Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile Happy New Year!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

((((((New Year HUGS to All)))))) ~

Another Christmas is behind us, and a New Year awaits us.

Whew! That was a lot of work!

We were decorating our tree on Christmas Eve, when our neighbor stopped by to pick up our gifts for his family. He was aghast that we were just starting our tree decorating and said, "We put up our tree the day after Thanksgiving. And we take it down January 2nd. When will you take yours down?"

Jim and I looked at each other, grinned, shrugged our shoulders, and I said, "Valentine's Day, maybe?"

Jim and I were able to eat our Christmas dinner together, which was very nice. Tonight, we'll each dine alone. Me about 10 p.m., after Jon's set up, and Jim, about 2 a.m., after Jon's asleep. I'm making a vegan "ham," potatoes au gratin, and steamed asparagus with lemon garlic butter sauce. The "ham" serves 14! So we'll be having sandwiches for weeks ...

Tomorrow, our Ohio State Buckeyes are playing Alabama for a chance at the national championship. We're pretty excited about this game, as our Buckeyes have had a great deal of misfortune this year, and they still made it to the playoffs. The game is being played during Jim's sleep shift, so he'll be getting some pre and post game sleep tomorrow.

We will begin the new year with a visit from the podiatry gals, then Jon's nurse for a catheter change, and hopefully, we'll get back into the groove with Jon's PT.

Once those visits are out of the way, we'll have to tackle the termite situation. I have a feeling that this will lead to a lot of construction work around here replacing wood, insulation, and who knows what. I've watched what other homes in our neighborhood have had done after termite tenting, so I figure we're in for more than a few repairs.

We also need our giant eucalyptus trimmed, and our roof cleaned and treated for algae and spores. And while we're at it, we need to redo the interior.

With all of this in our future, I just pray that Jon is stable and that Jim and I can continue to function and do the needed work to prepare for this construction. They're going to have to work around us, and it won't be easy for them or for us.

To avoid freaking out in anticipation of what is ahead, I'm trying to think positively ~ it will be worth it, and our home will be in better condition, with more years without these problems. It will be a good thing to have these problems/issues resolved finally, because 10 or more years from now, we will not be up to any of this. I guarantee it!

A New Year! We Forge Ahead! Right?! Right!

Thank you all so much for sharing your lives and children here, and allowing me to share mine. My prayers are with you all for a healthy, peaceful and happy new year ~

Abundant blessings upon you and your loved ones ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey rose !

happy new year's day!

i did my mantel for christmas a few days before thanksgiving. i had a summer runner up and summer colored candles, so i thought i'd just skip autumn and go for chirstmas ! but autumn colors and christmas colors are similar, so, what the heck?

i bought a vine tree a few years ago. my financial situation has gotten tight, so 50 bucks for a tree every year doesn't seem worth it. we have a huge market here called "eastern market", where you can find produce, decorations, meat, etc., all year 'round. this woman was making vine trees when i was there one year. i asked her to make me an almost 6 ft. tall one. she wraps dried, supple vines around a metal frame that looks like a tomato cage upside down. my dog, nora, was sniffing and pawing it the year i bought it. so i didn't use it for 2 years. it lost it's "eau de animal" smell and i put it up this year. i don't have it decorated just right, yet. i'll prolly leave it downstairs and decorate it right through the year. then it'll just have to be moved from upstairs to downstairs around thanksgiving.

i'm happy you and hubby had some time together and that jon seems to be in a relatively calm period. what wonderful blessings for you!

i wanted to ask a question of your group.

both my son and i have allergies. i take flonase to control mine and if it's not working, i'll use zyrtec. my son (36), has had this cough for a year and it's been driving me crazy. his doctor changed one of his meds that might have been the culprit, but i didn't notice he had any relief. the last month he's been having a deep cough. i told him he better go to the doctor because he might have pneumonia. well, he has extrinsic asthma, asthma that is caused by allergies. he had an infection in his bronchial tubes and he was given a z-pack for antibiotics, prednisone to calm and open up his bronchial airways and an inhaler. he is so much better, but he has to keep the allergies under control.

does anyone here use one of those ionic air room filters? does it work? are expensive brands better? i have taken all the carpeting out of my house already. i won't get rid of the dogs and my son doesn't want me to. i had my heating ducts cleaned a few weeks ago and they suggested an ultra violet light in the ducts, but i have read the downside to that. so i am looking at these ionic filters that run constantly.

thanks for any advice!

i hope all your children have peace and as good health as they can this year! and i hope all you great moms/caregivers get some extra sleep!

thank you for sharing and caring,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 01-01-2015 at 04:24 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

3. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Happy New Year/Happy first day of 2015! I had a nice quiet New Year and Christmas. I spent time with family and friends and got some nice gifts like massagers to help with muscle tension. We put our tree up 1 or 2 weeks after Thanksgiving. We make vegan "Turkey" some years and it is actually really good. I hope the "ham" was good Rose! I'm sorry about your allergies tic chick. I don't know anything about allergies. For 2015 I will release my newest film onto youtube. I will also try to hang around here more.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

5. The following user says "thanks"

So happy to hear that you all ha a nice holiday an time with family. That's my favorite part the quality time with family. I took some great pictures so I can make another photo book for Kathleen, she loves her photo books and sharing them with friends. One of my gifts from my aughter Kelly was a painting class. It's a one time class an they step you through a painting, she got one for herself an my 2 sisters also. We're going tonight.

I pray for all my friends here for a happy an very healthy 2015! Thank you for all the support an advice you have all given.
    Mary Grace

7. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Jeannie)))))) ~

So nice to see you here!

Good thinking to skip the fall stuff and go straight to the Christmas decorations! Your vine tree sounds lovely (please share a photo, as we are looking for tree alternatives).

About ionic air cleaners ~ I don't know whether it was ionic, but we tried an air cleaner MANY years ago, with HEPA filters etc. (I think), and we didn't notice a difference. The filters required frequent changing, and they cost almost as much as the machine.

Has your son been tested for specific allergens? Have things been ruled in/out? Environmental versus ingested (food, eg., wheat, nuts, soy, dairy)? It helps if you can narrow down the culprits.

Before we purchase anything, we shop online and read reviews by consumers, who purchased the product. You might give that a whirl, just to see what folks have to say about their results with the cleaners.

Also, your son might want to consider visiting a Naturopath for alternative options to managing his allergies and asthma.

Wishing you a very healthy, happy, and peaceful new year!

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

So glad that you enjoyed time with family and friends. Massagers! Great gift!

Yes, Tofurkey is very tasty, but we were looking for a change this year. On Christmas, I made Field Roast, which is veggies surrounded by a flaky crust. It was tasty, but heavy. For New Year, I made the Vegan ham, and it is okay, but not exciting. I expected a firmer texture and more flavor. We buy Yves veggie deli meats, and they have a "ham" or "Canadian bacon" flavor. This vegan ham doesn't.

Looking forward to your premiere!

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

A painting class! How fun! I hope you enjoyed it!

I'm sure that you love taking the photos and putting them in a book for Kathleen as much as she loves seeing and sharing the photos. What a great gift to give to yourself and your sweet daughter.

Wishing everyone a healthy, happy and peaceful new year!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Thanks Rose, we had a fantastic time! When we got there we were a little intimidate an scared that we could not possibly do this. BUT it was fun an our pictures came out pretty good.P1010668.jpg
    Of course we were out way past my bedtime.
    Mary Grace

10. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hi Everyone! I'm a little late to the party - our daughter Natalie has been visiting with her boyfriend and it's been absolutely wonderful having them here. I've been cooking a lot and visiting with extended family :) Today I visited my Mom who wasn't well. She has pneumonia, I think, but we really don't want to give her antibiotics because the last time we did, she got CDifficil. Anyway, hopefully she'll feel better soon. I wanted to share my New Year blog (not really anything to do with New Years, but it's just kind of a reflection on another year gone and time passing...) http://www.donnathomson.com/2014/12/...caregiver.html

I send all my beloved CN friends a big hug and I wish you all a VERY Happy and Healthy New Year to you and your families! Donna xo
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

12. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

I've been trying to analyze your paintings ~ each one the same, but different. The shape of your trees, the size of your suns, the arching of the trees, the number and placement of the flowers ~ I think these must reflect the personality of each of you in some way. Fascinating!

Oh ~ and from the "Department of What Are the Odds of This Happening?":

The other morning, I encountered a 77 year old neighbor, who is from India. We always chat for a few minutes, and he asks about Jon and Jim, and I ask about his wife, son and family. He told me that his 74 year old wife has been diagnosed with parathyroid problems due to high calcium. Interesting, as they are vegans and don't eat dairy. Surgery has been recommended, but she is hesitant. Because of your experience, I was able to communicate with him better.

Any news for you on your situation and the next step? Sending healing prayers for you always ~

((((((Donna)))))) ~

I'm so sorry that your mom is ill, and I pray that she doesn't have pneumonia. I remember her ordeal with C-diff, and I'm sure she and you and no one wants a recurrence of that for her.

So glad that you enjoyed your time with Natalie and her beau. I'm sure you created lots of fabulous meals/feasts, as well as memories!

As you know, I share your concern about being an aging careprovider. My greatest fear is dying before Jon does, which is not the natural way of thinking about the order of things. My second greatest fear is being incapacitated, so that I'm unable to care for him. With every year, these become more looming possibilities. We don't have options, like the Rotary House, for Jon.

When I hurt my knee in November, and our friend stayed with us for 4 days to help us, she remarked more than once, "I don't know how you two do this day in and day out."

The answer is: PRACTICE! The fact that we do it day in and day out is why we can do it. I think of the adage that if you've lifted a calf every day since its birth, then, when the calf is a cow, you can still lift it. I don't think that's true, actually, that one could lift a cow! But then, Jon is 6'1" and weighs about 160 lbs, so to me ~ that's a cow!

This is why I walk 2 miles every morning. Why I go up and down our stairs many times a day. To keep in shape to lift Jon.

While aging is probably a factor (oh, who are we kidding? Age IS a factor! ), in your situation with caring for Nicholas, you may also want to consider that you've been out of practice, since Nick moved in 2011. Three/four years. You're rusty. (No offense! ) Not because you're old, but because you haven't been physically caring for Nick these past few years. That makes a difference.

When Jon has been in the hospital for weeks on end, and we finally get home, Jim and I have to retrain ourselves in our home routine. So, after years of not providing hands on, physical care to Nick, you are bound to be rusty.

And, just because you aren't providing his physical care, that doesn't mean that you're no longer Nick's careprovider. You're his team leader, you're the CEO of his care, as always, and that will never change.

For Nicholas, he has independence, and strong, confident, caring young folks, who are his friends, meeting his needs in a safe environment. No concerns about abuse or neglect, because Nick is well loved. You remain connected to him through face to face and internet communication. And you can now be Mom, and he doesn't have to worry about your physical pain/strain/stress in providing his physical care needs.

Having said all that, and I know you count your blessings in all the care Nick is receiving, if I were in your situation, I would feel exactly as you do. Because no one knows or loves our treasures the way that we do. We're their Mamas, and we need to be there for them.

Just know that you are there for Nick, Donna, and that time, age, situations, laws, regulations, etc. will never alter that truth. You are providing Nick with exactly what he needs. And you are a fantastic Mom and caregiver.

Healing prayers on their way for your mom, and you and your beautiful family ~

HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Love & Light,

Rose

Rose, The painting was so fun. We had no painting skills so we were all pleasantly surprised at the outcome. It was very interesting to see the whole class' outcome each one different but the same picture. Great idea to analyze the pictures at the en of class. That would be fun.

That's quite a coincidence about your neighbor! It's more common than most people know. I hope you were able to put their mind at ease about surgery. It's generally a very quick and easy surgery and quick recovery. Also from what I've read patients fell much better than before surgery almost right away. Mine is only complicated because of the previous surgery in the same area. High blood calcium an high parathyroid levels is always hyperparathyroidism and sometimes they don't even need any imaging before surgery. The high blood calcium doesn't really have anything to o with how much calcium you ingest it's high in the blood because it's taking it from your bones. Hopefully they will do a bone density scan. It can also cause Kidney stones so testing the calcium in urine is another test they may want to do.
    My sestamibi scan is schedule for January 12th. I hope surgery can be schedule quickly so I can get this all behind me.
    Mary Grace

15. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Rose, thank you once again for your generous and kind words of wisdom. You are right of course, I am out of practice and had I kept caring for Nick at home, I would still be doing it without much of a problem (except for the sleep which would be non-existent)! Probably I could manage the physical part if I did it on a regular basis, but because of my neck and back issues, I've lost all my upper body strength over the last couple of years. Anyway, we are so blessed that we have a great care team and we thankful every day. Jon is blessed to have you and Jim and that's probably the biggest understatement I've ever written. Thank you, Rose, for words - I truly feel much calmer and happier about the state of the world with me in it.

Mary Grace, good luck on the 12th! I'll be thinking of you.

Sending much love to my dear friends here on CN - hey, I noticed that a LOT of people are reading our posts, but few chime in. Who are these people reading, I wonder?
    Lots of love, Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast