Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home

Distinguished Community Member

Default Home

I'm home... Thank you for all the prayers. The surgery went well. He removed one very large parathyroid. He said my calcium level dropped to normal right away. He also mentioned that this has been going on for at least ten years.He did run into some scar tissue from my previous surgery so it took a bit longer. Luckily it doesn't seem to have caused any other problems like kidney stones. I will have to check my bone density because it pulls calcium from the bones. On soft cold diet for a bit. Of course my neck and chest are sore but i'm so glad to be home before he huge snowstorm starts. Thanks again for the prayers. I'm so relieved to have it done and know there's no other complications with it.
    mary grace

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

mary grace ,

what wonderful news!

i hope your recovery goes well and you're back to normal in no time!

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

Excellent news! So happy you were able to update us so soon. I prayed for you all day and will continue sending healing prayers your way.

How amazing that your calcium level dropped to normal once that parathyroid was gone! I would have expected that result, but not immediately.

Soft and cold? Ice Cream? How about a Smoothie?!

I've also been thinking so much about the incoming blizzard, and how that would affect you with your surgery. So glad that the surgery is over, and you're fine. I'm praying the blizzard isn't as bad as they are predicting. But, get out your blankets and batten down the hatches just in case!

Take super good care of yourself, and get lots of rest!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Thank goodness! So happy you're home and OK! Hugs, Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Blog Entries

So glad the surgery went well!!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Thank you everyone... Doing pretty good and resting. Called the Dr. today because I've been taking Tums for calcium like he said but last night my hands and feet started to get really tingly. Still tingly this morning even after taking 3 Tums. I'm now taking 3, 3x day. I guess it takes a while for your body to normalize.
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

I would imagine that your system is in a kind of shock, with such a drastic change. I'm curious as to why the doctor recommended taking Tums rather than a calcium supplement. Did he mention anything about taking magnesium with the calcium?

Sending healing prayers and hoping that the tingling subsides.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

What an interesting recovery today. I've been taking Tums to help replace calcium which drops after parathyroidectomy. Yesterday I had lots of tingling in my hands and feet so ended up taking 9 Tums. Today I got up and took 3 right away. Then the tingling started in my face hands and feet. I took a couple more and it continued to get worse. Then my fingers started twitching.Then just an overall strange out of touch feeling... Called the Dr. and I had to take 5 more Tums and wait an hour. After several calls and a total of 23 (750mg)Tums the symptoms subsided. He put me on Calcitriol and 3/ 1000mg tums 3xs a day. He did explain that the 3 remaining paprathyroids are still "sleeping" from being surpressed by the overactive one. and they control the calcium. He also explained that my bones are starving for calcium. I hope this all levels out quickly. I got some tingling again tonight so I just took another Tums hopefully that's all it'll take. He did say that the Tums were better than a supplement.
    Mary Grace

In spite of he latest snow storm I did make it to my endocrinologist appointment. She tested my calcium on the spot and it was good. So the Tums and calcitriol are working and hopefully the sleepy parathyroids are waking up. I asked her how large the parathyroid was that was removed since I forgot to ask the surgeon. She said it was 7-8 centimeters! It should be about the size of a piece of rice. The surgeon has been great he called again today to check on how I was feeling. Couldn't ask for a better Dr.
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

Wonderful news! So happy that all is working as it should for you, and that you have a great doctor!

I encountered my neighbor, whose wife has a problem with her parathyroid. She is not going to have surgery at this point. I told him about your experience, and he said, "Well, she's 74. So we will see." He points to the sky and declares that they are old and their fate is in God's hands. True, but God gave us doctors too ... To each his own, I suppose.

Now play some rock and roll music and wake up those sleepy parathyroids!

Be well, dear friend ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast