Thread: Vp shunt

Hybrid View

Default Vp shunt

I had a VP Shunt put in about 5 month's ago and I am starting to hard sharp pains in my right side and all along the line of the tube. And headaches along the tube line in my right side of my head. Does anyone else have this and what should I do,or do I just deal with it.

When I had my last shunt revision in 1999, I had occasional pains on the side where my vp shunt is placed. I have pains off and on over the years. I have been recently put back on Topamax for migraines. My neurosurgeon suggested that I purchase a water pillow. This can alleviate some head discomfort while sleeping. I have not yet bought one but have heard great reviews. I think you can buy them online. I hope this has helped.

New Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tinapea123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a VP Shunt put in about 5 month's ago and I am starting to hard sharp pains in my right side and all along the line of the tube.
    Sometimes some pain is caused by your body not used to having CSF draining into your abdomen. It burns. Took me years to get used to it.
    The drain tube can sometimes rub against your insides and so long as the pain it isn't to bad you wind up getting used to it.
    First hand experience. It's doubtful you've developed adhesions yet. Only 5 months. Both my shunts where they cross across the right side of my chest have them.
    Two choices. Live with the pain or they'll have to replace both of my vp shunts. From top to bottom because I have them so many years.

And headaches along the tube line in my right side of my head. Does anyone else have this and what should I do,or do I just deal with it.
    Headaches are something else. A number of people with shunts have to live with that side effect. The neurosurgeon's don't even know what causes them.
    My headache, which isn't a true headache but a pain that has changed so many times over the years. It started March 1996 and has run non-stop to,
    whats today's date? 7-3-2015. If I live another 15 years it will be with this same headache. Something else you might have to get used to.
    Some people who have hydrocephalus or come down with it don't respond well to the best of the best neurosurgery.
    Sorry.