals. When Big Pharma was losing money with the drop in sales of Premarin, they invented Fosamax to lure that base back into their fold and profits.

For their commercials, they hire Sally Field for Boniva, and Blythe Danner for Prolia. Sally is playing with her grandchildren in a homey atmosphere; Blythe is featured in various artificial nature/romantic scenes, and the bottom line is that she's acting. How much money goes into creating these TV ads?

These are things, which we all need to consider, when we are making our health care choices. Are we being manipulated to take these medications? Who is profiting from these meds we're taking? Is there a better, safer way for us to be healthy?

Here is what I know: my 3 friends who took Fosamax or Boniva each had one of the serious side effects. They each have residual issues from those side effects. Three out of three. Those are the worst possible odds. Two of those friends are taking Grow Bone, and they are showing improvement in their bone density. Those are the best possible odds ~ a 90 yr old woman and a 60 yr old woman. No adverse side effects reported by either one of them.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to cover all of the bases. I've kept a close watch on these drugs for 10 years now. And, in my former life, I was a marketing manager. I know how marketing campaigns work.

With love and healing prayers and energy for you ~ a calcium-rich smoothie ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 02-15-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

Glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are recovering Mary Grace! Sorry to hear about the osteoporosis....all those side effects from those meds sound awful and really scary! That is one of the reasons I like to do weightlifting, helps the bones! Hope you can find something natural like what Rose suggested to help build up the density...

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Rose sorry I haven't thanked you yet... I o appreciate your information and I'm certainly leaning toward trying to remedy this naturally. Looking up all thee vitamins that help with bone health and especially the one you mentioned. I spoke with a friend who's son had a doctoral degree in pharmaceuticals (not working with a company but a professor). Anyway he highly suggested his mom take Boniva and she almost had me convinced BUT I really hate the thought of all the concerns it brings with it. I think I'll try naturally and recheck my density and see if it works. Thank you again for your help. I totally agree that it's such a "business" it's really hard to put your trust in it. Especially when i appears there's an easier more natural way.
    Lisa thanks also. I o plan on starting an exercise regamine also.
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

Please trust that I have thoroughly researched these drugs for Jon, for myself, and for my post menopausal friends, for many, many years. My three friends suffered from their adverse side effects, as have a multitude of women, who have taken biophosphates.

Your friend may not have been on Boniva long enough to experience adverse side effects, or she may be fortunate to not have any. But, Mary Grace, I have read accounts of women on Fosamax, who have broken their hips from stepping off a curb.

Perhaps you could try the Grow Bone system for a few months, then have your bone density checked to see if there is any change. As I said, my 60-ish and 90-ish year old friends have shown improvement with this system, where they showed little or no improvement while on Fosamax and Boniva, respectively. You shouldn't have to worry about side effects with Grow Bone.

Sending healing, bone strengthening energy and prayers your way ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Rose Thank you I am going to try and naturally work on the osteoperosis. My friend ALMOST had me convinced but I just can't get past the adverse side effects of taking a medication. These complications don't claim to be rare and that scares me. I've felt really good even before surgery an I don't want to add something that could be counterproductive to my health. AS you aid I will do this and ahve the Doc redo my bone density an see if it's working. I think I'm a great candidate for this since we've corrected the reason for such drastic bone loss. Thank you for getting me so much great information I will definatlly look into the supplement you mentioned. I do know that it takes more than just calcium it takes vitamin d k magnesium and potassium. I checked out what foods are good for these also. Turned out to actually be a lot of what I eat already so that's good.
    Mary Grace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12